Hilarious: John Stewart on Crossfire- must see

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Hilarious: John Stewart on Crossfire- must see

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:33 pm

This is so funny, it's actually heartwarming. I never much respected Jon Stewart : the daily show's humour seemed slightly lukewarm compared to that of the original team with Craig Kilbourne (then again, I haven't watched much daily show, or tv since those times, for that matter.) Not much respect, until now, that is:

Jon Stewart interviewed on CNN

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Hilarious: John Stewart on Crossfire- must see

Post by ubertar » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:44 am

That was cool. I wish they would have just let him talk. I liked it when he called Carlson a dick.

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:59 am

Here's a transcript, though I doubt it compares to the real thing. Man, that was great - I like that Stewart went after Tucker's bowtie.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:09 am

that was rad. I'm just happy to see that he can hold his own.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:35 am

King Kong Kitchie Kitchie wrote:Here's a transcript, though I doubt it compares to the real thing. Man, that was great - I like that Stewart went after Tucker's bowtie.
Actually, it is useful - they were miced very badly - it's quite surprising read what was being said.

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:45 am

It was interesting to watch. John seemed to want to sabotage himself, in terms of not living up to the expectations they had of him. (to be light and funny) He knew he was sort of being a drag, (as far as entertainment value was concerned)
Right at the time the show ended, he remarked very cynically, "that went great." or something like that.
I think he'll be surprised how well his frustration went over with the public, who are also frustrated.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:49 am

helstab wrote:that was rad. I'm just happy to see that he can hold his own.
On the contrary - the guy's a professional 'hold his own-er', and, on watching this three or four times, you can see exactly how well prepared he was for this. Apart from Bowtie boy's 'three suck-up questions', the hosts are thinking off the top of their head, and completley unprepared for any sort of controversy from their guest.

Washington: Hollywood for the ugly.

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:05 pm

Tucker Carlson is annoying and obnoxious.

Whereas Margaret Carslon is funny and intelligent.

saultime
pushin' record

Post by saultime » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:40 pm

I don't think they ever let john make the point he was trying to make about TV news and "spin ally." I drives me nuts too: after the debates they immediately cut to the spin rooms where each party's talking heads repeat the same, pre-prepared lines about how great their candidate did. It's like they're all handed a memo before the debate even starts, and told what talking points to repeat over and over again all night long, no matter how absurd or off the wall it is--and the media never, ever, EVER calls them on it. They just provide them with an open forum to go on and on with their talking points, ask them a couple of softball questions (that they NEVER directly answer, if just ignore) and then it's "back to you, Tom," and that's IT.

There's no debate or discussion, ever. It's just one side reading from their script, and the other side reading from theirs. It's a joke.

There's a longer interview with John Stewert on NPR's Fresh Air that's worth checking out.
When is the Douchebag Rapture?

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:26 pm

In case anyone might be interested to read other opinions.
http://mediamatters.org/comments/latest/200410160003

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:27 pm

that was awesome! it's nice to see somebody stand up for something for a change.

foley
pushin' record

Post by foley » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:57 pm

Ok, I completely agree that this video is awesome, and Tucker really is a dick. However, I saw the Kerry interview and I thought he (Stewart) completely missed a chance with that guy. I think Jon Stewart is EXTREMELY influential right now, and should have asked Kerry harder questions. He also did this with Ed Gillespie, and the media coordinator for Bush/Cheney. He has them on, you think he's going to drill them, and it never happens.

I know it is just a comedy show, but it's not just a comedy show, and he (Stewart) knows it. Though Tucker is definitely a dick, he had a point (imo).

But the rest of it - pure brilliance.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:15 pm

foley wrote:Ok, I completely agree that this video is awesome, and Tucker really is a dick. However, I saw the Kerry interview and I thought he (Stewart) completely missed a chance with that guy. I think Jon Stewart is EXTREMELY influential right now, and should have asked Kerry harder questions. He also did this with Ed Gillespie, and the media coordinator for Bush/Cheney. He has them on, you think he's going to drill them, and it never happens.

I know it is just a comedy show, but it's not just a comedy show, and he (Stewart) knows it. Though Tucker is definitely a dick, he had a point (imo).

But the rest of it - pure brilliance.
no, I think he gets it.. there are more important things at stake here.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

theBlubberRanch
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBlubberRanch » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:42 pm

First off, Tucker Carlson has no point.
And secondly John Stewart does get it and he probably said the most real thing on that show ever.
The way this whole deal unfolds is completely surreal and John called them on it. He had those two fuckers reeling and they had nothing. I loved when Tucker would come back with things like, "I thought you were gonna be funny."
And what's wrong with asking Kerry hows he's holding up?
A. The interviews on the Daily show are like 2 minutes, so what kind of real question are you going to ask?
B. It's got to be hard on a person to endure all the BS to become President, so why not ask how he's doing.
I always thought John was funny but now I have respect for the guy.

And by the way thanks for the link, I enjoyed it immensely.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:54 pm

TrumpsHair wrote:It was interesting to watch. John seemed to want to sabotage himself, in terms of not living up to the expectations they had of him. (to be light and funny) He knew he was sort of being a drag, (as far as entertainment value was concerned)
Right at the time the show ended, he remarked very cynically, "that went great." or something like that.
I think he'll be surprised how well his frustration went over with the public, who are also frustrated.

On the contrary, he did exactly what he set out to do: making his point and being hilarous to watch to boot, at the expense of the show's hosts. He was way more prepared for this than either of them.