Fresh off the presses! Just wrote it yesterday.

In the CHAOS
audio school

Re: Fresh off the presses! Just wrote it yesterday.

Post by In the CHAOS » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:50 am

Very superfraglisticexpialidoshous...

okay, so i didn't actually listen to it :roll:
**Tune out the humming... Tune out the buzzing...**

zoetrope
pushin' record

Post by zoetrope » Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:39 pm

Sounds good, although I still think it could be louder. Maybe have someone master your songs if you're going to do the EP thing. Nice mix though, and a good song.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:56 pm

In the CHAOS wrote:Very superfraglisticexpialidoshous...

okay, so i didn't actually listen to it :roll:
lol. i so deserved that.
zoetrope wrote: Sounds good, although I still think it could be louder. Maybe have someone master your songs if you're going to do the EP thing. Nice mix though, and a good song.
Yeah, I'm totally gonna get them mastered. I think the bass needs to be tamed a bit on these too.

Thanks for all the "props". Except you helstab, you damn critic.. hehe. No, I like that, definately.
helstab wrote:I don't know about that kick. it's wierd. sounds like your thumbing the mic for the kick.
I just had a Shure sm91 outside the front head, but the way I tuned the kick on that song it had huge low end and not quite enough definition. I was also playing it very quietly in the verses, so theres practically no definition, which I kinda like. Could use a bit more beater in the chorus perhaps. Duly noted.

Do you guys think I should start getting a band together and working on doing some shows? I don't really know what instrument I'd wanna play live, if any at all. I can't concentrate on either my singing or my guitar playing when I do both at once, so I'd try to avoid that. I'll probably just sing, which is a change because I've played drums in every band I've ever been in.

Thanks again for all the input... there will be more as soon as I write some more lyrics. Oh lyrics, the bane of my existence.

mike

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:30 pm

Go out and play some shows. It's fun, as long as you can round up some good people to play with. And if you want to sing, do it. You've got a good/interesting voice.
Oh lyrics, the bane of my existence.
Odd. That's one of my favorite parts of the process.
I am wangtacular.

47ronin
ass engineer

Post by 47ronin » Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:15 pm

i liked the honestone mix...that is really a great song. maybe it was just my shitty speakers but it sounded a little jacked up in the mids to highs range. the guitars, your, voice, and the cymbals seem to be competing for the same frequencies a little bit. what kind of compression are you using?. maybe some more on the guitars. also i think if you are a one man band kind of thing then for a demo you want to make your voice more prominent in the mix as that is the only thing that wouldnt be changed if you ended up performing with a full band.
im going to check out your other songs if i can..

47ronin

omegatr0n
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by omegatr0n » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:27 am

Yes, please put a band together. If you have to focus on only one instrument, you gotta do the vox. I can't see anyone else doing these songs properly. Anyway, I've listened to 4 of your songs from this board and they are all good...I can't seem to get "Honest One" out of my head but it's alright 'cuz I actually like it. However you are making these, keep it up. Let us know when you finish an ep or lp. Oh, and when you start touring, don't forget to stop by Portland. Good luck!

stevemoss
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stevemoss » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:50 am

Lyrics are the bane of my existence, too, Mike. I can't tell you how many half-written things I've got where lyrically I've stalled out after the first verse and chorus, or have missing lines in an otherwise complete track.

I've also been toying with the idea of putting a bunch of guys together. Deciding on a live instrument has been fairly easy (I can't sing while drumming, but can successfully pull off rhythm guitar while singing), but the concerns for me have been twofold:
  1. - Multitracking everything myself, each performance is exactly what I wanted to hear (to the best of my abilities) - I don't know if I'll be able to let go of those parts enough to let other guys play, and I don't want to be a dick about "No, no, no - I want you to do that run just like on the recording".
  2. - I've never fronted anything before, nor have I sung or played guitar for folks. All my live experience has been as a drummer.
To remedy the second bit, I think I'll be hitting a few open mics with an acoustic guitar, just to get comfortable in front of folks. For the first, I have no idea. Keep us posted on what you decide to do and how you make those decisions - I'm really interested to see how other folks approach these things.