How many crappy albums have you bought?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.

Ever purchased an album (on whatever format) and got it home to find upon listening that boy this album sucks? How many times has this happened to you in the last ten years?

1-10
32%
11-20
19%
21-30
9%
31-40
11%
41-50
30%

Total votes: 47

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

How many crappy albums have you bought?

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:51 am

...And how much would you estimate you've spent on these purchases when totalled?

drmorbius
gettin' sounds

Re: How many crappy albums have you bought?

Post by drmorbius » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:15 am

1-10 not including Radiohead s**t, which at times makes you so disappointed and angry you repress the memory (like an 'amnesiac' wink wink).

I've bought a lot of crap They Might Be Giants junk, too, just to support the cause. Usually I knew it was going suck but I bought it anyway cause those guys work hard and their early albums are great.

Most embarrasing was when I bought one of those new Allman Bros. Live CDs. What was I thinking? Total garbage. But I was young and naive . . .

But then there's stuff I've bought on a whim that I wound up loving. You gotta take your shot. I'm not gonna spend a day on the Internet previewing records before I buy them. That's not rock n' roll. Additionally, I hated some records on the first listen that I now love. It's a gamble.

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:20 am

Yo, RTP represent!

1. Less, now that I can preview stuff online (saved myself from buying some real crap that way).

2. Way more than I care to admit, on albums I don't care to admit buying.
Steve Albini used to like it

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:37 am

lobstman wrote:Yo, RTP represent!
Not ten, not twenty, not thiry, not forty, but fifty pounds of puddin'!
Awwwwwwwyeah.

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:55 am

First I cook, then I chillllll....
Steve Albini used to like it

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:16 am

My most recent, that I can recall, was The Stooges first album. I bought it used and hadn't heard a lick of it other than Wanna Be Your Dog and man what a galloping turd of a record this is. Shove all that "cultural, musical importance" this album is awful. I have Funhouse on vinyl and love it so I thought this would be good but it's a steaming pile. I agree with the hate it then love it theory, some of my favourite albums/ bands are slow burners. However there isn't much to uncover with the Stooges beyond the initial listen, what you hear is what you get and I was really disappointed. It WAS used tough so it only set me back $7.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

phait
takin' a dinner break

Post by phait » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:04 am

Just a few. Mostly, I liked them initially but then lost interest severely. These albums would be Taproot's "Welcome", Incubus' album with "Pardon Me", Boiler Room's "Can't Breathe", Korn's "Life Is Peachy", Deftones album with "My Summer".... so mostly throwaway rock. Some of the band's music I do like, Korn and Deftones, but not these albums, save maybe for just a couple songs.

One of the great things for people with internet access is that there are places like www.fye.com and www.amazon.com to listen to clips, except they're not usually Mac-friendly unless they have Windows Media Player for Mac installed...

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:07 am

When I was youger and foolish, I liked punk rock (or rather the idea of punk rock), but knew no good bands. I ended up with a whole lot of Fat/Epitaph stuff, which was the most accessible to a kid from the suburbs, and which is largely unlistenable to me now.

Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

Post by Dr. Sausage » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:54 am

I don't have many bad albums, but the one that stick out in my head, that I never listen to

Jimi Hendrix : Live at Woodstock
Pink Floyd : Final Cut
Roger Waters : Amused to Death

Most of my albums I enjoy listening to. I usually make sure i'll like it before I buy.

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:57 am

The funny thing about Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock is that during the Star Spangled Banner you can hear when the acid kicks into his system cos all of a sudden his guitar playing gets totally freaked out.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:02 pm

I'm in the 11-20 range, mostly before the internets. between mp3 files, net-radio streams, and Aquarius Records preview files, my hit/miss ratio is at a much more acceptable level.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:06 pm

Abot 10 or so. I usually listen to it at the music shop just to save myself from beating my head against the wall for buying yet another piece of shit cd. Remember Bob Moulds pst Husker Du travesty Sugar? I rest my case. I pulled them out a while back after not hearing them for about 6 years or so. I was embarrased I even bought them. Off to the used cd shop! I think I traded them for some Roxy Music.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

object88
takin' a dinner break

Post by object88 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:30 pm

In the last 10 years? Tons. Ten years ago there weren't any fancy-shmancy mp3 previews, so I trusted waaaaay too many magazine and rec.music.industrial reviews. Ugh.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:30 pm

I've got quite a few records, maybe 1200 or something, LPs and singles (i have a few 78s too in pretty good nick, some nice old dancehall stuff). I've gone through stages where i've bought things because i liked the covers (cheap second hand stores and a variety of places on my student loan) or had a good feeling about the record and got some rubbish stuff because of that (and some great things obviously). Wouldn't say i've spent a fortune on doing it though, big spends have always gone on things i've really known i've wanted. My friend Tom and I bought three bin-liners of second hand records that this shop couldn't sell for a two pounds, some really terrible stuff in there. He got 19 copies of 'Don't Cry for Me Argentina' which amused him greatly. We had such fan sifting through it all, awesome weekend. I put between a third and half of my records in storage to make some space for other things in our flat a few moths ago and not missed those too much. After thinking about all of this, probably ten percent of my records are shit. I'm okay with that.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Spiderhead69
steve albini likes it
Location: The Ice cream truck in my neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter

Post by Spiderhead69 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:45 pm

Rigsby sounds like me.. so I'll cut and paste his response and add my own info...

I've got quite a few records 1087 titles, (1223 actual records due to double and triple sets)
I've got the names artist and titles cataloged in an excel spreadsheet for easy reference.
I've gone through stages where i've bought things because i liked the covers (cheap second hand stores, Goodwills, Salvation Army etc...)..

Wouldn't say i've spent a fortune on doing it though...

Most of my records I find some amusing quality about, but others might find it shit or questionable..

And then there are the records that my wife wanted to buy..Believe me, I would not want to own a Brian Adams record, but it's in my gathering.