brian wilson's smile on vinyl!

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

brian wilson's smile on vinyl!

Post by Roman Sokal » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:20 pm

i very recently read somewhere on this board about someone inquiring whether this great album would see the light of day on vinyl, which is the best format something like this (and all rtecords for that matter!) should be released and heard on!
well i just read this- looks like we'll be graced with a vinyl release!
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-1 ... tml#story2

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: brian wilson's smile on vinyl!

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:28 pm

thats just plain awesome..

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:28 pm

Yeah i saw it today. Thanx

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:50 pm

It's still a pro-tools recording being pressed onto vinyl. it's not like the real thing. I know, I know, cockblock. sorry.
beware bee wear

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:55 am

the bassist in my sister's old band was telling me about "Smile" last nite. i think i'm going to give it a listen. on vinyl would be even better! are you sure it was recorded on pro-tools? no chance it was done on 2-inch just like the old days?

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:13 am

andyg666 wrote:the bassist in my sister's old band was telling me about "Smile" last nite. i think i'm going to give it a listen. on vinyl would be even better! are you sure it was recorded on pro-tools? no chance it was done on 2-inch just like the old days?
No chance whatsoever. And if that disappoints you, I'd suggest you don't ask about autotuners.
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:36 am

in the same conversation about smile, another of my sister's old friends said that she saw brian wilson live fairly recently and he sounded completely horrible. so i guess pro-tools and autotune are his "good vibrations"

i wonder if sunkist will make a comeback??

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:13 am

andyg666 wrote:in the same conversation about smile, another of my sister's old friends said that she saw brian wilson live fairly recently and he sounded completely horrible. so i guess pro-tools and autotune are his "good vibrations"

i wonder if sunkist will make a comeback??
Well, I wasn't at the same performance as your sister's friend, I'm guessing, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he sounds horrible. But yeah, apart from the fact his voice sounds pretty different tonally, his pitch ain't that good anymore. I don't see how he could do an album without autotune and in fact he sang it's praises in a recent interview.

To us, that's something you wouldn't admit in print if you'd done it, but Brian's a fairly naive guy it seems and it's not like he has any idea that autotune isn't considered cool in certain circles.

Plus, as I said before in a related topic, he's not an analogue freak like some of us and if an autotune had been invented when he was in his heyday, you can be damn sure he would have used it. Ditto with Pro Tools.

Imagine Pet Sound had been recorded on Pro Tools. Using autotune. Shudder.
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:52 am

Greenlander wrote: Imagine Pet Sound had been recorded on Pro Tools. Using autotune. Shudder.
Yeah, but.. it wasn't. :lol:
beware bee wear

mcfl0nuz
gettin' sounds

Post by mcfl0nuz » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:37 am

brian is just crazy...it comes with being a genius.

i recommend you listen to the old bootleg tapes from the 60's...blows the new recording out of the water...

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:21 pm

i thought it was just edited in pro-tools. i know for a fact they did use the same kind of console that was used for the original recordings, at least for all of the vocal tracks.

the album certainly doesn't *sound* like pro-tools. some of it sounds like they took original recordings and digitally remastered them, so it's kind of surprising to know that they re-played and re-recorded *everything*.

for the record, i don't think brian sounds horrible at all, at least not on the new smile. he's just different, takes some getting used to, and like someone said up above, his pitch isn't perfect anymore. but there's an old, weathered vibe to his voice that actually works, surprisingly.

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:24 pm

mcfl0nuz wrote:brian is just crazy...it comes with being a genius.

i recommend you listen to the old bootleg tapes from the 60's...blows the new recording out of the water...
i've loved the original recordings for years, but to say they blow the new recordings out of the water is total hyperbole. i mean, i respect differing views on this and all, but i think they (quite shockingly) did an amazing job of reproducing the sounds and the vibe of the originals. plus, with the new recordings you actually get the finished songs, with lead vocal tracks and all, something several songs on all smile bootlegs lack.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:17 pm

Oh, hell, I can't stomach Smile backlash. The record is awesome. I don't care if the entire thing was cobbled together out of samples recorded on a Casio SK-1 and tracked through Behringer pres onto ADATs, I will not relinquish my absolute delight at its existence. Brian is a hero, people, and long may he autotune.

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:26 pm

inverseroom wrote:Oh, hell, I can't stomach Smile backlash. The record is awesome. I don't care if the entire thing was cobbled together out of samples recorded on a Casio SK-1 and tracked through Behringer pres onto ADATs, I will not relinquish my absolute delight at its existence. Brian is a hero, people, and long may he autotune.
:lol:
beware bee wear

spectralgrey
gettin' sounds

Post by spectralgrey » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:45 am

Brian's performance in Madison was great last October. I think he must have had a lot of on and off days over the course of the tour. I'm lucky I caught him on a good night. He actually sounded better live than he did on the record or on any of the recent tv appearances. I was pleasantly surprised.