No more gigaherz power increases?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

No more gigaherz power increases?

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:44 am

We?re at 3.4GHz already?surely 4GHz can?t be far away? Alas, even 4GHz seems to be remote indeed. In mid-2004, as you probably know, Intel first delayed its planned introduction of a 4GHz chip until 2005, and then in fall 2004 it officially abandoned its 4GHz plans entirely.

From the looks of it, we aren't going to be seeing those 'gigaherz' increase in our computer power any more....

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Re: No more gigaherz power increases?

Post by apropos of nothing » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:12 am

You know, I dunno. I remember hearing similar rumblings just before Pentiums came out.

Using current fabrication tech, yeah, probably not.

Remember also though that just a couple few years ago it was much more expensive to make a diamond than to dig it up. Now the situation has reversed. Materials science is pretty crazy stuff, and I kinda suspect that (presuming the world economy doesn't meltdown completely) we're likely to see some pretty insane advances with the way that chip-manufacturers, research institutes and gummnts are throwing money at the problem.

phait
takin' a dinner break

Post by phait » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:56 am

I'd be happy if they fucking stop at 4Ghz, 4EVER.

high tek
takin' a dinner break

Post by high tek » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:36 am

phait wrote:I'd be happy if they fucking stop at 4Ghz, 4EVER.
yea right.

the bit depth will keep increasing, also i think theres a wave of multiprocessor era looming our way - where machines that sport 4, 8, 16 etc.. processros will be that new thing.

but then again who knows, its hard to predict technology when it stems from itself. (like trying to predict the internet with no computers invented yet)

high tek
takin' a dinner break

Post by high tek » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:49 am

sserendipity, that TC guy in your avatar might very well be the absolute most annoying fool ive ever seen/heard.....

i saw some of the powercore demos on the TC website, and i actually think that because of that guy im starting to question the company.

i mean, what in the world possesed them (TC) to hire this annoying dumbfuck that acts like he just did huge rails of blow?
hes actually making the company look like a joke

whoever is interested check it:
http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=3845

together with that god-awul music (that he must have made) doesnt this make you want to punch him in the face?