Edwards in 2008

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Edwards in 2008

Post by wrenhunter » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:28 pm

Let's face it: we need a Southerner. LBJ, Carter, and Clinton are where it's at. JFK (the real one) was a fluke -- and '60 was a squeaker, too.

Saletan is making a good case for Johnny Boy over at Slate. He's almost as slick as the Willie and the ladies love him. Hell, he's better looking than his likely opponent -- the Jebster.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Edwards in 2008

Post by wing » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:34 pm

Edwards? With his political experience, that would just worsen the Democratic Party's chances.

jdsowa
pushin' record

Post by jdsowa » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:31 pm

Edwards, as a smooth-talking southern christian, has to be seen as the best candidate. But, like wing said, he has very little experience. Relinquishing his senate seat was a major tactical mistake. He could try to run for something in '06, and wait it out till the '12 presidential race. He would be 59 years old, then.

Obama is 42 years old right now. Still too early, too. Oh yea, he's black and this is a country full of rednecks. He stands no chance, now or in 55 years.

Hillary is very intelligent and is an eloquent speaker. She has the Clinton stigma, though. I think she can shed some of that when the public sees her speak and debate at length, but her mere presence would motivate the republican base to the polls in record numbers.

My guess is the republicans will run Rudy Giuliani. He would be an extremely strong candidate. He has very strong 'leadership' qualities and is a very effective speaker. He scares me very much. I hate him with a passion.

I'm hoping that within the next 4 years we can amend the consitution and get a republican nomination for Arnold. I would vote for him. He is extremely popular in California. He can do no wrong, and any bill he endorses gets passed. In addition to his celebrity status, he has a simple style of speaking that would appeal to the retards in this country.

What it boils down to is that the democratic party is too weak. Their platform is outdated. Even if a southern christian liberal is elected in '08, it's only going to be a temporary diversion. Those who are concerned with the impending erosion of civil liberties and the 'Christening' of our country need to consider alternative means of activism. The seeds must be planted for a socially liberal republican nominee in 2008.

Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

Post by Dr. Sausage » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:38 pm

jdsowa wrote:Edwards, as a smooth-talking southern christian, has to be seen as the best candidate. But, like wing said, he has very little experience. Relinquishing his senate seat was a major tactical mistake. He could try to run for something in '06, and wait it out till the '12 presidential race. He would be 59 years old, then.

Obama is 42 years old right now. Still too early, too. Oh yea, he's black and this is a country full of rednecks. He stands no chance, now or in 55 years.

Hillary is very intelligent and is an eloquent speaker. She has the Clinton stigma, though. I think she can shed some of that when the public sees her speak and debate at length, but her mere presence would motivate the republican base to the polls in record numbers.

My guess is the republicans will run Rudy Giuliani. He would be an extremely strong candidate. He has very strong 'leadership' qualities and is a very effective speaker. He scares me very much. I hate him with a passion.

I'm hoping that within the next 4 years we can amend the consitution and get a republican nomination for Arnold. I would vote for him. He is extremely popular in California. He can do no wrong, and any bill he endorses gets passed. In addition to his celebrity status, he has a simple style of speaking that would appeal to the retards in this country.

What it boils down to is that the democratic party is too weak. Their platform is outdated. Even if a southern christian liberal is elected in '08, it's only going to be a temporary diversion. Those who are concerned with the impending erosion of civil liberties and the 'Christening' of our country need to consider alternative means of activism. The seeds must be planted for a socially liberal republican nominee in 2008.
God damn....You have it all figured out. :roll:

jdsowa
pushin' record

Post by jdsowa » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:40 pm

strat0tele,

great post.

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:44 pm

Sorry, Edwards was chosen for all the wrong reasons.

I believe that they thought his good looks would be an asset, especially compared to Cheney, something about the female vote.

I like the guy, but he lacks the warmth, the spontaneity, the personal "je ne sais quoi" of what takes to get elected.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:45 pm

Edwards is already in over his head, but you gotta admire his congeniality and his moxie. I should say was, now he's unemployed.

Edwards didn't help the ticket. I think the Dems should be what they are, quit trying to appease and start trying to convince. If that means two candidates from either Cambridge or Berkeley, so be it.

Part of Bush's appeal to the wayward supporting his legitimacy is that he's not a sycophant. He just lies to his base and grins.

tomhampton
gettin' sounds

Post by tomhampton » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:51 pm

edwards was invited onto the ticket to hopefully deliver some of the red states that the dems lost in 2000.

needless to say, mission NOT accomplished.

i don't really think that edwards has a future on the national political scene. he'll be seen as a failure among his own party for not delivering what he was brought on to deliver.

t
http://www.tomhampton.com

guitar, lap and pedal steel, mandolin, dobro, banjo, other various oddities and harmony slut

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:20 pm

You're right, they probably will run Rudy. Why throw away 9/11 when Bush is done with it? They can save Jeb for dessert. Rudy is evil and scary -- not sure if he is worse than Mitt, though. At least Rudy is from NYC.

Regardless of what Edwards did on this ticket, he has plenty of charisma and skills (see: Iowa) and thinks on his feet (see: L&O, veep debate). And even though he'd been governor, W was seen as a lightweight in 2000 -- and he's been elected at LEAST once.

OTOH, I'd never heard of Clinton before 92, so maybe some other genial fellow with a chicken recipe will show up in 08.

Must not be Hillary though. She's a female Kerry. No way am I voting for Ahnold either -- and leave the damn Constitution alone, or Blair will run and sell us back to the Queen.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:27 pm

Rudy may play well elsewhere, but he won't win his own state.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:39 pm

wrenhunter wrote:
Must not be Hillary though. She's a female Kerry.
Think about it. Bush gets some Supreme Court nominees. Rowe v. Wade is overturned. Woman wake up and vote overwhelmingly Democratic, buttressed by the fact that they're voting for a woman. We'll have the first woman president, one that will reinstate their rights.

God got Bush the Whitehouse. Wombs will get it back.

(actually, I think all this is moot, but it sounds good)

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:37 am

John Edwards is my senator (for the next month, anyway). Let me tell you, I've never seen a more vacant, vote-pandering windbag in my life. People in North Carolina HATE John Edwards, becaue all he did after being elected was start working on his presidential run. He hasn't done fuck-all for this state. The man is an empty suit, full of trite generalities tweaked for maximum audience appeal. I know some middle-of-the-road Democrats who voted for Bush because they hate Edwards so much, and couldn't bear the thought of him ever becoming president.

Given, the man is an amazing public speaker, but he has absolutely no substance behind any of it.
Steve Albini used to like it

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:51 am

I really want a non religious Democrat to come up and just say, "I am not religious. I am nice guy, and I have morals, but I am not buying the whole jesus thing" I would vote for him in a second. I am sure noone else would though.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:02 am

Rick Hunter wrote:I really want a non religious Democrat to come up and just say, "I am not religious. I am nice guy, and I have morals, but I am not buying the whole jesus thing" I would vote for him in a second. I am sure noone else would though.
The whole Jesus trip isn't about the guy who's been dead for 2000 years.

It's about justifying being an S.O.B.

and not that much different from hardened felons who "find God"

You're making my point though, that part of Bush's appeal is he tries to be what he is, and doesn't go duck hunting when he really doesn't have the inclination to do so. OTOH, I think he really got off on the aircraft carrier stunt.

cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cashed checks » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:07 am

Yup. In 2008 they'll trot out Rudy or John Mccain and coast to an easy victory. the country is sliding in that direction. i don't see a Dem or anyone else taking the presidency or control of congress for yeeeeaars. total bummer.