Lomo Valve Mic

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jkoelle
audio school

Lomo Valve Mic

Post by jkoelle » Sat May 10, 2003 8:46 pm

I am considering purchasing a lomo 19a19, though I am concerned about reliable sources for these units. Are there any recommendations that anyone could offer for purchasing a vintage unit like this? I found a 19a19 mic/psu within a division of Lomo called Kinap (according to the guy who is corresponding with me). Does anyone know about the reliability of going what appears to be direct from Kinap/Lomo? Are there any good sources (besides the Sound Room) anyone can reccomend?

vs1680
audio school

Re: Lomo Valve Mic

Post by vs1680 » Sun May 11, 2003 5:01 pm

Hi:I don't know if this is of any interest to you,but I thought I would tell you about anyway.This company is supposed to sell kits that make a high end valve mic out of a cheap large diaphram condenser mic. www.mojaveaudio.com I suppose to sound like a cross between a Neumann U67 and a M49. The kits cost $299 if you have a Marshakk MXK2001 or ADK A51 or $499 if you don't have these mics - they will supply a mic with the kit. These kits make a valve mike. I hope this helps, Bruce :D

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Sun May 11, 2003 7:27 pm

[]
Last edited by aurelialuz on Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

jkoelle
audio school

Post by jkoelle » Sun May 11, 2003 7:47 pm

Bruce, or whoever might be informed

Whats your experience with the quality of the Mojave kit? I havent used any of the ADK or Marshall mikes. Does anyone have in experience with the Mojave mic itself and is the capsule any different than the ADK and Marshall capsules?

John

goldenarmes
ass engineer

Post by goldenarmes » Sun May 11, 2003 8:33 pm

same capsule...the kit is a tube mod.
peace

j

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Mon May 12, 2003 3:16 am

While I have never used any mics, or heard of any comments on mics, with the Mojave Audio kits, while they're probably a cool thing, comparing them to the U67 or M49 is absurd!

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Mon May 12, 2003 9:26 am

Recording Engineer wrote:While I have never used any mics, or heard of any comments on mics, with the Mojave Audio kits, while they're probably a cool thing, comparing them to the U67 or M49 is absurd!
These mics are made with high quality parts and designed by Dave Royer. The capsule is a very close match to the U67, according to my conversation with Dave. This isn't a mic mod. This is a complete redesign. They sound amazing, buy two!
Kyle

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:39 pm

Has anybody built the Mojave mic kit? Comments?
Mark

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:42 pm

i have built the large diapragm kit - and it's quite nice. however, i'm not sure we're comparing apples to apples here - or maybe someone should clarify the discussion. the implied conversation that i'm getting is - "is royers' SDC kit comparable to the lomo 19a19?" i don;t think i'm qualified personaly to make a definitive judgement on that, since i havent heard the 2 side by side - but what royer is doing is gutting the electronics of the cheap mics and replacing them with better components _within a given pricepoint_ - now, i think his kits sound fucking great - or i should say, mine sounds fucking great - but, when comparing to the lomo - the unequalled part is the diapragm that lomo used vs. a 79$ chinese mic's diapragm. from simple math - in your head you can guess that if you're buying the whole damn thing for 79$ - the mfg cost is what? maybe 25$, then subtract the transformer, metal, all other circuitry - and we're talking what - a 5$ diapragm or something? with what quality control? even with the best of the best - swapping electronics, creating a shorter and cleaner path, using a super high quality jensen transformer (and all the other stuff dave's kit does) - at the basis, you're limiting factor is your diapragm in this scenario.

i talked to dave a while at the TO conference, and he's super nice and cool and totally smart beyond belief - but the goal of the mojave kits (as i understood our conversation) isn't to be a replacement for the super high eschelon of mics - but more to be, what can we do the best with a limited budget and resources - and how can we make much higher quality mics available to the home recording enthusuast communities that can compete with the big boys. his royer labs mics are to be with the big boys, the mojave are not.

so - that said - i'm sure the mojave SDC mod is worth every penny - but i also think it's a mistake to think of it as something other than what it is. for more info on the lomo 19a19 you can ask the folks at electrical audio www.electrical.com - they have many over there. as to the sound - greg over there has told me it's one of his favorite mics. i've heard nothing but good things about them, but haven't used them myself.

but, do i think everyone here should make the mojave kit? yes i do. i think they;re a great value and you'll learn tons from it.

nick