I need to get some basic recording gear

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

I need to get some basic recording gear

Post by snuffinthepunk » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:09 pm

...something that I don't have to rely on a computer for because my computer sucks and i don't have the money to build a new one. Only problem is though, I really don't know exactly what I'm lookin for. Like it's been preached to me so far though, and I agree, I need to start recording as much as possible. All I have is a cheap superlux condenser mic that I used to record my acoustic guitar with. So, any basic recommendations would be appreciated ;)
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

midiot
pushin' record

Re: I need to get some basic recording gear

Post by midiot » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:14 pm

snuffinthepunk wrote:...something that I don't have to rely on a computer for because my computer sucks and i don't have the money to build a new one. Only problem is though, I really don't know exactly what I'm lookin for. Like it's been preached to me so far though, and I agree, I need to start recording as much as possible. All I have is a cheap superlux condenser mic that I used to record my acoustic guitar with. So, any basic recommendations would be appreciated ;)
Search ebay and Pawn Shops for a 4 track!
boom-ptch-boom

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:22 pm

work to save up some money and think about your goals and needs in the meantime..

first settle on a recording format (alalog at whatever level is possible or digital at whatever level is possible) that is best and affordable for you..

then the first thing you will need are mics and preamps..

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:39 pm

well I know i'm going to score myself an sm57 cuz I know i'll be seein them for the rest of my life. I honestly have no idea about the rest though, as I didn't get interested in this till I was 20 and then I moved away for a while and long story short did nothing accomplishing nothing put my aspirations on the back burner etc...so I've never owned any kind of gear and haven't learned about it in school yet, so, yeah...
I love signal flow.

www.primalgear.com

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:43 pm

look at studio websites and see what gear they are using to make your favorite records..thats a good way to learn a thing or two..

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:05 pm

what about as far as me doing simple recording though?

and check this out I got onto musician's friend to see what they've got right now....would i be stupid to pass on this or what?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=h ... id/271142/
I love signal flow.

www.primalgear.com

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:34 pm

snuffinthepunk wrote:...something that I don't have to rely on a computer for because my computer sucks and i don't have the money to build a new one...
I learned way before getting knee deep into all this stuff that having a half way decent computer isn't really necessary unless you are trying to do a great deal more than what it sounds like what you would like to accomplish. In fact I think alot of times people really down-play their computers worth. If you would like to just start recording and work up some of your own techniques and some typical applications of things, use the computer you have and clean whatever junk off of it you don't need. Install some audio recording software (find some free trial downloads online, or buy a cheap suite off the internet to get started). Have you read what people here have been saying about Traktion? In most cases you can use the soundcard your computer already has installed with much success and once you get your feet wet, you will only want more!!! :twisted:
snuffinthepunk wrote:...All I have is a cheap superlux condenser mic that I used to record my acoustic guitar with. So, any basic recommendations would be appreciated...
What were/are you using the superlux mic with?

all the best

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:45 pm

nlmd311 wrote:
snuffinthepunk wrote:...something that I don't have to rely on a computer for because my computer sucks and i don't have the money to build a new one...
I learned way before getting knee deep into all this stuff that having a half way decent computer isn't really necessary unless you are trying to do a great deal more than what it sounds like what you would like to accomplish. In fact I think alot of times people really down-play their computers worth. If you would like to just start recording and work up some of your own techniques and some typical applications of things, use the computer you have and clean whatever junk off of it you don't need. Install some audio recording software (find some free trial downloads online, or buy a cheap suite off the internet to get started). Have you read what people here have been saying about Traktion? In most cases you can use the soundcard your computer already has installed with much success and once you get your feet wet, you will only want more!!! :twisted:
snuffinthepunk wrote:...All I have is a cheap superlux condenser mic that I used to record my acoustic guitar with. So, any basic recommendations would be appreciated...
What were/are you using the superlux mic with?

all the best

-Darrill
well first off i have a celeron processor, it's 1.7 gHz but it still kinda sucks. Thing is though...DAW stuff isn't what I know I need to get ahead on, cuz that side of things comes easy to me kinda. I already have the basic concepts of how they work, as I've had a couple in the past (cakewalk, adobe audition, acid pro 4.0) and, well that's what i've been studying in lab all month and that isn't difficult. I couldn't tell you the first thing about how to work a 4 track recorder though. So that's why I want something outboard...I DO wanna start recording stuff and workin up my own techniques and seein what works and what doesn't, but if i'm stuck doing it all here in my room then that could be a disadvantage. So I wouldn't mind somethin I could take places with me, there are musicians all over this place. It'd be good to be able to just pack up and go record some people I know jammin.

I was recording with the superlux mic into my computer using ummm acid pro and adobe audition. it had pretty good results, I was really surprised. I don't have that anymore. 1 - it was a cracked version. 2 - the disk I have it on that my friend gave me has a virus on it and I don't feel like dealin with that.
I love signal flow.

www.primalgear.com

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:00 pm

snuffinthepunk wrote: well first off i have a celeron processor, it's 1.7 gHz but it still kinda sucks. Thing is though...DAW stuff isn't what I know I need to get ahead on, cuz that side of things comes easy to me kinda. I already have the basic concepts of how they work, as I've had a couple in the past (cakewalk, adobe audition, acid pro 4.0) and, well that's what i've been studying in lab all month and that isn't difficult. I couldn't tell you the first thing about how to work a 4 track recorder though. So that's why I want something outboard...I DO wanna start recording stuff and workin up my own techniques and seein what works and what doesn't, but if i'm stuck doing it all here in my room then that could be a disadvantage. So I wouldn't mind somethin I could take places with me, there are musicians all over this place. It'd be good to be able to just pack up and go record some people I know jammin.

I was recording with the superlux mic into my computer using ummm acid pro and adobe audition. it had pretty good results, I was really surprised. I don't have that anymore. 1 - it was a cracked version. 2 - the disk I have it on that my friend gave me has a virus on it and I don't feel like dealin with that.
I completely understand your want and true necessity for some type of tape based recording device if not for anything but than to learn from. Even picking up a cheap 2 or 4 track reel to reel off of eBay or thrift store/pawn shop will help you tons in this. Learning how to thread tape was one of the coolest things I think I have learned! Much more fun than setting up tracks in the digital domain. Not to bash you or computers though, but even if you feel you have had enough of software based recording, you probably haven't. It is cool that you have had experience with some different applications, but you might want to keep trying some others. Many of those you mentioned aren't the most up to date, or "Pro" things that I can think of. If you want to head in the "Professional" direction, you might want to spend some more time on "Pro" applications even if it is just in the labs at school. A quick protools operator is better than a quicker Acid operator... I assume.

Don't bother with the cracked/pirated stuff. Plenty of legit things available for free or cheap online. Virus and hassle free.

-Darrill

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:05 pm

heck I didn't mean to come off like I was a DAW pro, i hope you didn't take it that way? all i meant is that it's easy for me to learn that stuff, but, I've never touched any recording medium other than that, and i know I need to. I don't know how to work a 4 track though....that's what I'm gettin at. I know i'll be learning way more than that later on in my education, but, I really really want to get a head start.
I love signal flow.

www.primalgear.com

The Gibbon
gettin' sounds

Post by The Gibbon » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:33 pm

Heck, your cassette deck records...your VCR records...got a minidisc recorder?....the basics are all around you...get a little mixer, learn signal flow, proper levels and how to overdub using what you have....a little imagination can lead to alot of learning.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:43 pm

The Gibbon wrote:Heck, your cassette deck records...your VCR records...got a minidisc recorder?....the basics are all around you...get a little mixer, learn signal flow, proper levels and how to overdub using what you have....a little imagination can lead to alot of learning.
Well put.
Signal Flow! Great for just about everything from learning your gear to fixing your gear.

-Darrill

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:08 am

I've have a celeron 1.3 ghz with only 384 megs ram, and I run protools 6.4 through a digi001. It bogs down a little sooner than I'd like (think I need to pump up the ram) but it's a very usable setup, and I like it a lot... But definitely explore tape. It's tactile, and there's a lot to be said for that... Plus, I think that an analog/digital-hybrid setup is the way to, as that's what I have (record on tape, dump to daw, record more tracks direct to digital, edit, mix though analog board).