carpal tunnel

Let's critique eachother's websites.

Post by Mr. Dipity » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:47 pm

Come on, guys!!

Let's do it.

Don't hold back. Mine get's yours.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Re: Let's critique eachother's websites.

Post by MichaelAlan » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:50 pm

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:50 pm

Oh ya. Your site is pretty cool looking. I will check the mp3's later.

Mike

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:06 pm

Groovetronica - the fonts are hard to read, and site map disappeared on "DJs..."

Text goes off the page, made for a bigger screen than mine.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:07 pm

Lance Roma?ce wrote:Groovetronica - the fonts are hard to read, and site map disappeared on "DJs..."
Thanks.

It's a side scroller. I need to make that more obvious.

Fonts need to be a size bigger, but that is, in general, up to the user viewing the site. (ctrl-mouse scroll). However, most people won't know that.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:09 pm

I really would like to do this, a LOVE critique, but I don't think we can do every body's website reasonably in one forum. SO, lets just do SSerendipity's for now, I guess.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:11 pm

I just looked at all your sites. You guys owe me $575.

SMH
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:13 pm

Oh, SSerendipity's and mine.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:25 pm

Groovetronica - Also, i think there is a bit too much info at once when I first open the page, its a bit over whelming, and I don't really know which way to look.

I think its safe to assume that a lot of people who visit this site, have no idea who you are, and so I'd like it to be a little more welcoming.

The color scheme throws me off too. Remember - Red makes people angry. Ooh, thats a good idea for a new topic.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:29 pm

Lance Roma?ce wrote:Oh, SSerendipity's and mine.
My response for yours:

- Quite a colour scheme :>
- I'd make the menu a little more descriptive.

I appreciate the 'anti-design' of the pages, but I would make navigation a little easier. Crazy looking 'lo-tech' web pages that are also easy to navigate are way cool. (I was once tempted to make a web site that looked like text documents on a file server (or maybe just a web site made of text documents on a file server), but could't figure out how to make the navigation work.) There's so much content hidden (artwork, mp3s, etc) that unless you really look for it, or view every page of the site, you will miss something.

Personally, I'd put whatever I really wanted people to find on the front page. (mp3s, next show times/directions, show flyers).

my five minutes, and two cents.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:30 pm

Lance Roma?ce wrote:Groovetronica - Also, i think there is a bit too much info at once when I first open the page, its a bit over whelming, and I don't really know which way to look.
good point, again.

I was afraid I'd have no content to put on the site, so I tried to stuff it in the smallest screen space possible.

phait
takin' a dinner break

Post by phait » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:35 pm

Sserendpity -

good job. In IE it looks fine, yeah the header font might be a bit hard to read. In Firefox the scrollbars aren't colored and there are also horizontal bars in each frame.

I like the layout idea, I haven't seen it used much. I tossed around something like that years ago but never really used it.

I like the music too man. You know what'd be cool for the visitors, is different skins/colors to choose from - that'd be a nice fit to your site.

As for me, I have a little more than a few sites (see sig), but I guess this is just our music sites, so here is mine:

http://www.thecarbonflaw.com

There are some older designs for the site here: http://www.phait-accompli.com/design/p-websites.php

There is going to be an additional site for the album, I tested it on my Mac and I need to fix the gamma (where it's black on my PC it's much lighter...). Aside from that, I'm going to put up a site for my other project soon, but there's not going to be much there until I find time to dedicate to the project. I'll update here then. But for now here is a screenshot:
http://www.phait-accompli.com/crap/macd1.jpg

Thanks.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:43 pm

I'll check out everyone's sites tomorrow when I'm on a computer with a faster connection (dialup at home, y'see) but here's mine:

The corporate site

the Donny Who Loved Bowling site

the "solo" project site
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:57 pm

www.milesendmusic.com

Groove - Your site is awesome if I want to invest a lot of time. I think I checked it out awhile ago and DUG it, downloaded all the mp3's etc. It is just difficult to get in... your website has a learning curve. But once you get it, I think you have some of the best content on the web.

Your website is like a "concept album". I like it, don't change a thing... but it's not the best choice for an introduction to your stuff.
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

phait
takin' a dinner break

Post by phait » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:56 pm

seeabove

A no-bull minimalist approach, even though the grunge is trendy. A good job, but I'd make the navigation font more readable, some might find it hard to read. Presskit, wallpapers are nice offerings too. I think visitors would appreciate more member info right off the bat, though. BTW, I hope those are just demos or rehearsals in the music player, singer needs work.