Ever gone to work screwed up?

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Re: Ever gone to work screwed up?

Post by Ivon » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:37 pm

psychicoctopus wrote:showing up drunk to the chemistry lab, seems like a bad idea but I never lost an eye or anything.

I would smoke on my lunch breaks at one chemistry job. Nobody complained to me the day I spent 2 hours making a 2 octave xylophone out of beakers.
:) That's pretty funny. Hey, you were showing your creativity by using the scientific method of analysis.

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:11 pm

not at my current job... but let's see, i've been a dishwasher/prep cook. definitely. a delivery driver for a sub shop. most definitely. starbucks? most mo-fuckin definitely. waiting tables... sometimes. i found it didn't help my short-term memory... go figure!

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:25 pm

andyg666 wrote:not at my current job... but let's see, i've been a dishwasher/prep cook. definitely. a delivery driver for a sub shop. most definitely. starbucks? most mo-fuckin definitely. waiting tables... sometimes. i found it didn't help my short-term memory... go figure!
You worked at Starbucks? I used to work there too...man, I fucking hated working there. The one good thing is that I got medical insurance and only worked part time. And since I didn't give a shit about the job, I screwed around a lot...as did my co-workers. Okay...I didn't completely hate it...I had fun with my co-workers. I just hated all the lame high-maintenance drinks people wanted. A godamned single tall 2% sugar free vanilla latte with no foam please, and make that 180 degrees...oh, can you double-cup it too?...oh, wait...have you added the milk yet?...cool, I like changed my mind and would like it half 2% and half soy. Can you do that? Thanks.

Fuck that! What's wrong with a good old cup of coffee or an Americano???!! I've never met so many bitchy addicts congegrated in one small shit hole shop in my life.

Ah....that feels better.

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:29 pm

iwokojance wrote: Fuck that! What's wrong with a good old cup of coffee or an Americano???!! I've never met so many bitchy addicts congegrated in one small shit hole shop in my life.

Thats awesome, im gonna have to use that quote somewhere. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:46 am

Me and this kid I used to do temporary shit fucking wanky-woo anything-the-agent's-got-we'll-take kind of work. What sorry. Lemme start again. We used to work at this factory and he gave me a lift in this fucked old beetle. and he was a real wake 'n' bake merchant, so there was always at least 2 doobies down by the time we clocked in. Fuck. Not how I'd ideally like to start the day but whatever. So we were moving these stacks of sacks around on those pallet lifts and this one fucker was really heavy and I couldn't shift it at all, so some people got behind and pushed. Suddenly the fucking whole stack moved and the small trolley wheels rode up onto my foot. Hot shit. I went grey and sweaty and it felt like one of my toes had come off. I swear. So I was lying on this heap of sacks cursing the fact that I was stoned out of my fucking mind. I didn't dare take my sock cos I thought a toe was loose in side it. But this boss woman cruised over and took it off - anyway, there was no toe severed, thank fuck. And she gave me this drink - I have no clue wtf was in it, if anything. But after a couple of swigs I was totally fine again, and we went outside to skin another blunt up.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:20 am

Gone in slightly drunk a couple of times. Did a wake and bake a few times when I was really hungover and figured, well I can either go in hungover or high, and being high beats puking all day. It's pretty okay once you make it to your desk, but people want to stop you for chitty chat and it's like 'don't look at my eyes, don't look at my eyes.'

Was written up once for being hungover. Had to sign a "record of conversation." That was bullshit. I coulda just called in sick but I was like 'yeah, I fucked up, I'll deal with it,' and I end up getting written up. There's justice for ya.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:04 am

psychicoctopus wrote:showing up drunk to the chemistry lab, seems like a bad idea but I never lost an eye or anything.

I would smoke on my lunch breaks at one chemistry job. Nobody complained to me the day I spent 2 hours making a 2 octave xylophone out of beakers.
Awesome. Did they let you take it home?

My er...friend did speed once in the break before an english lesson and spent the whole double period in and out of the class, excusing himself to go to the toilet every five to ten minutes, found it pretty hard to stay still, and he's easily distracted anyway. Another time it was a gym/PE class, he thought it would make an interesting lesson, but forgot his kit and spent the whole time on a bench, luckily with a friend who was on shrooms. They were both a little paranoid about it so it took about an hour of trying to be normal around eachother before they both confessed (not to the teacher, obviously).
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:54 am

I've yet to meet a group of people who party more professionally than scientists.

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:08 am

iwokojance wrote:
andyg666 wrote:not at my current job... but let's see, i've been a dishwasher/prep cook. definitely. a delivery driver for a sub shop. most definitely. starbucks? most mo-fuckin definitely. waiting tables... sometimes. i found it didn't help my short-term memory... go figure!
You worked at Starbucks? I used to work there too...man, I fucking hated working there. The one good thing is that I got medical insurance and only worked part time. And since I didn't give a shit about the job, I screwed around a lot...as did my co-workers. Okay...I didn't completely hate it...I had fun with my co-workers. I just hated all the lame high-maintenance drinks people wanted. A godamned single tall 2% sugar free vanilla latte with no foam please, and make that 180 degrees...oh, can you double-cup it too?...oh, wait...have you added the milk yet?...cool, I like changed my mind and would like it half 2% and half soy. Can you do that? Thanks.

Fuck that! What's wrong with a good old cup of coffee or an Americano???!! I've never met so many bitchy addicts congegrated in one small shit hole shop in my life.

Ah....that feels better.

Wow, I only ever order the ones on the board, I must be real unassertive or something.

Actually, I think it's just that we Irish aren't used to coffeshop protocol. Or coffee. Did you know there are no Starbucks in Ireland? It's great. Unfortunately, I read an article saying that they're buying up properties all over the country and they're gonna unleash them all during 2005. We're gonna wake up one morning and go from having no Starbucks to over 30.

Oh well.
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:20 am

30 in the country is ok..thers like 30 on my street alone..dont throw water on them or feed them after midnight..

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:56 am

At my last lab job, I would get rediculously stoned before work. It was awesome, until an HR lady was in her car (parked in front of mine) while I was smoking pot in my car. She totally saw me and had "talk" with me about taking my job seriously. It was really lame.

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:11 am

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:30 in the country is ok..thers like 30 on my street alone..dont throw water on them or feed them after midnight..
It's a small country BoB, with few major cities. Like there being 30 Starbucks in Vermont.

There's probably more than 30 starbucks in Vermont, must see if I can find that out.
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:41 am

Wow, I only ever order the ones on the board, I must be real unassertive or something.

Actually, I think it's just that we Irish aren't used to coffeshop protocol. Or coffee. Did you know there are no Starbucks in Ireland? It's great. Unfortunately, I read an article saying that they're buying up properties all over the country and they're gonna unleash them all during 2005. We're gonna wake up one morning and go from having no Starbucks to over 30.

Oh well.
Seattle is nuts with the coffee shops man - and a lot of people are off the hook with the drinks they order. There's this comany called Tully's that started using Starbucks' growth strategy several years ago - and directly competes with them. For example, if you don't want a Frappiccino from Starbucks, you can pretty much walk across the street and get a Swirkle instead. Tully's purposely builds near Starbuck's in order to glean some of the marks. But, if you don't want "fast food" coffee, thankfully, there are loads of other locally owned shops that make WAY better coffee...and have a nicer sitting atmosphere if you want to hang. Watchout Ireland...heaven help you. You may eventually have Tully's too.

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:05 am

iwokojance wrote:

Ah....that feels better.
Yeah. I worked at coffee shops on an off for about 4 years. People are fucking stupid about their coffee.

I got really pissed at Starbucks and their stupid "Carmel Macchiato" drinks. I actually wrote them a letter. I'd make people an actual macchiato and they'd look at me like I was nuts. You ordered a macchiato. If you want a disgusting, overpriced sugar bomb that some asshole marketing genius decided to call a "macchiato", then go to Starbucks. Here's your doppio with a lil' foam. Now go away.

My favorite incident was this super-anal woman who tried to get me fired for knocking the pitcher to get the foam the right consistency. She claimed it was "ruining" the foam. Hey - make your own fuckin' coffee if you're that particular or go somewhere else that will cater to your ridiculous needs.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:11 am

mjau wrote:

I've yet to meet a group of people who party more professionally than scientists.
Totally,
I just got an email from an old friend whose a herpatologist and he was mentioning how the University he's working for is great and all and how he and all the other scientists and such go out drinking all the time and how they drink in the lab all day on Friday and such... Having known this friend of mine since 7th grade, the mental picture of him being drunk with white lab coat on, while examining tadpoles really make me smile, basically, he's doing what he's always done since i've known him but getting paid for it. I hope he really has a white lab coat!