My Golden Bats Album available for download

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

My Golden Bats Album available for download

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:34 pm

let me know how you like it :

I just put the Golden Bats up on the FTP..check it out..its a two piece..me and my buddy Denis..we played two shows..one in a basement and one in a really hot garage..Its a concept album..a fake soundtrack to an invisible movie..80% is improvised and overdub improvised..run time is 59 minutes..it will take about 15 minutes to download..sometimes boring sometimes exciting..its got something for everyone..a lot of banging on stuff..my cat purrrrs..you can reggae jam out to it for 30 seconds..I'm very happy with it..there is a hardcopy of the album..it utilizes transparent film which is printed on (cover and traycard) and gives it a really unique and exciting look..i sold about 60 of them for 5$ even thought they cost 4$ to make..I manufacture them DIY so I can just print them up as I need them..

the album was recorded with shure mics and a mackie 1402vlzpro into a delta 44 (the very same one that fellow Canadian CREOT member Jay is currently rocking) to logic 4.x..i think the max # of tracks on a song is 4..I am one one speaker and denis is on the other in a lot of the material..(mostly the noisey parts)..

Will plays acoustic on track 2 (live to 3 track) Aria sings on track 7 and our own WING's beat of the week #2 is featured on a short part someplace in there..Tom loaned us a snare we never used..

enjoy..

http://www.helstab.com/creot/

Thanks to Matt for hosting the FTP..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: My Golden Bats Album available for download

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:08 am

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:29 am

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:11 am

Awesome

happy easter

-mad

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:40 pm

thanks for listening..What did you like about it..

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:11 pm

i like it a lot. really full sounding, interesting arrangements of sounds. convincing soundscape, immersive. dynamic. cool stuff!
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:30 pm

thanks i have computer..

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:43 pm

I liked Golden Bat a lot! Very experimental. How did you arrange those songs? Did you just keep adding things as you went along or did was it premeditated?

I dug Rockabilly alot as well. I didn't really have time to listen to everything you had up though.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:09 am

InvalidInk wrote:I liked Golden Bat a lot! Very experimental. How did you arrange those songs? Did you just keep adding things as you went along or did was it premeditated?

I dug Rockabilly alot as well. I didn't really have time to listen to everything you had up though.
i was focusing more on the transitions from song to song than anything else..track 1 was improv and overdub improv 2 was live improv to 3 track, 3 was a little more arranged than improv the only song that was really written out was 7 or "seadeath" and you can tell if you listen..the rest were various degrees of improvisation and cut and paste off the cuff arrangement..

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:07 am

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:thanks for listening..What did you like about it..
Boy, i didn't know there was going to be quiz.
let's see, i like it?

because it's like a very cohesive bunch of disparate elements
because it sounds like I tuned it in on shortwave perfectly positioned between two stations
because it sounds like some genius non-musicians taped over somebody's found 4 tracks
because it sounds like some stoner super-musicians doing Dali's spoon trick
because it wanders, but doesn't seem to get lost

yup

-mad

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:34 am

holy cow..you liked it a lot..

sometimes its hard to judge your own stuff and the feedback really helps to put it into perspective..

thanks so much for the really really kind review..

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:00 am

So i finally got a chance to listen to it properly and made notes as it played, some of this is pure matters of taste and some of it is mixing and some of it is compliments and some of it is other things, but here's what i thought..

Track One - Toms sound a little loud at the start, actually in both sections where the wood flutes are, so is the tin hit in the second wood flute bit. I really liked the tin hit and rim shot pattern towards the end (these may not've been the actual sounds you were using, but it's what i heard them to be).

Track Two - Nice kalimba type stuff - bass is warm - kind of got a bit old school monster magnet which put me off a little - not sure why as i really like tab. Guess it wasn't what the mood had set me up for.

Track Three - Very pretty - but i didn't like the drum machine. i think drum machines tend to cheapen things and this didn't deserve it, but it's a taste issue anyway.

Track Four - Really liked the dub stuff and nice blend from the sampled dub beat, cymbals on the real kit sound a little loud when they first come in.

Track Five - Good stuff, like the sounds, short bass hits at the start really really drew me in. The twinkly doubling of the main pattern at around 1.50 is great - this piece really builds. Nice stop in the middle. great stuff.

Track Six - Kind of sounded a little like track three til it got all crazy metal which was cool, like the radio stuff after that and the effect that ended the piece.

Track Seven - Like the vocal (which is rare for me) and the big 'smash' at around 3.40 - especially as the tune didn't break out into something then as you might expect, rather it started to end instead - nice touch. Probably the record's most commercial piece and not in a negative way.

Track Eight - Great guitar tones - wasn't sure that the pizzicato pattern always worked though - the 3rd note sounds off in places to my ears. I like the fact that i felt there was a drum kit in the room without really hearing much from it. Did go on a little long for me, but otherwise really enjoyable.

Track Nine - Great metallic and wooden sounds fromt he outset - just really nice overall - especially the string stuff. Didn't think the bass guitar bit before the last section really added anything though i really like where the piece ended up where it broke out, then got cut up, kind of a nice tease. Good call there, if we had the chance to hear more of the tune it almost broke into it wouldn't seem so precious. Great stuff, and then a nice ending to the disc, like you guys were finished and knew it.

Overall i guess i liked the record more as it went along. At the start to be honest it sounded a little like a rainy day on a four track with few actual ideas but really flourished into something gradually as it went along. Funnily enough the more it went on the less it sounded like 4-track or early floyd recordings and the more it sounded like you had inspiration, the more i liked it. I hope the things i had to say didn't seem to harsh, just bewing honest and trying to be constructive. Good work, would like to hear more from you guys.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com