Your disc reviewed online

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Your disc reviewed online

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:53 pm

Hey guys,

If you've got full-length product, professionally packaged with a UPC code, you can now get a guaranteed review permanently posted for product online at:

http://suzydoll.000k2.com/em/

Send presskit, a check for $40 (made out to Third Monk Records) and a specification as to who you'd like to review the disc to:

The Epicurean Monk
P.O. Box 5579
Plymouth MI 48170

octobre
audio school graduate

Re: Your disc reviewed online

Post by octobre » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:52 pm

wow.

drmorbius
gettin' sounds

Post by drmorbius » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:23 am

Hey, octobre, I noticed you're affiliated with Buhanan Records. You might know me . . . I'm the keytar playing wise-ass from Eyes to Space. I recognized the avatar from the Prayers and Tears album art.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:39 am

Jeff Robinson wrote:Hey guys,

If you've got full-length product, professionally packaged with a UPC code, you can now get a guaranteed review permanently posted for product online at:

Send presskit, a check for $40 (made out to Third Monk Records) and a specification as to who you'd like to review the disc to:

The Epicurean Monk
P.O. Box 5579
Plymouth MI 48170
Do I get a fucking reach around with that?

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Post by greenmeansjoe » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:45 am

Jeff Robinson wrote:Hey guys,

The Epicurean Monk
P.O. Box 5579
Plymouth MI 48170
This is fucking retarded.

Now, you owe me $40 for telling you that.

Joe

SpockPicasso
gettin' sounds

Post by SpockPicasso » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:58 am

I thought this forum was for posting music and mp3s.

Shouldn't this post, since it offers a service for sale, be in the "Buy/Sell" forum?

-sp
Down in the basement we hear the sound of machines...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:11 am

that'd be "service" in the same sense as a bull servicing a cow.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:48 am

I don't know what others might think, there may be lots of jokes cracked on this thread, but speaking as a person with actual music journalism experience, I find this "review for $40" thing of Jeff's to be a really really revolting practice. I would certainly hope that anyone new to this forum who sees this thread and contemplates utilizing Third Monk's "service" would have the intelligence and sense to realize that there is a reason behind people's kidding, and that reason is because this is a really despicable and sleazy thing that Jeff is doing, and his site is useless from the point of view of either art or commerce in the music industry. It lacks integrity and it shows us the music business at its worst, populated by untalented hustlers and shysters looking to rip off young kids and naive newbies. If you're reading this thread and contemplating using this "service," I think it's safe to say that paying $40 for a review on that site certainly wouldn't do any good for the person who paid for it. You'd be better off spending $40 to buy a table dance in a strip club for the homeless guy on the corner. So just think about that if you're new or lurking and reading this thread.
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:59 am

well spoken.

i think at times jeff sets himself up on the dunking machine on purpose and clowns "resident a-hole".

because of that we can lose sight of just how bad this $35/$40 dollar thing is.

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Post by greenmeansjoe » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:00 pm

coniferouspine wrote:I don't know what others might think, there may be lots of jokes cracked on this thread, but speaking as a person with actual music journalism experience, I find this "review for $40" thing of Jeff's to be a really really revolting practice. I would certainly hope that anyone new to this forum who sees this thread and contemplates utilizing Third Monk's "service" would have the intelligence and sense to realize that there is a reason behind people's kidding, and that reason is because this is a really despicable and sleazy thing that Jeff is doing, and his site is useless from the point of view of either art or commerce in the music industry. It lacks integrity and it shows us the music business at its worst, populated by untalented hustlers and shysters looking to rip off young kids and naive newbies. If you're reading this thread and contemplating using this "service," I think it's safe to say that paying $40 for a review on that site certainly wouldn't do any good for the person who paid for it. You'd be better off spending $40 to buy a table dance in a strip club for the homeless guy on the corner. So just think about that if you're new or lurking and reading this thread.
A+

If you're paying to get your music reviewed, you're being scammed. Don't do it.

It's that simple.

Joe

glagola1
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by glagola1 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:46 pm

Some bands suck and they will jump at any chance to get press. This is for them. I think it's kind of funny myself. Maybe when my penis enlargement pills don't work I'll send these guys a disc to review to make me feel better.

It's really just something for bands to put a link to on their site and to fluff up their press kit. What is interesting is that they seem to give real reviews and they don't sugar coat anything. I like that.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:12 pm

I wouldn't pay more than $0.11 for this service.

SMH
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:18 pm

coniferouspine wrote:I don't know what others might think, there may be lots of jokes cracked on this thread, but speaking as a person with actual music journalism experience, I find this "review for $40" thing of Jeff's to be a really really revolting practice. I would certainly hope that anyone new to this forum who sees this thread and contemplates utilizing Third Monk's "service" would have the intelligence and sense to realize that there is a reason behind people's kidding, and that reason is because this is a really despicable and sleazy thing that Jeff is doing, and his site is useless from the point of view of either art or commerce in the music industry. It lacks integrity and it shows us the music business at its worst, populated by untalented hustlers and shysters looking to rip off young kids and naive newbies. If you're reading this thread and contemplating using this "service," I think it's safe to say that paying $40 for a review on that site certainly wouldn't do any good for the person who paid for it. You'd be better off spending $40 to buy a table dance in a strip club for the homeless guy on the corner. So just think about that if you're new or lurking and reading this thread.
Quite possibly the best post ever on TapeOp. I mean it. Well, maybe the second best, next to Stabby's rectal prolapse pic.

SMH
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:17 pm

coniferouspine wrote:it shows us the music business at its worst
and that's not worth something?

jeff why did you raise your rates? did coke prices go up in your town?

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:29 pm

Guys shut up, this is a totally useful service and you should not waste the opportunity to send him your album. It's rare for someone with Jeff's level of experience to reach out to the unsigned & under the radar like he has.