Stereo vs. Mono "Pet Sounds"

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
tylerbcrawford
gettin' sounds

Re: Stereo vs. Mono "Pet Sounds"

Post by tylerbcrawford » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:01 am

I think it's also worth mentioning that the reason it was mixed in mono was because Brian was pretty much deaf in one ear.

So if I have both ears, how come my music isn't twice as good as his?

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:11 am

The mono mix is great to listen to when you want to be a historian or if you're listening casually with dinner or something. If I'm going to be listening to the disc in headphones, I like the stereo image.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:19 am

I think I've probably listened to this album way too many times (if that's possible), because my ears end up treating the mono and stereo version as if they were two different albums. I have the cd with both, and I'll just play the thing straight through because the versions are so different to me. Can't wait to hear Smile.
My wife gave me the Pet Sounds boxed set a couple of years ago, and that has to be one of my most prized possesions. The instrumental-only, vocals-only, and alternate takes never get old, never get dull, and really just shed light on the genius that was at work in those years for Brian.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:26 am

tylerbcrawford wrote:I think it's also worth mentioning that the reason it was mixed in mono was because Brian was pretty much deaf in one ear.
True he's deaf in one ear, but I don't think that's the reason for the mono mix. More like wanting to emulate Spector's wall of sound, plus the fact that engineers were far better at mono mixing, as stereo was relatively new for pop records, i.e., they'd work alot more on getting the mono mix just right.
beware bee wear

spectralgrey
gettin' sounds

Post by spectralgrey » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:11 am

I've had the Pet Sounds Sessions box set for a while now with both versions, but I more recently purchased the best version I've heard. It's mono, on 180 gram vinyl. There is so much space and depth, even in mono. I highly suggest picking up a copy if you can find one. It's a pretty recent release.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:56 am

joeysimms wrote:
tylerbcrawford wrote:I think it's also worth mentioning that the reason it was mixed in mono was because Brian was pretty much deaf in one ear.
True he's deaf in one ear, but I don't think that's the reason for the mono mix. More like wanting to emulate Spector's wall of sound, plus the fact that engineers were far better at mono mixing, as stereo was relatively new for pop records, i.e., they'd work alot more on getting the mono mix just right.
Yeah, I think Tom's right--you read about the Beatles sessions from the same era--they always seem to think of the mono mix as the "real" mix. I wonder how analagous it is to 5.1 right now...

BTW, there is evidently a 5.1 Smile mix in the works, too.

dictaphone
pushin' record

Post by dictaphone » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:40 pm

Mono or not at all. Not to be obnoxious, it's just my opinion.

There are some vocals that they couldn't find for the stereo version, so they just left them out. They mention that in the cd booklet.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:06 am

I definitely like the fuller sound of mono.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:00 am

ryanlikestorock wrote:The mono mix is great to listen to when you want to be a historian or if you're listening casually with dinner or something. If I'm going to be listening to the disc in headphones, I like the stereo image.
I don't know how I missed this, but it's funny.

I gotsa lotsa mono reckids, buddy, and i listens to 'em all the time on headphones, especially in headphones.. are you tryin to tell me that my listening is not, ghasp serious??

Nice way to state a preference!

Have you ever made a tape with both mono and stereo mixes one after the other? How about this: mono, left side stereo, right side stereo, stereo, so 4 mixes each song. You will be surprised and amazed!
beware bee wear

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:14 am

For what it's worth, remember that Brian Wilson is basically deaf in one ear. Has always been during is music career. Mono mixes are preferred by Brianistas. That said, all of the recent Becah Boys re-mixes have been amazing to listen to. They have uncovered alot of intricate work that has been buried in Brian's work for years. You just have to remember that the stereo mixes are work done by Brian restoration experts, not by the twenty odd year-old ears of Brian Wilson.

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:22 am

i'm torn on this issue. i honestly can't say i prefer one over the other. what i like about the stereo mix is that it brings out some details that were burried in the mono mix. little, snaky guitar melodies, and other more subtle things in the arrangements.

but there are times when in the mono mix, certain melodies are louder, more upfront, whereas in the stereo mix those same melodies are panned to the side and lose a little of their power.

but when all is said and done, i honestly couldn't live without either mix. i'm glad we have them both.

KOKI
studio intern

Post by KOKI » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:49 am

i cant say etiher wich are my favorite, its better to have both options and very enjoyable to have different sound appreciations of such a wonderfull record, i was listening to smile v111 bootleg , there you can enjoy part by part how the smile songs were recorded , its a really nice boot of smile, and also can listen to brian giving directions to the musicians, how he plays with mic approaching and the musicians distance , try to find it.
wilson / young / spector / boetcher

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:55 am

I think the best thing about the whole situation is that you can listen both ways ..like two experiences..

rydberg
pushin' record

Post by rydberg » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:26 am

Another vote for mono. I grew up listening to the Beach Boys (cool parents) so I had a certain sound ingrained in my head. When I heard the stereo version, I was prepared to be blown away by some sort of ?ber-recording. Instead, I felt it was much weaker and less exciting...less glued-together.

Eh. Whatever. A great record is a great record, even if they make it in a few diffferent flavors.

P.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:55 am

Listen to the Kiss Me Baby stereo re-mix on the Endless Harmony soundtrack. Stunning.