Omni Phase and Confusion

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Omni Phase and Confusion

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:32 pm

Please help me understand Omni mics and phase.

I have been using a pair of KSM 141s as omnis. For room sounds I walk around while the band is playing find a spot that sounds cool and stick the mic there.

I don't have polarity reverse on my board, so I have pretty much been living with the end (phase) results.

Does the omni pattern make these mics respond to phase issues differntly than other directional mics?

If I had a drum set w/ various mics on the top heads a kick and 2 overheads, and I put a omni on the floor behind the throne will it more than likely need a flip?

Any phase related omni mic info would help. :^: thanks
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Re: Omni Phase and Confusion

Post by jajjguy » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:56 pm

wintershed wrote:Does the omni pattern make these mics respond to phase issues differntly than other directional mics?
No. Phase issues (as relate to multi-micing) are all about distance of the different mics to the source. Directional pattern has nothing to do with it.

That said, some directional mics have a funky off-axis response such that bleed from a source off to the side of a cardioid mic (for example) could sound "phasey". But this is a different use of the word and a different issue. I mention it only because, in some ways, omnis are easier to deal with in a multi-mic setup because there's no (or very little) off-axis coloration, so the bleed stands a better chance of sounding pretty good.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:14 pm

wintershed wrote: I don't have polarity reverse on my board, so I have pretty much been living with the end (phase) results.
Have you considered making a polarity reversing cable?

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:26 pm

Phiz wrote:
wintershed wrote: I don't have polarity reverse on my board, so I have pretty much been living with the end (phase) results.
Have you considered making a polarity reversing cable?
I'd just buy a bunch of small DPDT switches at the local electronics store and install polarity switches. I did that to my Altec 1567a and a little Behringer ?bermixer I bought to listen to mics in my phones while I am placing them in the tracking room.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:32 pm

What and drill holes into my vintage Mackie 24/8!? :roll:
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."