I'm getting my first "real" mic.....

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
JASIII
george martin

I'm getting my first "real" mic.....

Post by JASIII » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:46 pm

I work at a music store and last week our AKG rep stopped in because AKG was having a one day sale where ANYTHING was 20% off end column. ANYTHING. So i jokingly asked him if that included C12's, and it did. not that i can afford one at discount even, would have still been almost $3000. But the rep did point out that I could get one of the new 414's for $479!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say, I've got one on the way. I've got some decent mics, but this 414 will be a real step up from my 4033's, C3000's and CAD M179. Sometimes my job isn't all that bad........
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

mjau
speech impediment

Re: I'm getting my first "real" mic.....

Post by mjau » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:50 pm

Is a 414 a step up from a 4033? I've heard great things about the 4033.

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:54 pm

I work at a music store and last week our AKG rep stopped in because AKG was having a one day sale where ANYTHING was 20% off end column. ANYTHING. So i jokingly asked him if that included C12's, and it did. not that i can afford one at discount even, would have still been almost $3000. But the rep did point out that I could get one of the new 414's for $479!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say, I've got one on the way. I've got some decent mics, but this 414 will be a real step up from my 4033's, C3000's and CAD M179. Sometimes my job isn't all that bad........
Our rep came down and told us that as well. I was stoked, and if it wasn't for the fact that Shure had a similar deal (KSM44 for $329!?!?!?) that I already spent my money on, I would have picked up an AKG 414 in no time. Oh well, Audio Technica, I'm told, is gonna be having a similar deal soon.

Ian

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:56 pm

Will this affect those of us who can't buy direct from the retailer, i.e., will stores pass along these savings or pocket them up in a mad, capitalistic dash?

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:09 pm

Will this affect those of us who can't buy direct from the retailer, i.e., will stores pass along these savings or pocket them up in a mad, capitalistic dash?
Well, the problem is MAP, or minimum advertised price. We are not allowed to advertise below a certain price point to keep us independent and small retailers from being crushed to death by musicians friend. We do however, offer unadvertised discounts when we recieve discounts on products. It helps our customers buy for prices below the big boys, and helps us get our name out. SO in effect, if the store where you shop wants to pass the deal on, they will. If they do, go back more often and see what their prices are. If it's musicians friend, good luck.

Ian

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:27 pm

mjau wrote:Is a 414 a step up from a 4033? I've heard great things about the 4033.
yes, it is. you'll still find plenty of use for the 4033, but the 414 will bring you a whole new dimension of versatility and range.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:32 pm

mjau wrote:Is a 414 a step up from a 4033? I've heard great things about the 4033.
Hmmmm. Multi-pattern, dual HP filters and pads, a studio staple for years? I'd say so. Now a 414 vs. a 4050--you're getting a little closer to grey area.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:47 pm

Right on Chris. I use my 414 a lot, but gotta say that my fav of the two is the 4050 overall.
The latest stuff I've been doing is pretty straight ahead rock and really none of my LDC mics have been making the session. It seems like vox sounds best with something like the SM7. Lots of 57s, RE20s, MD421, AKG451's on OH...
The only places I can think of an LDC being used was a 4047 in front of the kick (and I'm not sure if we kept it there or not) and maybe the 414 as an underside snare mic (and really could have used just about anything there).

later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:49 pm

Hey JAS,
Killer mic btw...I really do dig my 414. I didn't want you to think we're dissing your new mic. These are staples. So versatile...you'll use them on everything....drum overheads, toms, vocals, gtr cabs. Slap em in front of everything. Put it on omni and try for room mics, etc. It's a great, great, first LDC mic.
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:59 pm

Those new 414s are pretty cool, I know I talked crap about them and their ads, but after checking them out I was really impressed.

Of corse maybe the AKG people picked a really bad sounding old 414 to AB them to. :wink:

ryangobie
steve albini likes it

Post by ryangobie » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:21 pm

i am monster face wrote:
Well, the problem is MAP, or minimum advertised price. We are not allowed to advertise below a certain price point to keep us independent and small retailers from being crushed to death by musicians friend. We do however, offer unadvertised discounts when we recieve discounts on products. It helps our customers buy for prices below the big boys, and helps us get our name out. SO in effect, if the store where you shop wants to pass the deal on, they will. If they do, go back more often and see what their prices are. If it's musicians friend, good luck.

Ian

hey, i was just wondering what your store was like...around me...all the stores are just trying to become guitar center instead of doing their own thing...it's kinda depressing to me...most of them don't even have a pro audio department...just a display case with a few low end dynamics
weeeee

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:57 pm

hey, i was just wondering what your store was like...around me...all the stores are just trying to become guitar center instead of doing their own thing...it's kinda depressing to me...most of them don't even have a pro audio department...just a display case with a few low end dynamics
We're actually nothing but Pro Audio. Both live sound and recorded sound. We are also stage and lighting. We deal with no instruments except for midi controllers. We have a vintage mic section (I hate the word 'vintage'), (some of which is where I bought some of my own collection). We attempt to market our product to our client quite differently than guitar center simply because we feel we have the product knowledge and service to provide them with the same price but with the better product. Know what I'm getting at?

Ian

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:27 pm

From me... amateur boy... the 414 is a dream. Best investment I ever made way back when. Enjoy the damn thing man!

I got my first 421 coming on Monday and I can't wait..

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:39 pm

I also own both a 414 and a 4033....Yes Yes Yes it will be a step up...Not to say that I'm shitting on the 4033's but the 414 is a step up in sound quality from the 4033...Have fun...

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:43 pm

I just bought my first real (as in better than a 57) mic today. Also an AKG. It's a 451. I think I overpaid just a bit but it's one of the old ones with twist-off capsules. I read here that Blue makes a capsule which is mighty nice. So far it seems to like exactly what everyone has said a SDC would be good on. Havent tried it as a drum OH yet. Someone tell me I made a better choice than a Shanghai mic, right?