Beautiful Dreamer

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Beautiful Dreamer

Post by sonikbliss » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:41 am

Anybody seen this documentary on Brian Wilson's "Smile"? I saw it last night on showtime (i think?) and it was really good. The whole thing is really quite amazing. I'm not afraid to say I shed a tear or two at the end when Brian finally performed Smile live for the first time. It was really quite a touching performance especially when you see Brian before the show and he's so scared and nervous he doesn't think he can even do it. If you haven't seen it, i would highly recomend it. :D

Wonderland
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Beautiful Dreamer

Post by Wonderland » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:48 pm

This was a very cool little doc. 8)
I liked it, too.

I was extremely impressed by his musicians, during the vocal rehearsals.
Pretty amazing harmony singing. :shock:

All that ooooo-oooooo aaaaahhhh-aaaaaaah stuff...

So freakin' tight!

I do miss the Boys vocal blend on that stuff, though.

aishabag23
gettin' sounds

Post by aishabag23 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:51 pm

that was great!

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:19 am

What really bugs me about the new Smile is it doesn't seem to have been released on vinyl at this point. Such an important release usually sees a pretty nice vinyl release, and I remain confident that some one will eventually release it. BUT, I dunno.

How was it recorded, btw?

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:26 am

Once the tour was over, Brian and the band headed for the studio to record Smile. As engineer Mark Linett explains, "For this album, Brian went back to his original modular approach, recording most of the pieces separately so that each section of a song would have its own unique sound and texture. Just as he did in '66-67, the master tracks were recorded with everyone, including the strings and horns, playing live, in a relatively small studio-in this case, Studio One at Sunset Sound in Hollywood." (Historical note: Studio One, with its original echo chamber intact, was one of the studios Brian used for a number of the original "Good Vibrations" and "Heroes and Villains" sessions).
"Because of the demands of the live shows, there were certain things that just couldn't be played or sung onstage quite the way Brian had originally envisioned them. For the studio version of Smile, Brian and the band eliminated some of the flourishes that were designed just for live performance and substantially re-worked the instrumental arrangements." (Production note: For the vocals, Brian and the band recorded their harmonies using an original 'tube' console identical to the one Brian and the Beach Boys had used at Western Studio 3 throughout the 1960s).
http://www.smilethealbum.com/index.php

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:34 am

Lance Roma?ce wrote:How was it recorded, btw?
there's an article in cough, cough, EQ, cough, about it. i'm pretty sure it was all -- ahem -- protools.

brian did say in the interview for EQ that an all-tube console was used for tracking all the vocals...
that devil bastard protools

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:35 am

But was it taped or was it done digitally?

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:43 am

damn pro-tools.

spectralgrey
gettin' sounds

Post by spectralgrey » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:25 pm

It was recorded into Pro Tools, which makes perfect sense for SMiLE. with Brian Wilson's modular style, it is certainly much easier to cut and paste an album together on a computer screen than on a splicing block.

there's also a good article in Sound on Sound. I'm not sure if it's the most recent issue anymore...it's the one with the mackie onyx on the cover.

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:08 am

Lance Roma?ce wrote:What really bugs me about the new Smile is it doesn't seem to have been released on vinyl at this point. Such an important release usually sees a pretty nice vinyl release, and I remain confident that some one will eventually release it. BUT, I dunno.

How was it recorded, btw?
It's either out now on vinyl or it's about to be released, that I do know. Two records and side four contains instrument only versions of some of the songs.
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:28 am

It's either out now on vinyl or it's about to be released, that I do know. Two records and side four contains instrument only versions of some of the songs.
Oh that's great information.

Just curious, where did you hear about it?

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:27 am

Lance Roma?ce wrote:
Oh that's great information.

Just curious, where did you hear about it?
I've been Smile um......... obsessed, for want of a better word for year and am a huge Beach Boys fan. There's a website called The Smile Shop that has a lot of cool info and the message board on it is particularly good for Smile related information.
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:20 am

This is an awesome thread. I picked up that um..EQ mag... Just because it has Wilson on it. The article is pretty good. It even mentioned his mental problems. I can't wait to hear Smile. Even though it was Pro tools..

Mike

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:28 am

FoamyCloset wrote:This is an awesome thread. I picked up that um..EQ mag... Just because it has Wilson on it. The article is pretty good. It even mentioned his mental problems. I can't wait to hear Smile. Even though it was Pro tools..

Mike
you can listen to all the tracks on this website, you just need to register. http://www.smilethealbum.com/index.php

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:02 pm

It is out on vinyl now, btw.

Its totally weird to hear those songs with out Mike Love.