The meaning behind your band/name

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: The meaning behind your band/name

Post by djgout » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:03 pm

my roommate and i just started a band that we've dubbed CPNFCKNMRC-A!!!!! it's pronounced CAPTAINFUCKINGAMERICA!!! i decided to call it that because i'm hardcore like that. i don't know why i decided to leave out all the vowels, i've never really liked them. that whole *sometimes Y* thing seems like a fucking sneaky thing to do.
justin herlocker
grindengineering (at) gmail (dot) com

Karlos the Jackal
ass engineer

Post by Karlos the Jackal » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:19 am

I used to be in a band called WeeHuggum. Yes!

We were originally called -- well, our name was an ink splotch that had no verbal equivalent, but it DID have a gesture -- so you could refer to the band when you were talking with someone face to face, but you couldn't tell anyone about it over the phone.

Anyway, there was a day care center called "Wee Huggum" on the way out to our practice house out in the county. I don't RECALL ever actually discussing this as a possible band name. However, when we had our first show, the bassist, who made the poster, WUSSED OUT of just using the ink splotch and put WeeHuggum on said poster. And the rest is nearly entirely forgotten history.

Most recently -- as in, several years ago -- I was in a band called Drowsy. We pared down to a duo pretty quick. Now it's just me. I am still Drowsy.

--K

Don Shumai
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Don Shumai » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:36 am

We picked Shumai because we were discussing the band name while getting sushi. Most of our stage names were taken from the appetizer menu (except for our bass player who was Razzle because she was from LA). We also have a side project called the Target Larks, which is named after, well, the Larks people ride around Target.

Scrodent made me laugh out loud. That's a great name.

Punkity
gettin' sounds

Post by Punkity » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:21 am

Comming up with band names is such a pain in the ass. It really doesn't matter what the band name is, and stupid band names are just as good as not-so-stupid ones. "Beatles" comes to mind as one of the dumbest band names on the planet, as long as you can somehow disassociate it from the band. As dumb and unimportant as band names go, it seems impossible to get all the members to agree on one, and you just have to steamroll over descenting voices at some point.

"Timebomb" and "Slipknot" are two bands in which my voice was the one shouted down. I still hate those names. I guess the reason behind those choices are that they sound badassed or mean or something. I think they sound wimpy.

"Soma Holiday" was one band name that I forced. It comes from "A Brave New World." Distopia and an escape through drugs was the idea I had. Hey, give me a break, it was a punk band in High School.

"Ingus Blow" is another that I forced. I really don't know why I liked it so much. It just made my mouth feel good when I said it. It also just sort of sounds like a band name in that meaningless poetics way. Shit, it's better than "Madagascar Paperclip" or whatever kids are naming their bands these days.

"William Christ Supercar" is one of my favorites, but it wasn't a band I was in. I think it is just a play on "Jesus Christ Superstar" and the drummers first name or something like that.

"Idiot" has been my favorite name of a band I was in. We were trying to come up with a name and were getting nowhere, so we decided that if we hadn't come up with one in a week we are a bunch of idiots and deserved that name. We didn't come up with one so "Idiot" we were. It turned out to be an great choice because if we were stuck coming up with new material, we would just turn to Russian literature or Soviet History ("Blues for Lenin" is an example).

There was one band I wanted to call "War Balls" just to knock some of the piss out of Mr. Oh So Heavy lead singer. That didn't fly.
Signage of the times.

corinpills
ass engineer

Post by corinpills » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:43 am

inverseroom wrote:
corinpills wrote:My last band was the Pills and we were named by Ric Menck of Velvet Crush.
Neato! I liked the Velvet Crush but I liked the name of their previous band better--though what the hell was it? The Toy Trains? The Birthday Bus? Shit.

Inverse Room is a reverb.
They released a shitload of singles under various names, but most notably ChooChoo Train, the Springfields, Pop the Balloon and the Reverbs. Most of that stuff is available in some form through Parasol Records.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:48 am

trodden wrote:Wormwood.

First taken from the C.S. Lewis book, The Screwtape Letters. We also have a song called screwtape.

We also knew that in the Book of Revelations, Wormwood is the name of the comet/star/meteor that falls to earth and makes all the water undrinkable. I should know the the passage by now but can't remember what chapter and verse.

Then shortly after, we found out about Absinthe. Wormwood being a key ingredient to the drink. Our first seven inch we put 100 of the 500 on "absinthe green" vinyl.

Those first three discoveries happened real close together.. with the second two, we knew for sure we wanted to call the band Wormwood, we were also thinking about Screwtape.

Then about a year later, found out that Tchernobyl translation is wormwood.

We play heavy heavy music, think Neurosis ala enemy of the sun/through silver and blood. 2 bass players. keyboardist on piano/organ/string sounds, drummer, and I do samplers, synths, and tribal percussions. all five of us sing, 4 screamers and one singer, lara the keyboardist.

we are not a christian band.

THere are a few other Wormwoods out there, one being a hippy jam band and the other being a christian rock outfit. Metalheads get wierded out when they show up to see us and get one of the other two. I think its great!.

Whoa...My bands name is ISTRA taken from a lesser known C.S. Lewis book called "Till We Have Faces". The name in the book parallels the Greek character Psyche in the story of Cupid and Psyche.

Here www.Istramusic.com

I think the site is down right now.

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:54 am

I got my band name (Sinkcharmer) by misreading a license plate. I was driving to work in Durham, NC and pulled behind a car that had the license plate SNKCHRMR. I had to do a bunch of plumbing type work that day... Still I liked (and still like) how stupid it sounded.

Oh and Don Shumai... sorry I never got you guys the Christmas song. The process of moving to NY put a temporary cramp on "getting things done." It's also harder to collaborate with Jen/Jef.

-Paul

Punkity
gettin' sounds

Post by Punkity » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:22 am

lsn110 wrote:I got my band name (Sinkcharmer) by misreading a license plate. I was driving to work in Durham, NC and pulled behind a car that had the license plate SNKCHRMR. I had to do a bunch of plumbing type work that day... Still I liked (and still like) how stupid it sounded.
Hey I was born in Durham and lived there till about '89!

Funny how choosing a bandname is all about our quirks. I liked and like "Ingus Blow" cause it made my mouth feel good and it was a mishearing of someone at a party talking about Inga's cocane.
Signage of the times.

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:39 am

My current band is Capratone. An ex-member came up with it while in Ecstacy in a techno club in Dusseldorf. He can offer no further insight, which is unsurprising really.
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:21 am

I will agree that some great bands have really stupid band names that after a while sound really cool and fit perfectly. The Beatles, as have already been mentioned, are a prime example of this.

My band:
Speakerphone- Simple, easy to remember.

Past bandnames when I first started: (in chronological order nonetheless)
The Characters- Taken from a phrase our drummer used in reference to the rest of us, "you guys are a buncha characters man."

Midnight Engineering- Heavily experimental music. We'd meet every Friday night and record/ play into the wee hours, often until it was early Saturday.

Nova- Dropped because there were too many people that already had band names with Nova in the title, a friends name is Nova and people thought we were either talking about the car or referring to Oasis.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:29 am

FoamyCloset wrote:
trodden wrote:Wormwood.

First taken from the C.S. Lewis book, The Screwtape Letters. We also have a song called screwtape.

We also knew that in the Book of Revelations, Wormwood is the name of the comet/star/meteor that falls to earth and makes all the water undrinkable. I should know the the passage by now but can't remember what chapter and verse.

Then shortly after, we found out about Absinthe. Wormwood being a key ingredient to the drink. Our first seven inch we put 100 of the 500 on "absinthe green" vinyl.

Those first three discoveries happened real close together.. with the second two, we knew for sure we wanted to call the band Wormwood, we were also thinking about Screwtape.

Then about a year later, found out that Tchernobyl translation is wormwood.

We play heavy heavy music, think Neurosis ala enemy of the sun/through silver and blood. 2 bass players. keyboardist on piano/organ/string sounds, drummer, and I do samplers, synths, and tribal percussions. all five of us sing, 4 screamers and one singer, lara the keyboardist.

we are not a christian band.

THere are a few other Wormwoods out there, one being a hippy jam band and the other being a christian rock outfit. Metalheads get wierded out when they show up to see us and get one of the other two. I think its great!.

Whoa...My bands name is ISTRA taken from a lesser known C.S. Lewis book called "Till We Have Faces". The name in the book parallels the Greek character Psyche in the story of Cupid and Psyche.

Here www.Istramusic.com

I think the site is down right now.
Hey, I'll check it out! Our keyboardist is a book nut and i'm pretty positive i've seen that in her shelves.

Yeah you site is under renovations... checking out the myspace songs...

A name know one... rockin.

www.wormwood.armrecords.com

citizenkeith
alignin' 24-trk

Post by citizenkeith » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:55 am

My band is Orchestraville, named after the children's record called "Rusty in Orchestraville."

I was in a band called Wind-Up Funny Action! There's a "toy" made in china called Duck on Bike and the bad chinese-english translation on the package said the toy had wind-up funny action.

chema
pluggin' in mics

Post by chema » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:10 am

"shots fired" because we like guns (no sarcasm implied).
do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - ralph waldo emerson

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:12 am

chema wrote:"shots fired" because we like guns (no sarcasm implied).
Honesty, a good thing.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

Post by Dr. Sausage » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:13 am

Galactic Phantom

My friend got the name from some fighting video game. I have no clue what game.