Ever gone to work screwed up?

lastpicked4kickball
alignin' 24-trk

Ever gone to work screwed up?

Post by lastpicked4kickball » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:55 pm

I have done this a few times, I mentioned once when I worked in a Seattle resturant that shall be nameless for the time being, when I drank a beerful of cubenzies that some guy was slipping into peoples drinks at a party I was at late in the evening before, and I had to go to work some 3 hours later. The beer was one thing, I could have worked a shift with only a couple of PBR's in me, but the organa's I couldn't handle very well. Hard to wait tables like that.
Just trying to get through life without looking stupid! Not workin' out so far for me...

cassettefetish
steve albini likes it

Re: Ever gone to work screwed up?

Post by cassettefetish » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:04 pm

ha ha!! good story...

I used to work at a place that rhymes with Mizza Mut (like... ages ago...) and we discovered that walk-in freezers circulate smokey air REALLY quickly...

nothing hard though... shrooms once... just a few.... when I worked at a credit card company... "ma'am, I am not able to pull your file up right now... it keeps MOVING!!! you should see it..." (it was a weekend... so no call monitoring...)

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:05 pm

lastpicked4kickball wrote:I have done this a few times, I mentioned once when I worked in a Seattle resturant that shall be nameless for the time being, when I drank a beerful of cubenzies that some guy was slipping into peoples drinks at a party I was at late in the evening before, and I had to go to work some 3 hours later. The beer was one thing, I could have worked a shift with only a couple of PBR's in me, but the organa's I couldn't handle very well. Hard to wait tables like that.
I used to wait tables at the Union Bay Cafe, 5 star restaurant in Seattle...yeah, I'm being shameless by naming the establishment. Anyway, I hated working there. So, screw them. Anyway, before leaving my home to work my last wonderful shift there, I drank some cubenzie/red bull/tea shit. I think it was the most fun I've ever had at any job...EVER (except maybe when I was a wine buyer on the eastside...wooooo, hic). Fun stuff. Anyhow, at the restaurant I remember bringing this tray of about 12 glasses of champagne to this dinner party...and dropping the entire tray right in front of the dinner party. :shock: And as they stared on in shock I couldn't control my fits of laughter. It makes me laugh even now. And I did manage to finish my entire shift. And, yes, it is hard to take orders when you're fucked up.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:08 pm

Oh man, don't get me started. I smoke basically every day before work, go home at lunch for "re-fueling". I've been to work drunk more times than I care to recall, not recently though. Sinco De Mayo 2003, myself and two of the repair techs went to a white person's mexican restaurant for lunch and downed at least a liter of margaritas each in under an hour, then our boss called one guy's cell phone wondering where we were, so we went back to work piss drunk, don't really remember much of that afternoon.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

lastpicked4kickball
alignin' 24-trk

Post by lastpicked4kickball » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:12 pm

Allright since we're being all open and stuff. I worked at the Hurricane Cafe' in 96' (not quite a 5 star reputation, and it was almost acceptable behavior now that I think about it). The biggest scene was when I had grown a fear from being in the front of the house. It was to open and so many people. So I would walk out one side of the swinging doors and walk almost immediately into the other after spending a few moments of shock when I saw how full my section began. It took me about 10 minutes to muster up the courage to take an actual order instead of just filling coffee's and sodas. When I finally did, it was impossible to understand what people were saying because my mind was racing with unique thoughts and images of discovery that led to me almost spitting on a group of Goth kids from laughing so hard , and telling them that I needed some me time. My manager found out, but didn't seem to be to bothered by it, just frustrated that he couldn't calm me down.
Just trying to get through life without looking stupid! Not workin' out so far for me...

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:19 pm

lastpicked4kickball wrote:Allright since we're being all open and stuff. I worked at the Hurricane Cafe' in 96' (not quite a 5 star reputation, and it was almost acceptable behavior now that I think about it). The biggest scene was when I had grown a fear from being in the front of the house. It was to open and so many people. So I would walk out one side of the swinging doors and walk almost immediately into the other after spending a few moments of shock when I saw how full my section began. It took me about 10 minutes to muster up the courage to take an actual order instead of just filling coffee's and sodas. When I finally did, it was impossible to understand what people were saying because my mind was racing with unique thoughts and images of discovery that led to me almost spitting on a group of Goth kids from laughing so hard , and telling them that I needed some me time. My manager found out, but didn't seem to be to bothered by it, just frustrated that he couldn't calm me down.
HA! The wonderful Hurricane. I've been there several times - mostly on hungover mornings (afternoons, actually) when I needed some greasy-grease food to coat my stomache. I used to go there back in 95-96ish 'cause I lived not too far away, near Freemont. It's conveniently located on the busline.

lastpicked4kickball
alignin' 24-trk

Post by lastpicked4kickball » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:21 pm

You probably had me (and I don't mean "HAD ME" persay) as a waiter, stinking of boiler makers and nag champa! :shock:

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:22 pm

lastpicked4kickball wrote:Allright since we're being all open and stuff. I worked at the Hurricane Cafe' in 96' (not quite a 5 star reputation, and it was almost acceptable behavior now that I think about it). The biggest scene was when I had grown a fear from being in the front of the house. It was to open and so many people. So I would walk out one side of the swinging doors and walk almost immediately into the other after spending a few moments of shock when I saw how full my section began. It took me about 10 minutes to muster up the courage to take an actual order instead of just filling coffee's and sodas. When I finally did, it was impossible to understand what people were saying because my mind was racing with unique thoughts and images of discovery that led to me almost spitting on a group of Goth kids from laughing so hard , and telling them that I needed some me time. My manager found out, but didn't seem to be to bothered by it, just frustrated that he couldn't calm me down.
dude, its a requirement at the Hurricane that you get fucked up before your shift.

Been in that place twice, found out the second time that the beer is much safer to consume than the food... the food is shit.

lastpicked4kickball
alignin' 24-trk

Post by lastpicked4kickball » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:24 pm

I smoked a lot when I worked there, drank like a fish. But the magic organic did me in that day.

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:24 pm

i struck out on my own and moved to a rural town in missourri when i was 18. for a while i worked at some shitty itallian fast food place where i'd smoke in the employee bathroom during my break. funny part about it was one of my co-workers was on to me and spent a lot of time trying to convince me to live more piously and follow christ like he had chosen to. it boiled down to me saying "well i just don't think that's for me," and he'd respond, "look buddy, you can have it your way but i'm just trying to save you here." he was racist but also into punk and metal. i gave him a copy of bad brains' "rock for light" for his birthday and he ate it up. fuckwad.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:29 pm

Any of you ever been screen printers?
thats a job where you gotta be stoned, either to deal with the monotany or your co-worker's shitty taste in music when its their turn on the shop's stereo.

i screen printed on and off for 3-4 years, i was drunk or high, or at least a buzz off of something most of the time.

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:33 pm

No, but I'm sure it would help.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:35 pm

trodden wrote:
dude, its a requirement at the Hurricane that you get fucked up before your shift.

Been in that place twice, found out the second time that the beer is much safer to consume than the food... the food is shit.
I think it's probably that way at most places in the service industry, no matter what kind of place it is. At that place where I used to work, which shall now remain nameless, :) the head chef rode the crazy horse.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:38 pm

iwokojance wrote:
trodden wrote:

I think it's probably that way at most places in the service industry, no matter what kind of place it is. At that place where I used to work, which shall now remain nameless, :) the head chef rode the crazy horse.
true...
my time at the bad ju ju and jack's road house, plenty of breaks to the walkin for either a drink or a smoke...

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:03 pm

showing up drunk to the chemistry lab, seems like a bad idea but I never lost an eye or anything.

I would smoke on my lunch breaks at one chemistry job. Nobody complained to me the day I spent 2 hours making a 2 octave xylophone out of beakers.
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols