Fruity vs. Reason?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
toastchee
studio intern

Fruity vs. Reason?

Post by toastchee » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:29 am

I'd like some opinions on this epic battle.

Fruity has Buzz machines and Buzz effects which are fantastic. It also has some cool features like super easy midi controller mapping. I can very easily mix with my Oxygen 8. On the other hand, I wasn't knocked out by the built-in machines, and I haven't really used the sampler all that much. Sampling is probably one of my highest priorities.

Reason's machines are the shiznit. Subtractor just blows me away. I also like the maelstron and the samplers. I know that the new free electromechanical refill is exactly what I want. However, I was able to get Fruity's latency much lower than reason by turning of 'hardware polling'. With reason I won't have the option of running my tracks thru some Buzz effects or for that matter any fx beyond a reverb, delay, comp, and scream.

Opinions wanted!

THanks.

midiot
pushin' record

Re: Fruity vs. Reason?

Post by midiot » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:30 pm

Here's my opinion, use them both as VST plugins in Sonar or Cubase, etc.. then use whatever plugin effects you want on each track individually, whether created with Fruity or Reason.
boom-ptch-boom

rob@SigmaDelta
gettin' sounds

Post by rob@SigmaDelta » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:24 pm

FLstudio has much better quality internally as well as it's render modes. It's internal controllers are AWESOME.

sad as i am to say it after looking at FLstudio recently, it's one fabulous peice of software. All in all once you learn it it makes reason seem pretty pathetic.
Lovingly signed,
Robert Randolph @
http://www.audio-labs.net

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:31 pm

never got inot fruity loops but reason's syths seem to me to be way cooler sounding that fl. Fl' sampler is not very good.

tommymakestapes
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tommymakestapes » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:06 am

the only thing i like better about fruity loops is the demo song. period.

Disasteradio
pushin' record

Post by Disasteradio » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:08 am

toastchee wrote:Fruity has Buzz machines and Buzz effects which are fantastic.
I can think of another program that does that too ;) heh. and with the new polac loaders, we're out of totally-quantized-land (not that I have any problem with that, ahem)

http://web.hibo.no/~mva/machineinfo.php?id=835

high tek
takin' a dinner break

Post by high tek » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:01 am

havent seen the lastest offering from FL, but i like reason to use....for fun.

i would not take this program seriously because it well, sound like reason.

the mixing architecture in reason is a joke.

you can HEAR a track that was made in reason right away.

but like someone mentioned, if you rewire EACH CHANNEL into cubaseSX, THEN you can use reason for serious work.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:41 pm

assuming that you like the sound of either I think their main strengths are:

Reason - immediate usable sounds
Fruity - robust, complex if you want it.

I prefer fruityloops although it's a little too robust for me these days. You can do just about anything with it. the sounds that come with fruity are ass unless you're making eurohouseblah.

Architect
audio school graduate

Post by Architect » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:28 pm

I would choose FL Studio over Reason because of the Lifetime Free Upgrades, the sound quality is good (if your using high quality instruments or samples) very flexible and you have a lot of options. I was never able to get into Reason because it seems so closed in, you have to use the sounds it gives you and nothing else. Just my 2 pennys.

octobre
audio school graduate

Post by octobre » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:02 am

reason's problem is that there is too much immediately at your fingertips. it's a huge library of pre-made polished doo-doo, in my opinion. there is nothing worse than putting a cd in or downloading an mp3 and hearing the same god damn rex loop for the upteenth time that month because everyone has a copy of reason 2.0. it's obnoxious as hell.

fruity loops is, to me, the best drum programming solution i've ever seen. pattern based, or through composing, i'm really impressed with it. it's got a solid internal sampler, and you can't beat the price with a stick.

are either of them your all-in-one host? no, i don't think so. i'm a little old fashioned, so i often will play my drum loops out eventually anyway into a "real" compressor or preamp to make them a little more useable in rock music, but i'll be damned if i'm going to let someone else do my programming for me.

also, i despise reason's synths. the lack of vst support in reason, in my opinion, is a dealbreaker, and makes fruity the clear winner if it's the only program you are going to be working with. i refuse to be stuck with what comes with reason, as there are way more high quality (even free) softsynths, effects and samplers for the VST format.
http://plusnine.buhananrecords.com
bu_hanan records - chapel hill, nc

DJDM
gettin' sounds

Post by DJDM » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:39 am

I would say that the ideal solution is to get both. Failing that it depends on what other software you already have. If you don't have a DAW of any kind you need something like Floops but in the end it comes down to certain specifics about your workflow.
I prefer Reason to Floops from a workflow standpoint. Reason is designed to be quick and easy to layer. Floops is like many DAWs focused on doing everything so gets a little cluttered. However Reason does not record audio. R3 has hardware support but no midi out. Floops is designed to be a good general solution for audio and loop based music with the additions of VST. The only downside to that is the CPU hit that most VSTs impose on your system. I for one can't get far enough in a production before my CPU craps out during layering of most VSTs.
Sound quality between them is comparable. They both use 32 bit float architecture. Some people complain about the perceived Reason sound. I only think that's an issue of you don't really explore the software very carefully.
You can check out demos to both of them and it sounds like you have. I would say your best bet is to let that process guide you and consider future usability of both of them to you.

toastchee
studio intern

Post by toastchee » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:50 pm

I ended up buying Fruity Producer Edition. It is wonderful, and I don't think I would have been as happy with Reason, for the simple matter that I can record audio in FL and mangle it with my favorite Buzz Effects.