HELP!: Burning playable CDs

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
samezvous
audio school graduate

HELP!: Burning playable CDs

Post by samezvous » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:05 am

I run a small little analog studio and I mix everything down to a recently purchased alesis masterlink. I like to give clients cds at the end of our sessions as well as burn cds for myself and fans of my own band (loshalos) and I'm having trouble. I am burning at 16/44 so that my car/stereo/walkman can read it, but while the first 5-6 songs play just fine, slowly the rest of the cd starts making that horrible digital skipping noise. More and more as the cd goes on. Eventually, it's simply unlistenable. It's not just my car either. Others have complained that their home stereos or boomboxs or walkmans or whatever...all suffer the same fate when playing my cds. I bought the masterlink in hopes that I would finally solve that problem. I used to use a phillips cd burner but I sold it because of this very same issue. It made no sense to have a burner that couldn't burn playable cds.

I guess my question is, am I doing something wrong here? It seems like everyone elses burned cds work but mine. I am using maxell blank cds.
Is this problem the fault of the masterlink or the media I am using. If it's the masterlink, what device or computer program should I get to burn PLAYABLE cds that will work on any system.
If it's the media, what is the brand and specific model of the blank cd that works best?
I hate to think that the only way to make a playable cd for a client is to send it to a reproduction house but what other options are there? i need some kind of reliability and so I thought I bought the best stand alone burner available.
What gives?
How do I fix this problem?
Thanks for all of your help...
Eli
eli

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Re: HELP!: Burning playable CDs

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:31 pm

That seems pretty messed up... If this happens consistently around the same program time, I'm thinking it could be the drive itself (which I understand is a fairly easy fix). I'd try another media once or twice to see if it still happens, though. Taiyo Yuden is a big favorite.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

lanxe
gettin' sounds

Post by lanxe » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:26 pm

i have the same exact problem with my burner (a cheap ass one)........ dont know what the problem is, but in my case, i guess i got what i paid for.

Ryan

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:24 pm

I've had the same problem in my car with a number of burned CDRs. It sounds like a pretty weird problem if it's related to the Masterlink. I've gotten pretty consistently good burns off of mine for about five years now. I would guess it's related to older players not reading inexpensive media very well, but I could be way off base. What type of CDRs are you using?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC