am I getting old or does stuff suck?

ottokbre
deaf.

am I getting old or does stuff suck?

Post by ottokbre » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:16 pm

is pop-indie music really getting more dissapointing? I am so sad to see everyones top albums of 2004. :cry:
boobs are life's fountain

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Re: am I getting old or does stuff suck?

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:32 pm

ottokbre wrote:is pop-indie music really getting more dissapointing? I am so sad to see everyones top albums of 2004. :cry:
:? I thought this was a pretty good year for music.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:34 pm

ottokbre wrote:am I getting old or does stuff suck? :cry:
Yes and yes.

Nice signature by the way. If I ever get one of dem fancy floating machines I'm gonna take me a nice trip from the US, across the great oceans, to Canada. :lol:

Bad Halen
gettin' sounds

Post by Bad Halen » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:37 pm

Well, we're ALL getting older.......... :wink:

But, yeah, there's a lot of crap out there. ACtually, though, I've been somewhat more impressed than in previous years.

I WILL say this though. DAMN THAT NEO-DISCO/INDIE-ROCK BEAT!!!!

I think Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, etc. are good bands but, fuck me.......that disco beat is just plain dumb and really tasteless (and not in the good way, IMHO).

".....soap heah, getcha soap heah........!!!"

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:44 pm

ottokbre wrote:am I getting old or does stuff suck?
No and yes. You're not getting old, for some bizarre reason. How'd you do that btw?!? Oil of Ulay? But stuff does suck. Mainly your mom. Boy does she ever. In a good way - a quite exquisite way actually.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:49 pm

for example, micaiah?

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:53 pm

ok, number one on so many lists is the Arcade Fire. I posted these comments elsewhere, please don't mind the grammer, you knows how i do;
I have been disecting Funeral for the last few days. It shoots itself in the foot a lot. Both creativly and sonicly.

You can tell that no one thought about mixing it when they were tracking it. It's quite odd, cus they took so many jabs at making the recording more open and natural, but the tracks don't fit. (They are obviously accomplished musicians, so it must be infinatly better live) In more than a few songs the vocals dissapear in places where they shouldnt. The room sounds don't jive with the other insturments in the mix on virtually every song, except the song that sounds like a Sparklehorse plagerism, but its simply because the mix is so uncluttered. Keys and accordians come in and feel jabby because they are the one close mic'ed and dry mixed source. The singer sounds like he is on the other side of a grange hall, which would be really cool if there wasent someone on a accordian playing in your ear. It makes it the spectrum confusing. And top that off with bass that is always over compressed with way too much release time. So it never pulses buts bleeds over the kick so it feels off time and out of feel.

The songs are very strong though. Nothing ground breaking, but its definatly clever in places. IF these guys get an advance on the next album, they really have no excuse but to make it sound great and do what, perhaps, they couldnt technically do with this album. It's pretty clear that they don't want to sound flat or uninteresting. They like sounds, they just need to work with someone that knows where to put them. They also need to figure out who they are. The album is rife with nods of other succsessful contemporaries, and the alt-pshyc-pop genra is'nt exactly an uncrowded one either. Why on gods green earth these guys got put up on such a high pedestal is beyond me. I like them all the same, but don't see them taking themselves as serious as everyone else seems to be about them.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:58 pm

uh, here was my list....there prolly already a post about this though huh?

Albums:

Fennesz - Venice
Alpha - Stargazing
Lali Puna - Faking the Books
M?m - Summer Make Good
The Velvet Teen - Elysium
Jesse Sykes and the Sweet Hereafter - Oh, My Girl

Singles:

Lali Puna - Micronomic
Modest Mouse - Float On (still hate the album tho)
Interpol - Evil
Air - Cherry Blossom Girl
The Velvet Teen - Chimera Obscurant
Kings of Convenience - Misread

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:09 pm

I actually disagree on the Arcade Fire ground. I really like the production on it. It has some totally sweet drum sounds (see: laika). In fact, it was recorded in the joint-owned GYBE studio by one of the drummers of Arcade Fire (they have a few). He actually happens to be a member on the TapeOp board, though I forget his name on here (he doesn't really post that much anyway).

I agree with the comment on the bass and compression. And yes, the mix could be slightly better. But concerning the mix, I honestly think it was still great. And the drum and guitar sounds they got are fantastic at times. I also really like the sound of the vocals, I don't really see where you're coming from there.

Let's see what can be done with them in a bigger studio and a producer that's not actually a band member...

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:23 pm

Album of the year though?

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:42 pm

ottokbre wrote:Album of the year though?
good point.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:29 pm

what about Brian Wilson's SMILE..that is an awesome album..does that count ?

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:05 pm

These rekkids came out this year and they are awesome:

Blonde Redhead - Misery is a Butterfly
Interpol - Antics
Ambulance Ltd. - LP
Kings of Convenience - Riot on an Empty Street
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:28 pm

the blonde redhead LP came out THIS year? i thought that was late 2003... but i guess i could be wrong. it was awesome nonetheless. awesome production.

i also dug the ambulance ltd album, but it wears thin for me after a while.

jmligt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmligt » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:04 pm

ottokbre wrote:is pop-indie music really getting more dissapointing? I am so sad to see everyones top albums of 2004. :cry:
It seems like you should be saying "Are pop-indie FANS getting more dissappointing?" Obviously, if you can find a list of albums on your own that YOU found engaging a good then "pop-indie" music is still doing fine. IMO, there will ALWAYS be good music, it's just a matter of finding it, and that's why we're all reading this board. Either we want to find good music or learn how to better record good music.

I thought "Funeral" was an amazing album, and didn't mind seeing it at the top of a few "Best of" lists. However, there were a couple of albums that made my list that I didn't see anywhere else.....I'm still a happy listener and I can't wait to see what '05 has in store...