Midi on an mbox?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Midi on an mbox?

Post by hammertime » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:06 pm

I haven't done any midi on my mbox yet. I keep reading about some latency, where you have to adjust the offset of the midi tracks relative to audio after you record them. I want to use my dr-008 virtual drum module. Does anyone have any experience with virtual instruments/midi sequencing on an mbox?

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Re: Midi on an mbox?

Post by hammertime » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:06 pm

I already have a midi interface.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:55 pm

hammertime wrote:Does anyone have any experience with virtual instruments/midi sequencing on an mbox?
Yes.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:26 pm

Fuck you faggot. Anyone?

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:45 pm

no.
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:40 pm

Then don't respond, motherfucker.
toaster3000 wrote:no.

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:54 pm

hammertime wrote:Then don't respond, motherfucker.
toaster3000 wrote:no.
Specifically to mbox or vst's in general?
boom-ptch-boom

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:07 pm

i only responded to see if you'd be as charming in your response to me... and you were! awesome. in my experience with midi and shit on other platforms (logic, specifically) is that if you're sequencing an external module and then recording it in as audio, it may be necessary to nudge the audio forward to line up, as there is a small delay for the software to send the midi command, the interface to send it to the device, the device to interpret tghe command, and then for the device to output the sound, and then for the mbox to re-capture the sound. sometime's it's a problem, sometimes it's not. as with all things, use your ears, and if it sounds flammy, nudge it until it sits right for you.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:44 pm

Later. I'm sick of this forum. P.S., You're band sucks -- sounds just like every band I hear that sounds just like the Radiohead.
toaster3000 wrote:i only responded to see if you'd be as charming in your response to me... and you were! awesome. in my experience with midi and shit on other platforms (logic, specifically) is that if you're sequencing an external module and then recording it in as audio, it may be necessary to nudge the audio forward to line up, as there is a small delay for the software to send the midi command, the interface to send it to the device, the device to interpret tghe command, and then for the device to output the sound, and then for the mbox to re-capture the sound. sometime's it's a problem, sometimes it's not. as with all things, use your ears, and if it sounds flammy, nudge it until it sits right for you.

john

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:57 pm

I don't know why you come here. I guess you just need the bang.

Are you off to one of these:

in one of these:

?

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:37 pm

hammertime wrote:Later. I'm sick of this forum.
Did it occur to you that:

1- there's a "software/computer" section of this forum

2- there's a Digidesign forum where this question has been asked numerous times. http://duc.digidesign.com

The power of thought, an elusive concept to some people.

p.s. Toaster actually gave you the answer you were looking for, yet you still went about dissin' his band as your atitude swelled to epic proportions. Good luck with your career.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:43 pm

hammertime wrote:Later. I'm sick of this forum. P.S., You're band sucks -- sounds just like every band I hear that sounds just like the Radiohead.
toaster3000 wrote:i only responded to see if you'd be as charming in your response to me... and you were! awesome. in my experience with midi and shit on other platforms (logic, specifically) is that if you're sequencing an external module and then recording it in as audio, it may be necessary to nudge the audio forward to line up, as there is a small delay for the software to send the midi command, the interface to send it to the device, the device to interpret tghe command, and then for the device to output the sound, and then for the mbox to re-capture the sound. sometime's it's a problem, sometimes it's not. as with all things, use your ears, and if it sounds flammy, nudge it until it sits right for you.

john
Who is this band titled "the radiohead" that you speak of?

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:11 pm

bombastique wrote:
hammertime wrote:I haven't done any midi on my mbox yet. I keep reading about some latency, where you have to adjust the offset of the midi tracks relative to audio after you record them. I want to use my dr-008 virtual drum module. Does anyone have any experience with virtual instruments/midi sequencing on an mbox?
Yes.
Hey Hammer, you only asked one question, and he answered it. So "fuck you faggot" is a pretty out of line response for you to make, and that's not even getting started with the homophobic slur. Given your attitude though, I'm guessing you won't really care what anyone has to say about that.

Leigh

The Gibbon
gettin' sounds

Post by The Gibbon » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:40 pm

Uhm...now I feel like I may be off topic...but I thought that Pro Tools had a way of calculating latency...maybe not LE, but doesn't HD have the capability?

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:33 am

ctmsound wrote:
hammertime wrote:Later. I'm sick of this forum. P.S., You're band sucks -- sounds just like every band I hear that sounds just like the Radiohead.

john
Who is this band titled "the radiohead" that you speak of?
Maybe it's one he heard on the internets?

Seriously, though - I answered your question directly. If you want clear answers to your questions, you must first post clear questions.

Plus it helps to not be a dick.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson