The meaning behind your band/name

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
phait
takin' a dinner break

The meaning behind your band/name

Post by phait » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:01 pm

Sorry if this has been posted before, but the search function is seriously missing a "search topic titles only" option...

Anyway, whats the meaning behind your band or project name?

I'm trying to come up with something for a secondary project I have in mind to work on that is different from The Carbon Flaw... it'll be more rhythmic, upbeat and borrow from various ethnic music, maybe with a little electronic thrown in (or more)... but what I hope to avoid is a stupid poppy/dance/techno project.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Re: The meaning behind your band/name

Post by trashy » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:39 pm

As a musician, I'm Shabby Car. I made it up when I was 12. I'm still not sure what the deal was, but I really liked it, and I still do. I had really good ideas back then. I was much shorter, though.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:46 pm

My side project is called Fake British Accent ( self explanitory, kind of takes a shot at all those haircut bands singing like Robert Smith).
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

corinpills
ass engineer

Post by corinpills » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:58 pm

My last band was the Pills and we were named by Ric Menck of Velvet Crush.

www.pillsrock.com

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:02 pm

My last band was called Bakshish, which basically means, "Give me money".

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:08 pm

Wormwood.

First taken from the C.S. Lewis book, The Screwtape Letters. We also have a song called screwtape.

We also knew that in the Book of Revelations, Wormwood is the name of the comet/star/meteor that falls to earth and makes all the water undrinkable. I should know the the passage by now but can't remember what chapter and verse.

Then shortly after, we found out about Absinthe. Wormwood being a key ingredient to the drink. Our first seven inch we put 100 of the 500 on "absinthe green" vinyl.

Those first three discoveries happened real close together.. with the second two, we knew for sure we wanted to call the band Wormwood, we were also thinking about Screwtape.

Then about a year later, found out that Tchernobyl translation is wormwood.

We play heavy heavy music, think Neurosis ala enemy of the sun/through silver and blood. 2 bass players. keyboardist on piano/organ/string sounds, drummer, and I do samplers, synths, and tribal percussions. all five of us sing, 4 screamers and one singer, lara the keyboardist.

we are not a christian band.

THere are a few other Wormwoods out there, one being a hippy jam band and the other being a christian rock outfit. Metalheads get wierded out when they show up to see us and get one of the other two. I think its great!.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:12 pm

Corinpills, didn't Ric Menck also play with Matthew Sweet and Shoes? good drummer iirc.

My band names:

Donny Who Loved Bowling is Steve Buscemi's character from "The Big Lebowski" and he is referred to thusly when Walter (John Goodman) eulogizes him. I don't know why we mis-spelt his name (it's "Donnie" in the film).

I also play in a band called Braintree, named after a street in the lead singer's hometown that he thought was cool. I know that it ain't the best name in the world, and there are other bands with that name, but it ain't my band.

My brothers and I play as The Daves, because none of us are named Dave. And yeah, there are other bands called The Daves out there as well. We want to put out records called things like "Bang the Dave Slowly" and "Eight Daves a Week."

From high school through college I was in a band called The Others, inspired by the Stewart Copeland line "the other ones are complete bullshit" from the Police tune "On Any Other Day." Of course, there are plenty of bands with that name, and the surviving members of the Dead toured as the Other Ones for awhile (or was it the surviving members of Erasure? I can never tell).

I briefly toyed with the idea of playing off the "Trash Can Sinatras/Ash Can Van Gogh" idea and calling a band Kierkegaard Toaster Oven, but thought better of it. It would take too much explaining and no one would remember it or spell it right in reviews.

I started a band called Evil Genius 'cause I liked the name, but the band sucked and broke up. In retrospect it's the kind of name that screams "local band." Plus I'm sure there's other Evil Geniuses out there.

I don't think there's another Donny Who Loved Bowling, though. Which is nice.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:22 pm

corinpills wrote:My last band was the Pills and we were named by Ric Menck of Velvet Crush.
Neato! I liked the Velvet Crush but I liked the name of their previous band better--though what the hell was it? The Toy Trains? The Birthday Bus? Shit.

Inverse Room is a reverb.

cactus
takin' a dinner break

Post by cactus » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:57 pm

a nicorette nightmare

when it started out, my music was really spooky-sounding, so i liked the idea of "Nightmare" being in the title, then my friend had this most incredible, intense dream and described it to me. tuns out he fell asleep with nicorette gum in his mouth.
appartently that lends itself to giving you these unbelievable dreams. [it actually used to list that as a side affect on the box..]

so it stuck - a nicorette nightmare

nicksense15
gettin' sounds

Post by nicksense15 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:56 pm

music versus the heart

Its a line from an old Braid song and it always makes me think a little deeper about my life whenever I hear the phrase.

Plus we have a cool logo for it.

Check it out:

http://www.musicversustheheart.com

Nick

phait
takin' a dinner break

Post by phait » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:05 pm

I kinda like the simpleness of the site, nick.

The meaning of my project name "the carbon flaw" is deep enough that I wrote an article about it:

http://written.phait-accompli.com/opinion/flaw.php

Synopsis: carbon is in every living thing and every living thing (or even non-living thing) is flawed in some way (but I generally mean emotionally).

thecongostudio
steve albini likes it

Post by thecongostudio » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:13 pm

In high school, I played in a band called id.. That was purely on the fact that we did not fit into any real group and people said we went crazy on stage. We were the "id." of the scene, as you will and that's where it came from.

My other project "Milo Pony," came from a discussion while recording the disc without a name. We ended up talking about Milo Auckerman and how it would be funny if The Descendents played with My Little Pony's backstage. That's where that came from.

Right now, I'm working on my freak out hardcore insane band. It's tentatively being called "Geometry of a Riot." My girlfriend came up with it, with this theory she had about riots always following set patterns on what people do and how they move in the situation. I liked it to so much, I took it and she's okay with it!

The other band which I'm devoting most of my time to now is "Taipan." Which is a band with my boss, his bass player, and the drummer from Iron Boss. It is the most poisonous snake on earth.
Last edited by thecongostudio on Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yardleyone
steve albini likes it

Post by yardleyone » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:13 pm

i play in a group caled scrodent. We combined rodent with scrotum and there you have it
all the bad leaves fall on cake for heaven's sake

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:51 pm

trodden wrote: We also knew that in the Book of Revelations, Wormwood is the name of the comet/star/meteor that falls to earth and makes all the water undrinkable. I should know the the passage by now but can't remember what chapter and verse.
revalations 8:10-11

I was in a band called. Melo, it was such a bad name, and it is so embarassing. We purposly spelled it like that cause we were just stupid highschool freshman. Anyway, it was because we werent that heavy, played covers of the beatles in cafe's. we were lame...

-Chris

trianglelines
takin' a dinner break

Post by trianglelines » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:40 pm

My group is called Popstar Assassins. I was amazed that it wasn't taken when so many other "obscure" bandnames I'd brainstormed like The Exploder and Majestic-12 were already tied up...

I thought of it after some of my aquaintances started to get famous and tour and I found out they were indeed, acquaintances and not really friends... but it also just has that instantly memorable element that my previous band names did not... and it gives me a lot of freedom to write pop songs and not have to take sh1t for it because I obviously am doing it with 'intent'.

-TimT