Paul Simon is kind of a twat, but...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Re: Paul Simon is kind of a twat, but...

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:42 pm

yep, yep. some of the best moments in live music IMO lol. His face is priceless.
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

Stephen B.
gettin' sounds

Post by Stephen B. » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:53 pm

Have you guys heard Brad Behldau Trio's rendition of Still Crazy After All these Years? Oh man is that some good stuff. It's on their latest record Anything Goes.
"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

C.S. Lewis

Bad Halen
gettin' sounds

Post by Bad Halen » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:14 pm

I had a friend who's mom gave us these tapes of some preacher playing Led Zepplin albums backwards, etc.

Anyway, one of the things he said was that "Bridge over Troubled waters" was a song written about heroin. The whole thing at the end about "sail on silver girl" is about a hypodermic needle....."all your dreams are on their way".

Whether or not that's true, it has made the song have a whole new meaning for me. I love songs that can go more than one way.

I wish I still had that weird tape.

Harmony Head
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Harmony Head » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:04 pm

no kidding about artie being a clown.

i played in the support band for his last australian tour. i've been an enormous S&G fan all my life and to meet one of my greatest idols was a huge buzz.....until i actally met him!

what a wanker. from what i could gather, the crew, the band and everyone else around him couldn't stand the guy. i've never met a more insecure, unfriendly person in all my life.

on the funny side. on the last gig of the tour while he was playing onstage, the guitarist and i were rubbishing him from our dressing room (200 feet away) saying all sorts of stuff ("play 50 ways to leave your lover" etc etc)
in the middle of all this i went outside to go to the bathroom and who was standing directly outside our door but artie himself!! the band had been playing an instrumental while artie went backstage to spray paint his hair or something.

very embarrasing

i feel better now
If you don't do anything wrong, you never have to worry about anything coming back to bite you on the ass...

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:14 pm

Spotty wrote:I had a friend who's mom gave us these tapes of some preacher playing Led Zepplin albums backwards, etc.

Anyway, one of the things he said was that "Bridge over Troubled waters" was a song written about heroin. The whole thing at the end about "sail on silver girl" is about a hypodermic needle....."all your dreams are on their way".

Whether or not that's true, it has made the song have a whole new meaning for me. I love songs that can go more than one way.

I wish I still had that weird tape.
I may be able to track that tape down--I know the one you're talking about. The heroin thing was in a book I read once, as well.
Harmony Head wrote:i've never met a more insecure, unfriendly person in all my life.
It's funny, an old friend from high school sang backup on a Kenny Rogers tour and he said the exact same thing about Kenny Rogers.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:20 pm

Supposedly "sail on silver girl" is actually abouta few grey hairs that Simon's then wife Peggy had recently discovered, it was a little joke that he threw in as a dummy line and it stuck.

So, to bring this back to recording, anybody have any insight on how they recorded those gorgeous acoustic guitar sounds? I mean, a great guitarist, Roy Halee and Columbia's studios certainly didn't hurt, but anybody know what kind of mics and/or compressors they were using?

tomhampton
gettin' sounds

Post by tomhampton » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:54 pm

i apologize in advance for possibly veering this thread off track, but i gotta say it anyway....

one of the things i love about this board is that there are people here who aren't afraid to speak their minds about what they love, whether it's cool/hip/trendy or not. when i hit this forum and saw that there were 4 pages on a thread about paul simon, i figured it was one comment about him being somewhat talented, and 3.9 pages of "what the fuck are you thinking" replies.

you guys are all ok with me.

is it ok, though, if i like paul simon AND marillion?

T
http://www.tomhampton.com

guitar, lap and pedal steel, mandolin, dobro, banjo, other various oddities and harmony slut

dirty
steve albini likes it

Post by dirty » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:58 pm

No.

dirty
steve albini likes it

Post by dirty » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:58 pm

:D

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:30 pm

tomhampton wrote:
is it ok, though, if i like paul simon AND marillion?
I do, so as far as I'm concerned, yes!

In fact, I'm listening to Marillion right this very second.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

Lee Knight

Post by Lee Knight » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:48 am

hammertime wrote:As good as a songwriter as he is -- you just can't get over the fact that the guy is a little weenie. He's made his whole career basically ripping people off, and being kind of crafty about it. Starting with the Everly Brothers when he and Garfunkel were teenagers, then Dylan and Irish folk music, then African Zulus -- the guy doesn't have an original bone in his body.
:?:

This stuff makes me crazy. At least you've got the references correct... Did you hate the way...

The Beatles ripped off Little Richard?
The Stones ripped off the blues in general?
Brian Wilson ripped off The Four Freshmen?
Led Zep ripped off Willie Dixon?
Rod Argent ripped off Jimmie Smith?
Coltrane ripped off Parker?
Beethoven ripped off Bach?
The Sex Pistols ripped off The Ramones?
Bob Dylan ripped off Woody Guthrie?
Rod Stewart ripped off Sam Cooke?
??????
?????
????
???
??
?

The thing that really gets me is when Paul Simon did that version of Bye Bye Love. I'm mean, did he really think we wouldn't know that was an Everly Bros. song. What a rip off artist!

Foot Foot
audio school graduate

Post by Foot Foot » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:40 am

Lee Knight wrote:
hammertime wrote:As good as a songwriter as he is -- you just can't get over the fact that the guy is a little weenie. He's made his whole career basically ripping people off, and being kind of crafty about it. Starting with the Everly Brothers when he and Garfunkel were teenagers, then Dylan and Irish folk music, then African Zulus -- the guy doesn't have an original bone in his body.
:?:

This stuff makes me crazy. At least you've got the references correct... Did you hate the way...

The Beatles ripped off Little Richard?
The Stones ripped off the blues in general?
Brian Wilson ripped off The Four Freshmen?
Led Zep ripped off Willie Dixon?
Rod Argent ripped off Jimmie Smith?
Coltrane ripped off Parker?
Beethoven ripped off Bach?
The Sex Pistols ripped off The Ramones?
Bob Dylan ripped off Woody Guthrie?
Rod Stewart ripped off Sam Cooke?
??????
?????
????
???
??
?

The thing that really gets me is when Paul Simon did that version of Bye Bye Love. I'm mean, did he really think we wouldn't know that was an Everly Bros. song. What a rip off artist!
I go both ways on Paul Simon, he has moments of brilliance and moments of beeing a weenie. But I have to say that I sometimes fell he does kind of rip artists off perioodically. Just the other day I was watching a DVD called "Roots, Rock, Reggae" a documentary on the Jamaican music scene in 1975. Well in the movie there is a clip with Joe Higgs and he sings one of songs. Wouldn't you know the first melody that comes out of his mouth is the exact same phrasing and melody as the opening line to "mother and child reunion". Everyone noticed. By the way, Mother and child reunion was recorded in Kingston, Jamaica.
I'm just sayin'..........
Cheap, Fast, and Dirty

Lee Knight

Post by Lee Knight » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:50 am

I don't think Paul Simon has ever tried to hide the fact that he uses other music to create his own. To call it thievery seems a little short sighted, that's all. I'm no great "Paul Simon Advocate", believe me, but he's NOT a rip off artist. He may not play by the rules when it comes to "inspiration", I suppose, but he is a very creative guy. Incorporating other's music into his own.

Hey, let yer honesty shine, shine, shine, shine
Doh-n-de, doh-n-de, doh-n-de, doh
Here I am...

The only living boy in New York

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:44 am

Right on, Lee. Especially when you consider that the Stones and Zeppelin went so far as to record old blues songs and claim authorship of them, Paul Simon can hardly be the worst offender in the "rip-off artist" camp.

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:55 am

My favorite is "My Little Town" off Still Crazy After All These Years. Distinctly American.
I don't think Paul Simon has ever tried to hide the fact that he uses other music to create his own
Did anyone here his version of Surfer Girl at the Radio City Brian Wilson tribute? Amazing. He totally re-worked the song beautifully.