Live Mixer - Good or Hell NO?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
kRza.
pushin' record

Live Mixer - Good or Hell NO?

Post by kRza. » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:51 am

I'm beefing up a live set up & could use some opinoins. Keep iin mind that BUDGET rules the school here - as we're all cheap & broke cats.

Two vocals / quiet pretty-type vocals with loud as shit music. Bought two Audix OM5's...which helps some, but I feel that getting a compressor / gate / limiter & a small mixer type combo might do the trick.
I've been eyeing the Behringer UB802 for the mixer function - & think it'll do the trick - but all the reviews are completely bi-polar. Some say it's shit...others say it's jesus in a box.

Has anyone used the Behringer mixer live....and for vocals? If so...what's yr take on it? Any suggestions for a good & cheap vocal set up? Vocal compressor / gate / limiter FX?

Thanks!

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Live Mixer - Good or Hell NO?

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:57 am

Turning all the guitar amps down is very effective... cheap, too.

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:16 am

Scodiddly wrote:Turning all the guitar amps down is very effective... cheap, too.

you da man!!!!

dougo
pushin' record

Post by dougo » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:15 am

Scodiddly wrote:Turning all the guitar amps down is very effective... cheap, too.
Excellent idea. Is there a way to get that "air moving" feeling with a low volume. I went to a local show that has a shitload of subs and you can feel it but still the ears were ok. I use a 18 watt amp(maz jr) and still get told to turn down. To me it just sounds better cranked up. Perhaps even lower wattage?

dougo
"To live on the land, one must learn from the sea." Jacques-Yves Cousteau
1910-1997

kRza.
pushin' record

Post by kRza. » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:31 pm

turn guitars down....... :shock:

Behringer mixer live - anyone using it? Know about em?

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:17 pm

It takes in signals... mixes them and puts them out. They work. There's better, and worse. Turning down is a good idea for 90% of the bands that I see anyway.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:45 pm

Excellent idea. Is there a way to get that "air moving" feeling with a low volume. I went to a local show that has a shitload of subs and you can feel it but still the ears were ok. I use a 18 watt amp(maz jr) and still get told to turn down. To me it just sounds better cranked up. Perhaps even lower wattage?

Attenuators. They let you get the cranked-amp tone w/o the ear-splitting volume. Check out www.webervst.com. I have the MiniMass and it works quite well on my 15-watt Fender Pro Jr.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

dougo
pushin' record

Post by dougo » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:34 pm

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:

Attenuators. They let you get the cranked-amp tone w/o the ear-splitting volume. Check out www.webervst.com. I have the MiniMass and it works quite well on my 15-watt Fender Pro Jr.
Sorry for the partial hijack of the thread. But thanks for the minimass suggestion. I'll give it a go.
dougo
"To live on the land, one must learn from the sea." Jacques-Yves Cousteau
1910-1997

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:20 pm

I use the UB1204 Pro for some things, including vocals and like it. The Pro series is quieter than the regular UB models but for live app's that doesn't matter as much, and the new IMP pre's are much better than those in the previous Eurorack line. They're much quieter than the former Eurorack series which was really noisey (IMO) and there's tons more headroom in there.

It works man and for $50 it's an honest solution.

If you get the FX models they have built-in effects (like compression) and some multi-effects (chorus+rev., etc), which is useful live too.

dayvel
gettin' sounds

Post by dayvel » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:40 pm

I have a UB1202 that I picked up to use with my band's rehearsal room PA cuz it was cheap. After all the behr bashing I'd seen, I really didn't expect much, but it's pretty well built (not great, though) and sounds pretty darn good.

jmligt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmligt » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:25 pm

I poured the better part of a bottle of beer on my little behringer mixer that I use for practice and whatnot, it's still working as good as it ever did....

Wild Bill
pushin' record

Post by Wild Bill » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:26 pm

I have a Berry UB2424 that I keep around as a live/loaner mixer.
It compared favorably in sound to a Mackie mixer of similar format that was damaged after a gig.
The music genre was acoustic/folk rock and everything went out the direct outs to a in ear monitoring device that everyone could customize for their particular needs.

We sounded good enough for return gigs in the Chicago Border Cafe circuit.

I recorded a couple of songs through the board live. If anyone is interested in hearing them, I'll post them.
Bill~~~

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:52 pm

Look at this!! You wont ne able to get this mixer this cheap again!

I just bought a Behringer MX2442A for $400. For whay you get, That's dirt cheap!! Seriously, I used to mix live sound on a Mackie 24X4, and it's almost the same mixer. I love that it has 4 stereo channels, and a built in talkback. The pre's aren't dead quiet, but I neither are the pres on the Mackie 24X4. If you're using it for live applications it won't matter, you'll never hear them over the athmosphere. The EQ is very nice, parametric mids.. You can still get it for this price until March at www.americanmusical.com , I had my eyes on it for a while at over $500, then I jumped on it when it temporarily dropped! Definate bang for the buck!

Oh yeah, rack mountable power supply, it really helps quiet down the pre's.