dead but not forgotten

Re: Edwards in 2008

Post by Rick Hunter » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:26 pm

oh...zing.

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:12 pm

You guys have got to be kidding about Rudy for '08. There is no way in hell he will get through those republican primaries, where the average voter is welll to the right of the party. Rudy is too liberal, scary as that might seem.

I'm hoping they run Bill Frist, the Senate Majority leader, he's popular these days and in with the christian right. Best of all, watching him speak is like looking at a corpse. A tad low on charisma.

Unfortunately they're probably to smart to waste their time on him.
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:17 pm

Man I have to agree with coniferouspine that they are going to have to become a centralist party to win anything. I hate to say it cause I would love for them to do what Rick Hunter said. Get a non-religious candidate for a change etc. But they can't win without at least some percentage of the church vote. The problem is, the Republicans won't let them stay in the center, everytime they do, they say, "You can't be centralist because you believe in gay marriage." It's very sad. I would love to see a candidate win wearing a t-shirt that says, "Liberal, without apology" but it ain't going to happen I am afraid. If they try to be centralist, then they basically don't make a case for human rights, gay rights civil rights, womens rights, anything. If they do make a stand on these issues they are branded liberal.

In the current climate, I can't ever see a socially centralist candidate from the republicans. I thought maybe McCain, but I just can't trust it.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:20 pm

swingdoc wrote:I wonder if any doctor in NC is gonna want to treat her?
Maybe she can sue the cancer out of her body.
Oh, she'll be fine. She's rich, which under the Republican health care plan, qualifies her for the highest standard of care.
Steve Albini used to like it

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:23 pm

eh, mildly funny. but i understand.

I think Jaun Cole got it right in todays post. It's the Bubba factor, and as long as we deal with the Electorial system, it will always be there. If Gephardt had run, I dunno, we might be somewhere. I think the DNC overestimated peoples dissaproval of Bush and thought they could sneak in they're Uber Beltway Liberal. Bad call.
boobs are life's fountain

swingdoc
tinnitus

Post by swingdoc » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:46 pm

lobstman wrote:
swingdoc wrote:I wonder if any doctor in NC is gonna want to treat her?
Maybe she can sue the cancer out of her body.
Oh, she'll be fine. She's rich, which under the Republican health care plan, qualifies her for the highest standard of care.
She may be rich, but they got that way from sueing all the OB docs out of NC.
I can guarantee that if this story is true (the cancer, that is) then all of her records are have already been retained by her husband and her lawyers, and are already being scrutinized to start a case against somebody that has cared for her recently. I guaruntucking-fee.
The docs that will be asked to care for her will have a gun to their heads.
Nobody that takes care of her is gonna be happy that they are involved with her care. Not to say they dont want to help her or hope she gets better, but they will be scared the entire time.
I hate taking care of people who the first thing they say to me..."Hi doctor. I'm switching to you cause I sued ther last doctor I had. I know you'll be better." Like what the hell am I supposed to say...whoopee, welcome, so glad you're here?
A lion trainer that just watched his partner get eaten alive isnt too happy to be the next one to jump into the cage.

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:06 pm

lobstman wrote:John Edwards is my senator (for the next month, anyway). Let me tell you, I've never seen a more vacant, vote-pandering windbag in my life. ... Given, the man is an amazing public speaker, but he has absolutely no substance behind any of it.
Ah, didn't know he was that bad. I was thinking someone like W (telegenic issue puppet), but with more actual human DNA, would be a good choice. Well, I still think so, but maybe John E. isn't it.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:26 pm

sonichue wrote:
wrenhunter wrote:
Must not be Hillary though. She's a female Kerry.
Think about it. Bush gets some Supreme Court nominees. Rowe v. Wade is overturned. Woman wake up and vote overwhelmingly Democratic, buttressed by the fact that they're voting for a woman. We'll have the first woman president, one that will reinstate their rights.

God got Bush the Whitehouse. Wombs will get it back.

(actually, I think all this is moot, but it sounds good)
Good points, but Hillary is still way too liberal to pick up the rest of the people. You'd see way more red than blue with her.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:16 pm

yeah totally. Hillary would bomb in the south. A carpet bagging femaie as president...PSSHHHH.

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:05 am

swingdoc wrote:She may be rich, but they got that way from sueing all the OB docs out of NC.
I know that. I live here.

Your point is well taken (one of the reasons I dislike John Edwards, in fact), but mine still stands. We're one of the wealthiest nations in the world, and the only way to get good health care is to be rich. That's fucked up. I don't see Dubya doing anything about it.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:05 am

OBAMA 08... that be sweet, but it would never happen

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:41 am

jdsowa wrote: I'm hoping that within the next 4 years we can amend the consitution and get a republican nomination for Arnold. I would vote for him. He is extremely popular in California. He can do no wrong, and any bill he endorses gets passed. In addition to his celebrity status, he has a simple style of speaking that would appeal to the retards in this country.
Oh yeah? As much as I acknowledge that Arnold is in some ways socially progressive (I do appreciate that he supported stem cell research here) in other departments he is absolutely impossible. He was asked yesterday if he'd consult with state democrats when putting together next year's budget and he replied something to the effect of "why should I work with losers?" Plus he is pretty much single-handedly responsible for killing reform to our completely draconian three-strikes law.

I'm very open to electing a true moderate from either party but Arnold isn't it, in my opinion.
Last edited by schnozzle on Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:57 am

Arnold is totally not that popular in Ca. As far as I can tell everybody sees him as a puppet for the republicans. The one thing he did that was cool was repeal that "everybody gets a licence" crap. Grey Davis was an unbelievable tool as well.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:06 am

T-rex wrote:Man I have to agree with coniferouspine that they are going to have to become a centralist party to win anything. I hate to say it cause I would love for them to do what Rick Hunter said. Get a non-religious candidate for a change etc. But they can't win without at least some percentage of the church vote. The problem is, the Republicans won't let them stay in the center, everytime they do, they say, "You can't be centralist because you believe in gay marriage." It's very sad. I would love to see a candidate win wearing a t-shirt that says, "Liberal, without apology" but it ain't going to happen I am afraid. If they try to be centralist, then they basically don't make a case for human rights, gay rights civil rights, womens rights, anything. If they do make a stand on these issues they are branded liberal...

What they should get used to doing, instead of cowering at being called a 'liberal', is instead, start calling anyone who doesn't see these issues as basic rights that ARE centrist, theologically crippled, or fucking insane. And have the fucking moxie to make the case.
beware bee wear

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:39 am

joeysimms wrote:What they should get used to doing, instead of cowering at being called a 'liberal', is instead, start calling anyone who doesn't see these issues as basic rights that ARE centrist, theologically crippled, or fucking insane. And have the fucking moxie to make the case.
The correct term for what the Republicans have become is "fascist". However, most americans equate that word with "Nazi", which although false, is a common misaprehention. Thus, we need a new term for socially regressive, imperialistic, self-serving, authoritarian religious hypocrites. I suggest the term "corporatist".

"The corporatist Republicans in the White House would have you believe that the Iraq war was was about 9/11, but the facts prove otherwise- they want to send your sons and brothers to die in a war for their own greed and personal gain. Don't let the corporatist agenda shred the Constitution and the Bill Of Rights that our forefathers fought so hard to preserve."