I hate all the reverb plugs or hardware I have ever heard.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
TheStevens
pushin' record

Re: I hate all the reverb plugs or hardware I have ever hear

Post by TheStevens » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:54 pm

segaface wrote:
Moon Unit wrote:The covolution reverbs are about the best thing going.

If used correctly, they're the most viable substitute for an actual room there is. Still not completely ideal, but pretty damn close in certain situations.
Yeah! Have you guys tried this:

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html?

andy
Yeah, the SIR is awesome!! And it's free! Check it out!

-steve

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:58 pm

I like the spring reverb on my guitar amp.

Software reverbs are most often cheesy, occasionally cool, and not neccesary as often as one thinks.

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:10 pm

are you on a pc?

try to track down a copy of Sonic Foundry Acoustic Mirror or the newer (last?) version of Sound Forge with it built in. it sounds GORGEOUS! it was way ahead of its time, blew me away when i first heard it.

it may be these little orb speakers that i just happen to have hooked up, but i just checked out altiverb and it sounds good, real time of course, but it's super expensive and kind of short on sampled spaces. Acoustic Mirror commands a certain workaround (as in printing the reverb, it's technically useable as a direct x plugin but it was kinda shaky) but it's really really comparable to altiverb. it actually came out a good 5-6 years ago as well.

and yeah, i second that emotion for a freeware convo. reverb for mac. SURELY there must be something unix that can be ported by some super amazing genius somewhere. peak sort of has it, and you can import your own files to use (by the extremely flexible/high tech 'clipboard' reference) and it sounds decent, but i haven't messed around with it too much.

cassettefetish
steve albini likes it

Post by cassettefetish » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:21 pm

wow.
Last edited by cassettefetish on Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

gabriel
ass engineer

Post by gabriel » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:06 am

I don't know, something about the vibrant splashiness of the Fostex 3180 spring reverb really does it for me. I think it really depends what kind of music you're recording, though. Some music ought to sound like it's happening in an actual acoustic space, but some music just has no use for that concept, and would rather be happening in a strange outer-space fantasy world... I also have this MasterRoom XL-305 spring reverb that has a dark, murky tone to it that almost makes it hard to tell it's a spring.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:22 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW
SPX 900 on eBay for $329 Buy It Now...
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:13 am

I'm not enamoured exactly with digital reverbs but i think you can make them work with a little thought in to what space you're wanting the instrument to appear in (thinking of the mix as a room). I often find the hi-end's way too much on digital verbs, but EQing obviously helps. I've used some terrible reverbs and still got some results i'm really pleased with. I've been playing with pretty much always using an omni even if you don't hear much in the mix, i think it adds a certain quality that you just can't get from adding reverb to a closed miced dry sound, it doesn't appear to me to be a similar concept to reverb in the rooms i record in, perhaps in a far larger space. I'm still adding a little reverb as well, but with the omni it sounds less like a dry sound with a reverb tail than i was hearing it as before and i'm getting more of that 'mix as a room' sound that personally i'm after.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

choke3d
alignin' 24-trk

Post by choke3d » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:47 am

this sorta ties in to something i was thinking about while trying to fall asleep last night - stereo vs. mono reverb. I did a record for a local band on a 1/2" 8 track - we were going for the "early indie" type of sound. we did drumes/git/bass on all 8, then did a bounce to 1/4" 2track, then back to the 8 and added vocs/percussion/synths/etc. When doing the bounce, I had to add some verb, so I just set up a mono aux through a Furman RV-1 spring reverb. I also had a Yamaha GEP something-or-other guitar effects processor - it had stereo verbs that weren't that bad, but the RV-1 just seemed to sound more "real". It may have helped that the kit had a mono overhead, but the mono vern gave me a depth that fell into the mix more naturally.
I'm working now on a "semi-solo" project where I brought in a bunch of local ban friends to do different tracks - sort of an "all-star" lineup kinda thing. The drumd were tracked to ADAT, all of it is now in Pro Tools and that's where I'm overdubbing. I have the Realverb plug, and while it is a lot of fun to play with, and sounds good, it just doesn't have the same mojo.
I guess my question is - "is the idea of mono reverb just nuts?"

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:25 am

choke3d wrote:I guess my question is - "is the idea of mono reverb just nuts?"
I don't think anything's nuts if everyone creatively involved think it's great.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Cappy*tan
gettin' sounds

Post by Cappy*tan » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:27 pm

Rigsby wrote:
choke3d wrote:I guess my question is - "is the idea of mono reverb just nuts?"
I don't think anything's nuts if everyone creatively involved think it's great.
You just haven't heard MY recordings. lol ;)

gabriel
ass engineer

Post by gabriel » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:04 pm

Why don't you try making two slightly different aux sends, recording each through the mono reverb, and then panning those hard (or not-so-hard) left and right? Could be fun... When something seems nuts, you just gotta make it more nuts until it's so crazy it works!

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:20 am

Sorry to sound like a snob here, but the TC System 600 is a frighteningly authentic sounding reverb. I'd rather record dry and use that than record in most concert halls because I get all the 'verb I want, ridiculous levels of parameter control, and no environmental noise. But then, the going rate is in the $9k and up range, so it probably is beyond the budget.

But I would be concerned that if you just don't like any reverb sound, then perhaps you are setting up your signal flow to and from the 'verb in a strange way.
I like to have a pair of aux sends connected to the L&R inputs on a reverb engine, and then the outputs of the reverb unit patched back into two more full channels on the console. (In the case of the TC, 8 auxes are normalled to the stereo ins on 4 engines and returned across 8 console channels.) I also tend to use one "main" reverb that is the 'room' into which I place the band. I dial in tiny bits of kick and bass, lots of snare, overheads, maybe piano, solo instruments, etc. Basically I create a second, parallel mix headed for the reverb and then bring that into two channels and mix it with the dry sound of all the channels. This layout really makes it easy for most any reverb to sound 'natural' especially since those console return channels can be equalized, compressed, etc. to make the sound more convincing.
But if you are trying to drop a reverb plug-in on each DAW track that seems to need it, you won't necessarily get the same kind of blend and homgenous reverb sound as you do when little bits of each instrument are dialed into the 'room'. And if you are doing something like taking a final mix, and patching it into a reverb processor, with the outputs passing on to the mix-down deck, then you've got a very weird situation. Reverb across a mix adds the same amount of reverb to every instrument, but things like kick and bass should have the same reverb as background vocals or a sax solo.

As long as you understand what your setup is trying to achieve and you hold realistic expectations of how the reverb should sound, I think you'll find that every reverb is good for somethings.

-Jeremy

blixton
takin' a dinner break

Post by blixton » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:04 am

yeah, all you need is a lexicon lxp-1 and mix the reverb properly.

phait
takin' a dinner break

Post by phait » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:13 am

InvalidInk wrote:What sucks is there aren't any cool plug ins for MACS that are free. Alitiverb is expensive..
http://www.smartelectronix.com/~magnus Ambience ?