ampguy
buyin' a studio

is this industrial??

Post by ampguy » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:48 pm

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Re: is this industrial??

Post by A.L. » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:07 pm

I nearly peed myself when I read the thread title.

But you know, I was expecting another canned backing track, the usual. This cut so far has totally defied my expectations and I love it. Not in some ironic way, it's just really great and it's amazingly cohesive.

It is not industrial, and it absolutely has to go on your ampguy CD, along with one of those kid recording songs and, well, cortez too but I guess that's out due to copyright stuff.

Man ampguy, respect.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:14 pm

Cool, so just curious, what category would you say this fits in??

I'll throw it on the DVD-A's we're bringing to AES to test out all that expensive stuff with...
A.L. wrote:I nearly peed myself when I read the thread title.

But you know, I was expecting another canned backing track, the usual. This cut so far has totally defied my expectations and I love it. Not in some ironic way, it's just really great and it's amazingly cohesive.

It is not industrial, and it absolutely has to go on your ampguy CD, along with one of those kid recording songs and, well, cortez too but I guess that's out due to copyright stuff.

Man ampguy, respect.

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:25 pm

I don't know. Some kind of 'heavy psychedelic' thing, maybe, though it's not super heavy.

Do you know of these guys? http://www.acidmothers.com/

They're kind of weird hippies, if you go here http://aquariusrecords.org/ and type in acid mothers temple on the search you'll find some sound samples. A lot of their stuff is way stranger / more difficult / heavier than what you're up to but I see some relationships in some of the guitar playing.

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Post by Isolation » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:37 am

great stuff ampy! i wish this were industrial...but yeah, i would go more the rock route as far as classifying it...i love the acoustics to it...very roomy...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:24 am

Thanks, I'll check them out. I've been told I sometimes play like the guitarist in Big Brother and the Holding Co.
A.L. wrote:I don't know. Some kind of 'heavy psychedelic' thing, maybe, though it's not super heavy.

Do you know of these guys? http://www.acidmothers.com/

They're kind of weird hippies, if you go here http://aquariusrecords.org/ and type in acid mothers temple on the search you'll find some sound samples. A lot of their stuff is way stranger / more difficult / heavier than what you're up to but I see some relationships in some of the guitar playing.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:26 am

Thanks! What does industrial require? an Industrial drum backing?

It was recorded totally quiet with an amplifier cab simulator going DI into the mixer, but during mastering, I did use Steinberg's Wunderverb3 and Autopan.
Isolation wrote:great stuff ampy! i wish this were industrial...but yeah, i would go more the rock route as far as classifying it...i love the acoustics to it...very roomy...

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Post by Isolation » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:43 am

industrial can be so many things really...in this case i would definitely use a repetitive drum beat or some metronomic machine noise, add that in, maybe a little synthiness (maybe) and you'll have a 'wall of sound' (inspired by the industrialists of the 70's) going on...that wall of sound would definitely make it industrial...if indeed that's what you want it to be...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:05 am

ampguy sucks.. I'm so over it.
-Matthew Macchio$tab