Johnny Cash American recording acoustic gtrs

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
seriousbusinessmusic
pluggin' in mics

Johnny Cash American recording acoustic gtrs

Post by seriousbusinessmusic » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:31 pm

How delicious is the acoustic gtr sound on those Cash American recordings? Does anyone know how they accomplished that on the first record especially? I'm sure its just a super simple set up with great great gear. Does any one have any suggestions for recording naked acoustic gtrs and making em sound naked, vibrant and completely NATURAL?!

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Re: Johnny Cash American recording acoustic gtrs

Post by nacho459 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:35 pm

Get Rick Rubin to record it

seriousbusinessmusic
pluggin' in mics

Post by seriousbusinessmusic » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:10 pm

you think rubin brushes that big nappy beard thing? you think he runs a comb through it once in a while? you think he shampoos it?

object88
takin' a dinner break

Post by object88 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:19 pm

seriousbusinessmusic wrote:you think rubin brushes that big nappy beard thing? ... you think he shampoos it?
When I had one, I used to shampoo and even trim my beard, but then, my beard wasn't big enough to work with Johnny Cash, Public Enemy, and Slayer.
Last edited by object88 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peterr
alignin' 24-trk

Post by peterr » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:23 pm

The sound on those Cash American I-IV is my white whale... someone throw me a harpoon.. and don't tell me I need a bigger ship.

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:27 pm

i know that on the first record. as well as the last one, rick rocked to adats. on the first one, it was in his living room, the last one was at cash's home. there was a cool link to an interview awhile back.

frank

62junior
gettin' sounds

Post by 62junior » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:10 pm

Don't know but I'm sure it starts with a great sounding guitar. I've seen Rick Rubin's studio (in his house) very briefly, oodles of cool vintage gear, amps, etc.

K.S.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:27 pm

nacho459 wrote:Get Rick Rubin to record it
...uh, you mean get Jim Scott to record it...if it's Jim who engineered that, it's probably a Neumann KM84 through a 1073...

colinandrew12
gettin' sounds

Post by colinandrew12 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:34 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:
nacho459 wrote:Get Rick Rubin to record it
...uh, you mean get Jim Scott to record it...if it's Jim who engineered that, it's probably a Neumann KM84 through a 1073...
yeah, i was always unsure of that...i can't ever find a totally definitive answer but does rick rubin actually engineer his productions.....i always sort of understood that he basically just had someone sitting there pushing the buttons when he said so, and that sometimes, on something very small like overdubs or whatever he would drive but never actually mixed or did the "engineer intensive" recording.....like, basically he has enough of an understanding to do a little bit and move faders around a bit, but is more of a producer and less of an actual engineer......anyone know anything??? jeff?
...just remember, when doing live sound: you can't polish a turd....

wallace
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by wallace » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:21 am

Doesn't Rick Rubin lye on the ground when he produces? I read an interview with him and it sounds like he donesn't do much of the engineering himself, at least he thinks there's "no way an engineer could produce"...

"I know a lot of producers were engineers who graduated to being producers, but I can't imagine what qualifications an engineer would have to be a producer. To me, it's just a different job, but there are some great engineers who become great producers. Again, I don't know what they do. I only kind of know what I do, and I'm not too sure of that. "

I think he sends the albums out to 10 different mastering houses and chooses the best one.

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_rick_rubin/index.html

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:58 pm

i believe sylvia massey recorded the first one- i generally read that it was done in rubin's home with just 2 mics, live...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:11 pm

Well, if Syliva did it, there were racks and racks of gear around all powered up and none of it being used! She brought in 6 road cases of equipment when we were working on the Econoline Crush disc doing some guitar and vocal overdubs. She didn't use a single piece of gear in the racks and many of the pieces weren't functioning anyway. Basically, just a bunch of stuff she had acquired. She blatantly said she had this stuff, "because I want to be just like Jack Joseph Puig!" No shit. The racks were lined up behind her at the console completely restricting any kind of imaging or bottom end. From a critical listening standpoint, there was very little of that going on. Weird. She takes this shit with her everywhere too- at least she did at that time.

As for Jim and Rick, I've spoken to Jim on several occasions about this. Private conversational details aside, Jim does the lion share of the work. Rick is exceptionally hands-off. I have also been around Ricks partner, George Drakoulias as well as he's been on sessions I've worked- George is essentially good for the occasional obscenity shouted from the couch every now and then. George does play some mean percussion though. Great feel. A particular sarcasm behind the mic too! Lol.

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:05 am

Hmm, I knew Rick was more of a producer, but his records always sound awesome! I figure there must be something engineering-wise he brings to the table. There must be some reason he makes tons of money to sit in on recording sessions.

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:30 am

no one thinks those albums are far too compressed and high-end hyped? i sorta wondered if that sound was a way of dealing with what must've been a weakened voice.

don't get me wrong, the music is great.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:57 am

Anybody know what guitars he played in some of those sessions?