Cheap Cans: MoreMe's or HD202's?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
analogcabin
buyin' gear

Cheap Cans: MoreMe's or HD202's?

Post by analogcabin » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:15 am

I need 5 pair or so of cheap but useable headphones for tracking. Has anyone here used the MoreMe's
http://www.itrstudio.com/moreme.html
and/or the BSW 5 pack Sennheiser HD202's
http://www.bswusa.com/prod_item.asp?item=HD202PKG

Opinions?

Many Thanks...............

surf's up
pushin' record

Re: Cheap Cans: MoreMe's or HD202's?

Post by surf's up » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:12 am

Just got a pair of MoreMe's cus Ive heard good things and theyre very cheap. The cord isnt very long and they're a bit uncomfortable, but they're good for tracking. You should probably buy one pair, see how you like it then get the rest if it works out. Theyre dirt cheap.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:22 am

I bought a pair of MoreMe/s, sent them back. I later bought 5 Sennheiser HD202's, there's no comparison sound-wise. The MoreMe's will probably withstand more abuse but the sound is crap.

hank hill
pluggin' in mics

Post by hank hill » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:45 am

I like the MoreMe's. The sound, to me, is plenty good enough for tracking. They get loud enough to track with drums without distorting or getting too thin. I even use them in the vocal booth, although depending on the person I switch out to something better. They seem comfortable to me. Personally I like them somwhat bulky (I love my early 1970s Sansui headphones hahaha). I've never had anyone complain about the sound or comfort.

Most of the time when I hand people my MoreMe headphones they freak out (in a good way) because they do look "pretty cool" and they aren't something they see everyday at Guitar Center or what not. I think its a mental thing but alot of times they say something like "wow i bet these are expensive" and then actually compliment the sound.

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:14 am

the sennheisers blow away the more mes in sound quality, durability, and comfort. a no brainer in my opinion. . .

blunderfonics
pushin' record

Post by blunderfonics » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:30 am

Has anyone tried the cheap Behringer headphones (HPS3000 & HPX2000)? They are in the same price range as the models mentioned here but look like they are built a little better. I'm not expecting much in the way of sound quality in this price range but I gotta wonder if they are totally awful. If not they might be a good alternative to the MoreMe's and HD202's.

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:52 am

I like my Behringer HPS3000's. They've held up for me and the (very) few bands that I've recorded, but I can't speak to their strength under every day usage conditions (with the occasional neanderthal). At $20, I don't have much to lose.

Soundwise...well I wouldn't mix with them, but I have had someone ask me to make the mix sound more like it did in the phones. I won't go there.

I'd get a couple of different sets of phones. Different heads like different headphones.

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:12 am

I gotta give the MoreMe Deluxe model a big thumbs down. Regardless of how they sound, they are the most uncomfortable headphones I've experienced. The earpads are made out of stiff vinyl with exposed seams. And they would not stay on my head because the earpiece adjustment system didn't work. So, I put them on, and 1 minute later, they're falling off with a swatch of my hair attached. Awful.
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

blunderfonics
pushin' record

Post by blunderfonics » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:54 am

lsn110 wrote:I like my Behringer HPS3000's....
Thanks for the info. Thats good to know.

Have you tracked with them (i.e. been listening to a foldback mix on the cans while standing in the room with a drummer or loud amp)? Are they loud enough to compete?

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:16 pm

justinf wrote:the sennheisers blow away the more mes in sound quality, durability, and comfort. a no brainer in my opinion. . .
How's the isolation (bleed) from the HD202's?

Harvey Gerst
ass engineer

Post by Harvey Gerst » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:56 am

You can always buy a pair of MoreMe's, try them for 30 days, and return them for a full refund if you don't like 'em, no questions asked. There are now several thousand people out there that bought them and like them.

They aren't for everybody. A lot of people like them; some people hate them.
Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.itrstudio.com/

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:50 am

the moreme's have a great sound, and the stereo/mono switch is worth the price of admission. but those are uncomfortable motherhumpers.

Maybe I'll come up with a mod...

Harvey Gerst
ass engineer

Post by Harvey Gerst » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:52 am

If you want isolation, they gotta fit pretty tight. You can loosen them by fucking with the wire earpiece holders.
Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.itrstudio.com/

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:10 pm

I haven't heard the Sennheisers but I do have 4 sets of the MoreMe Deluxes. They do what they do. The don't break and make some loud freaking noise if you want. I don't care about punk bands getting a little wild. They've been dropped, thrown, stepped on, yanked out of the amp by the cord and they all still work just like when I bought them.

I have thought about getting the HD202s as well just to have options but I'm happy witht he MoreMes so far.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:36 pm

I've got 5 sets of hd202's. They are really great.. not the most comforatable sets in the world, but they sound good, have excellent isolation, are really LOUD, and are dirt cheap. I can probably wear them for about twenty minutes at a time before I start to go nuts... which is less than my sonys, but more than AKG's.

For the price, they are AWESOME tracking headphones. I don't know about durability. The cord looks pretty cheap as does the connections to the headphones themselves. I've not had mine six months and all of them are still working (knock on wood).

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!