21,000 dead in Asia.

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

21,000 dead in Asia.

Post by bad_dude_69 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:31 am

my fellow americans, does this not highlight the severe need to not stumble, falter, or fail in the war against mother nature...
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

ottokbre
deaf.

Re: 21,000 dead in Asia.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:29 am

my best friend has been in Thailand with his wife for the last three weeks. no word yet on how they are.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:04 am

looks like Propellerheads got a little product placement in the ordeal

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:07 am

it's up to at least 23,000... tragic. nature's built-in population control system in action.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:35 pm

Shoulda been L.A... there I said it.

Ever hear that tool song Aenima?

(edit: spelling)
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

rfbutter
gettin' sounds

Post by rfbutter » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:21 pm

Read about it this morning, burried under 5 pages of Reggie White tributes( I live in WI). I could not believe that the deaths of so many are given a sidebar article because of an athelete. Reggie will be missed, great man, but Holy Shit people need to prioritize just a little.
no war for heavy metal!

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:08 pm

ihavecomputer wrote:my fellow americans, does this not highlight the severe need to not stumble, falter, or fail in the war against mother nature...
Someone must pay for this. I'm thinking Bin Laden, therefore: we must attack Thailand.

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Post by crookedsound » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:37 am

This morning on the Today show they said it could be as many as 40,000 people.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:16 am

I don't know why I'm so fascinated by this, but does anybody have footage of the actual waves hitting? The only thing I've seen is a few waves hitting a hotel with a really tall seawall, so there's no feel for how big they are. I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for the scope of the thing.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:08 am

Tuesday December 28, 6:14 AM
Hunt Is on for Dramatic Tsunami Pictures
Besides grateful relatives, tourists returning from Asian countries struck by the killer tsunami are likely to be met by news agency representatives hunting for video of the cataclysmic event.

"There will still be, I think, the definitive shot, the wall of water," Sandy MacIntyre, director of news for Associated Press Television News in London, said Monday.

American TV networks have been rushing reporters and camera crews to countries affected by the disaster. As they cover the aftermath, there's also an intense effort to find video of the event as it happened, to convey the awesome power of the natural phenomenon.

APTN is competing fiercely with another news agency, Reuters, to acquire video. APTN producers were sent to six airports in Europe and Asia on Monday to ask tourists if they had captured the scene on their home video cameras, MacIntyre said.

CNN, Fox News Channel and MSNBC covered the story heavily Monday, often running the same video clips over and over.

The most arresting shot was taken from the roof of a building at Pa Tong beach in Thailand, showing a giant wave crashing into the shore and spilling into buildings and onto streets. It was taken by an Australian tourist and acquired by an Australian television station as soon as he arrived in Sydney, said Anna Murray, an APTN news editor.

Another frequently seen clip showed a pool overrun by a wave, with terrified sunbathers trying to run away. It was shot by a tourist in Sri Lanka, Murray said. Another shot shows a different pool being overtaken by ocean water pouring in from over a hill.

News agencies must depend on amateurs for this video. Many may still be traumatized by the event and may not realize what they caught on camera, MacIntyre said.

"Obviously there weren't news crews staking out the beaches," said Chuck Lustig, ABC News director of foreign news.

Like the steadily climbing death toll, the story should continue to unfold over the next several days.

"There are still places where journalists haven't been yet _ or even relief agencies and government workers," Lustig said.
boobs are life's fountain

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:21 am

Tuesday midday > Varying sources on Google News put new death toll estimates at between 44,000 and 55,000. That's 44,000-55,000 DEAD PEOPLE.

Apparently in one town in Indonesia, the town of Meulaboh on the island of Sumatra, 10,000 have perished.

That's fucking unbelievable.

madpie
pushin' record

Post by madpie » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:49 am

andrew embassy wrote:I don't know why I'm so fascinated by this, but does anybody have footage of the actual waves hitting? The only thing I've seen is a few waves hitting a hotel with a really tall seawall, so there's no feel for how big they are. I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for the scope of the thing.
http://qstream-down.qbrick.com/00862/ny ... unami4.mov

Edit: just realized this is probably the clip you've already seen. I'm curious about it too. I guess it's a morbid fascination, but I've never seen a real tidal wave except in this clip.
With my Les paul, I know I'm small.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:17 am

I hadn't seen that video- thanks for posting it. Any others?

What's odd, maybe living near the ocean has affected my feel for waves and the videos haven't given a good sense of scale- but looking at that video, it just looks like a really big wave- I have a hard time thinking that it would kill so many people, you know?
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:20 am

I have seen so little 'cus I dont have a TV. Yesterday I went scouring the web for pics or video of the actual tsunami. I think what it comes down to is that we like to see the monsters under the bed in order to deal with them. Its a total metaphysical needs.
boobs are life's fountain

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:17 am

from a purely scientific view, the whole thing is rather facininating. anyone have links to other video?

50,000 dead already. lack of clean water and shelter + thousands of dead bodies means disease and much more death to come. unbelievable.

the US pledged 15 million dollars in relief. outrageous. we are spending billions on KILLNG Iraqis, and only have 15 million to spare on SAVING thousands.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band