whoa, i'm in ohio.

concubine
re-cappin' neve

whoa, i'm in ohio.

Post by concubine » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:11 am

i'm in columbus ohio, of all places, for the next few days. are there any good record stores out here? as in, places that sell vinyl?

if not, maybe i should go do some vote-counting.

dolphin quest
audio school

Re: whoa, i'm in ohio.

Post by dolphin quest » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:35 am

Magnolia Thunderpussy (High Street close to 5th - right next to Skully's music diner) and Used Kids (High Street on campus). Mag's is mainly new vinyl though. Used Kids has a alot of used vinyl.

Sour Records is also good but that is technically in Westerville.

Speaking of Skully's there is a great show there tonight.
The Tough and Lovely http://www.toughandlovely.com/
The Cyril Lords http://www.metrotimes.com/guide/musicia ... sp?id=9513

If you got nothing to do.

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:49 am

dolphin quest wrote:Magnolia Thunderpussy (High Street close to 5th - right next to Skully's music diner) and Used Kids (High Street on campus). Mag's is mainly new vinyl though. Used Kids has a alot of used vinyl.

Sour Records is also good but that is technically in Westerville.

Speaking of Skully's there is a great show there tonight.
The Tough and Lovely http://www.toughandlovely.com/
The Cyril Lords http://www.metrotimes.com/guide/musicia ... sp?id=9513

If you got nothing to do.
hey, thanks of the tips! i think i will check these out!

jeff

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:54 am

welcome to the town of columbus and columbus. I live here, it is a nice place.

There's a record store called Lost Weekend that's at 2960 N. High St, probably 3-4 miles north of campus, it's a tiny tiny store like 8 feet wide, but I hear they have an interesting selection. Never been (don't vinyl, sorry.)

For books I would recommend you go to the book loft in German Village, it's an eclectic book store built into what I think is two and a half old houses, with four floors and about fifty rooms crammed full of all kinds of weird books. (361 Third St., it's in German Village which is just south of Downtown.)

And if you want to go shopping today, well, good luck, I hear the soccer moms out there will rip your head off if you get in their way :)

drew
www.toothpastefordinner.com

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:32 am

concubine wrote:i'm in columbus ohio, of all places, for the next few days. are there any good record stores out here? as in, places that sell vinyl?

Try the dumpsters behind the State Republican Party headquarters. You should find some ballots from predominantly black districts in there.
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:35 pm

toothpastefordinner wrote:welcome to the town of columbus and columbus. I live here, it is a nice place.

There's a record store called Lost Weekend that's at 2960 N. High St, probably 3-4 miles north of campus, it's a tiny tiny store like 8 feet wide, but I hear they have an interesting selection. Never been (don't vinyl, sorry.)

For books I would recommend you go to the book loft in German Village, it's an eclectic book store built into what I think is two and a half old houses, with four floors and about fifty rooms crammed full of all kinds of weird books. (361 Third St., it's in German Village which is just south of Downtown.)

And if you want to go shopping today, well, good luck, I hear the soccer moms out there will rip your head off if you get in their way :)

drew
www.toothpastefordinner.com
yeah that book store you mentioned, in the german village, is awesome. the place is massive and labrynthine, like walking around the winchester mystery house or something. we spent a lot of time there.

are there any 2nd hand bookshops?

the german village is really nice. very quaint with brick roads and old, beautiful brick houses everywhere.

i also checked out lost kids records, which is nice. lot's of vinyl, and it's pretty cheap. i'll have to check out lost weekend tomorrow.

columbus is a pretty nice, laid back place. it's cool seeing so many things made of brick everywhere.

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:36 pm

Greenlander wrote:
concubine wrote:i'm in columbus ohio, of all places, for the next few days. are there any good record stores out here? as in, places that sell vinyl?

Try the dumpsters behind the State Republican Party headquarters. You should find some ballots from predominantly black districts in there.
i know...

at least i can say i'm seeing an awful lot of kerry/edwards bumper stickers and signs out here. it's reassuring.