what's with all the haters lately?

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Re: what's with all the haters lately?

Post by Ivon » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:22 pm

Zoltar wrote:
iwokojance wrote:
Wilkesin wrote:actually pretty much all the music anyone here listens to or records sucks....walter sear agrees.

"MODULATE BITCHES!"
I read that article. He's also got some good articles on his website.
That was a fantastic interview. The last paragraph, about mediocrety, and how if you don't love what you do, and do it with passion and precision, chances are you are just messing it up for someone else, that was heavy. The fall of the Roman Empire.
Complacency. I am too lazy to even spel check, that is how bad it
getz.
I contacted Doctra Sears to give him my praise...and he responded with a lengthy letter and some good information about dealing with competing frequencies in a mix (that's one of the many things I've been working on, trying to resolve in my own mixes).

His email response was just like the interview - he pulls no punches. He may be wrong and he may be right - but, he's been doing it for decades and it's hard to deny successful experience. What a great person and resource that man is. And how awesome is Tape Op to provide the link?! I love this magazine.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:56 pm

iwokojance wrote:
Zoltar wrote:
iwokojance wrote:
Wilkesin wrote:actually pretty much all the music anyone here listens to or records sucks....walter sear agrees.

"MODULATE BITCHES!"
I read that article. He's also got some good articles on his website.
That was a fantastic interview. The last paragraph, about mediocrety, and how if you don't love what you do, and do it with passion and precision, chances are you are just messing it up for someone else, that was heavy. The fall of the Roman Empire.
Complacency. I am too lazy to even spel check, that is how bad it
getz.
I contacted Doctra Sears to give him my praise...and he responded with a lengthy letter and some good information about dealing with competing frequencies in a mix (that's one of the many things I've been working on, trying to resolve in my own mixes).

His email response was just like the interview - he pulls no punches. He may be wrong and he may be right - but, he's been doing it for decades and it's hard to deny successful experience. What a great person and resource that man is. And how awesome is Tape Op to provide the link?! I love this magazine.
I have his phone number, but I'm too nervous too nervous to call.

bassface
takin' a dinner break

Post by bassface » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:59 pm

I was nervous the first time I called him too, but when we met he really put me at ease and gave me a great hand job and then I felt much more relaxed.
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

--Major Frank Burns

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:03 pm

bassface wrote:I was nervous the first time I called him too, but when we met he really put me at ease and gave me a great hand job and then I felt much more relaxed.

:rofl:

To coin ec?amoR ecnaL's phrase, WTO?!

How the fuck do you rate?!

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:04 pm

bassface wrote:I was nervous the first time I called him too, but when we met he really put me at ease and gave me a great hand job and then I felt much more relaxed.
Did you meet him expecting a hand job? Or what excuse did you have to meet him?

bassface
takin' a dinner break

Post by bassface » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:33 pm

Oh, now you guys are making me feel all shy.... :roll:

It was just a one-time kind of....I dunno, one thing leading to another....well...

We were on the couch together and he was explaining why my recordings made at home could never possibly have any artistic merit, and something about his condescension and demeaning manner aroused something in me. I got hard, he reached for me and I didn't resist...I didn't resist...

There! I told you what I never planned on telling anybody.

Are you happy now? Are you happy?
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

--Major Frank Burns