(Whatever works) Equipment you love but evreyone else hates.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: (Whatever works) Equipment you love but evreyone else ha

Post by Rigsby » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:12 am

Yeah, another vote for minidisc here too, they're great for found sounds especially.

It's funny, i was recording cars going past this main road a few months ago with an MS907 mic outstretched in my hand and all the cars started slowing down as they passed me. I guess they thought i was logging speeds or something. How we chuckled.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

aworryingthing
audio school graduate

Post by aworryingthing » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:30 am

C-1000 off-axis can get you good results on most vocals (male/female) and acoustic guitars (bridge, 30-45 degrees from the body). it's decent on hi-hats. but as overheads: ouch!

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:37 am

Ouch?

If you're recording hard hitters then C1000s probably are too bright for OHs, but for the lighter touch that brighter side allows you to hear the detail on the cymbals IMO.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

sonic documentation
gettin' sounds

Post by sonic documentation » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:11 am

I know everyones going to hate me for this one... I like those Alesis 3630s. I'll admit that they aren't amazing compressors. Not even close to amazing, but I use them frequently. I have found that I like the sound of the compression that they make. The problem with them is that A: Unbalanced. B: Noisy (very). C: The noise gate is horrible. But with all of this said, I find them useful for certain things. And for under $100, it's quite appealing.

Daniel

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:35 am

sonic documentation wrote:I know everyones going to hate me for this one... I like those Alesis 3630s. I'll admit that they aren't amazing compressors. Not even close to amazing, but I use them frequently. I have found that I like the sound of the compression that they make. The problem with them is that A: Unbalanced. B: Noisy (very). C: The noise gate is horrible. But with all of this said, I find them useful for certain things. And for under $100, it's quite appealing.

Daniel
YEAH! I love these too for a specific purpose. #1 thing I like these for is buss compression on drums. Just squashing the shit out it and blending it with the original signal, for this app. alone I love these. What is also so cool about these is the visuals, the LEDs are very accurate for stereo compression. i would like to check out the Black lion mod. Forgot or didn't realize they were unbalanced, but mine seems quite enough for rock n' roll

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:43 am

LittleDogAudio wrote:Maybe not quite on topic, but I used to use AKG 535's as drum overs and loved them. Also, they were pretty nice on acoustic guitar.

The 535 is marketed as a live condenser vocal mic, but I say, if it sounds good, eat it.

Chris
535 is my go to for electric guitar. translates what you hear in the room to tape great. Just use it like a 57.

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:56 am

I love my Focusrite Octapre.....8 channels of preamplification and brick wall limiting.

This piece (and the rest of the Platinum line) perpetually gets slammed on this board.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:01 pm

dr. sample
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:22 pm

ART pro MPA good for its realy purpose, great for distortion...

Mindprint T-Comp a ery cool and useful tool. Can do some great tricks too.

sendr
audio school graduate

Post by sendr » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:55 pm

My guitar amp doesn't have reverb, so I've been using a nanoverb I wired with a stomp switch in my pedal line for years. Just love the thing. Fuckin' Alesis.

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:12 pm

I don't know if you guys've ever heard of a microphone called the Sure SM57, but those things are great on almost everything. Check it out...they come up on eBay sometimes.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

thereminman
takin' a dinner break

Post by thereminman » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:02 pm

yeah, I've chimed in for the CS1000 every time a "CS1000s Suck" thread comes up.
I wouldn't use them for everything. But for a lot of small acoustic instruments, it seems easy to get a useable sound.
Acoustic guitars, bongos, percussion----I put it up, and it works, and it works in the mix (to me, at least).

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:19 pm

Seems like all the stuff I used to think was "wacky" got "cool" like the level loc and the spectra sonics 610 complimiter... The eefectron II..
Nobody would touch those things even as recently as 1996, but now they are sought after. So funny....

Um, lets see:

Electrix MoFx is awesome, and people seem to laugh at the "DJ thing in the rack." Whatever. Love it. Distorted grainy LFO'd flanged tremelo'd delay? Got it for ya, all in that box. Amazing. You can lock the LFO for the flange and the trem and then distort it and delay it. What ISNT cool about this box? You can even choose to delay the highs mids or lows!!?!?!? awesome.A classic IMO. Weirdo and classic.

The DBX 120 sub synth. Rules if you trick it right.

The zoom 1201 "studio" multi FX thingy. That thing does so many shitty/awesome/lo-fi FX it is amazing, and that is just the reverb patches! ;)
I really do love that thing.

The compueffectron. Awesome. Recallable effectron sounds. A little grainier (is that possible?) than the effectron II.

The symetrix CL150. I use this on almost every single rock session. The original "distressor" even if they didnt mean to do it, they came up with a single space compressor/limiter that distorts and freaks out and is never normal or linear, and it is AWESOME. I want a few more of these, so if you want to sell one....

That is the stuff I will admit to, until I collect a few more of the things I have been loving lately.

I would like to try one of the microlimiters, Slider.... If they arent going for 600 dollars after this thread is read by everyone. They are gonna use your quote in an ad ;)

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:19 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:The zoom 1201 "studio" multi FX thingy. That thing does so many shitty/awesome/lo-fi FX it is amazing, and that is just the reverb patches! ;)
I really do love that thing.
Absolutely agree. I bought one when they first came out and loved it so much that I went back and bought a second one! The auto-wah and the vocal distortion patches are great on all kinds of stuff.
Joel Hamilton wrote:I would like to try one of the microlimiters, Slider.... If they arent going for 600 dollars after this thread is read by everyone. They are gonna use your quote in an ad ;)
Also agree on microlimiters. Another great Squash-Box is the Fostex MN-50, It's a little 4-channel line + 1 Mic mixer with a built in compressor that has only an on/off and a release control. It'll squish the shit out of a drum buss. Very fun.

I know people don't really hate 'em, but I also love dbx 163Xs. Just give me "MORE".

Oh, and the AKG D1000E - great mic on guitar amps. Kicks 57 ass.
Last edited by rhythm ranch on Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hank hill
pluggin' in mics

Post by hank hill » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:43 pm

After today's post abotu them, I guess I am going to have to say "MoreMe" headphones. Seems like nobody likes them except me.