Fostex 450

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Fostex 450

Post by wardshorsehead » Mon May 12, 2003 9:19 pm

I have a buddy putting together some gear to record with on a tight budget. He found two mixers - Both Fostex 450s, one an 8 channel, the other a 16 channel. Each is in great shape, and both are under $200. Better choice than...ominous tone...a Mackie or a Behringer? Features that seemed cool were the 4 buss architecture, and a switch on each channel to choose between either the line in, XLR in, or return from deck. It seems like the 8 channel version is really set up to be a tracking deck and mixdown board for an 8 track with a flip of a few switches. How do they sound? All the parts worked and pots seemed clean when we checked it out at the store...
Any advice would be great. He's using it as the front end of an 8trk Fostex hard disk recorder.

Thanks

Frank

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Re: Fostex 450

Post by eh91311 » Tue May 13, 2003 12:00 am

The Fostex mixers are OK. To get started, for $200 or less you won't be able to do better. Not very transparent sounding, but fine to start with. Buy the 16 channel version, for more options later. Use it and upgrade when you can. With the Fostex, avoid the really cheap outboard mic pres (ex: ART) as the Fostex preamps are about the same or better.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Tue May 13, 2003 4:30 am

I've had the 8 channel version for a pretty short amount of time but it been fine so far. The parametric eq really helps me out. I don't really have much to compare it to, but it's very simple to use and has a nice beginners feel. I can allready start to see err.. feel its flaws, but I know there is a lot more I can do with it and learn from it before it needs to be replaced. The only problem I have really had with mine is the aux buss doesn't seem to work right. It could just be me though. Oh and if your going to be moving your stuff around a lot, it's deffinatly a good choice. It's has a nice size and weight for trasportinging.

and thats all I have to say about that.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

blappo
ass engineer

Post by blappo » Tue May 13, 2003 7:27 am

I used the 16 channel version for some time and found it to be pretty workable, especially for noisy, trashy rock 'n' roll. The eqs are superior to what I have now (a Tascam) and for $200 or less, I don't think you can do much better.

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Tue May 13, 2003 5:15 pm

Thanks to everyone. I think he'll be glad to hear that it's not too awful, and won't be buying into the Behringer or Mackie camp for even more dough. I have a little soundcraft that I use for routing, and occasionally tracking as I think the pres are pretty ok. I don't (yet) have the needs for a bigger board, but now I'm thinking if he gets the 8 channel, I might pick up the 16 channel. It turns out that the 16 channel is NOS, just out of the box. Not even any shopwear. For $179 it might be a good tool to learn on. I dunno. I'll probably pass as I live in a veritable closet and the Souncraft is working fine for me...maybe get a bigger one of those when the needs arises. Any other opinions on the Fostex would be great as he is still waiting a few days and checking out other gear. As for me, I'm in no hurry as I don't really need it...

Frank