Owen Morris, Pompaus !#$* & or Brilliant?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
BJohnston
ass engineer

Owen Morris, Pompaus !#$* & or Brilliant?

Post by BJohnston » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:54 pm

I had some Christmas cash to burn and decided to pick the making of Definitely Maybe DVD. I thought it would be a cool thing to check out. Get the scoop on how it was done. Anyway they do an interview with Owen Morris who says that he was the first to compress individual channels and the overall mix to make really loud records. I thought to myself "he can't be saying this right now". Maybe it was a British sarcasm thing that I didn't quite get. I'm not a fan of his mix's. To me they're really muddy, but that's beside the point. HE ACTUALLY SAID HE WAS THE FIRST TO EVER COMPRESS MIX'S LIKE THAT!!! Did anyone else see that DVD?

BJohnston

red cross
buyin' gear

Re: Owen Morris, Pompaus !#$* & or Brilliant?

Post by red cross » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:14 am

He always struck me as one of those 'flavour of the month' guys, like Alan Moulder was a few years before him. That said, I like Definitely Maybe because of its flaws. A great raw sounding rock n roll record. Once they started doing that amplified busking thing with cheese-ass string quartet arrangements thrown on top, it all started going downhill.

Uncle Dub
ass engineer

Post by Uncle Dub » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:08 am

votemiles wrote:He always struck me as one of those 'flavour of the month' guys, like Alan Moulder was a few years before him. That said, I like Definitely Maybe because of its flaws. A great raw sounding rock n roll record. Once they started doing that amplified busking thing with cheese-ass string quartet arrangements thrown on top, it all started going downhill.
Far as I know Moulder is still gainfully employed, he's married to Toni Halliday of Curve, and you pick up bits and pieces with her bemoaning the loss of her husband to Trent Reznor and other of that ilk.

What I want to know is what happened to Flood? I loved that stuff.

Speaking as a brit, who hasn't seen said DVD there's a 50/50 chance it was either sarcasm, or huge ego.

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:21 am

lousy_bassist wrote: Far as I know Moulder is still gainfully employed, he's married to Toni Halliday of Curve, and you pick up bits and pieces with her bemoaning the loss of her husband to Trent Reznor and other of that ilk.
If I was married to Toni Haliday, you'd never see me leaving the house to go anywhere.

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Post by Kyle Motor » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:24 am

Semi-on-topic, I agree his mixes are pretty muddy and smooshed, but I really dig what he did on Ash's records, most of their songs seem to work really well with that sound.

Uncle Dub
ass engineer

Post by Uncle Dub » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:56 am

the brill bedroom wrote:If I was married to Toni Haliday, you'd never see me leaving the house to go anywhere.
Please do not get me started.

BJohnston
ass engineer

Post by BJohnston » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:05 pm

I agree he's done some decent records. The Hiss' record (from Atlanta,GA) that he did is great.

B[/img][/quote]

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:36 pm

lousy_bassist wrote: What I want to know is what happened to Flood? I loved that stuff.
All over the latest U2.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.