Suggest me an All-In-One Digital Recorder unit

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jtotheg
alignin' 24-trk

Suggest me an All-In-One Digital Recorder unit

Post by jtotheg » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:13 pm

These things seem to have significantly dropped in price for used units...
At least models from a year to a couple years ago.

I have a 1" Otari machine & 1/4" mixdown deck, analog board, etc...
I can record to PC & all that, but sometimes it's just overkill for somethings I need to record or for scratchpad ideas/demos, etc...

So I am looking for a CHEAP used but decent all in one Digital Recorder.
Along the lines of a Roland VS unit or similair.
I've heard some pretty good recordings & even complete Albums done on a 1680 & 1880.
So I am tempted now just to have one.
I am not interested in the Pro Tools plus laptop combo.

I used to own a Yamaha AW4416 w/ all the extras & that thing was BAD ASS, but i let it go last year to fund some other stuff, and it was pretty much overkill for my needs anyways.

*** All I need is the following:
- Cost between $200 - $500
- Must be able to record up 8 tracks at once.
- Offer UNCOMPRESSED pure 44.1/16 audio in some form.
- 1/2 way decent EQ & effects, but don't need to be the best.
- Have at least 8 IN's & 8 out's
- 1/4" balanced I/O is prefererred but I can settle for whatever I guess as long as I get 8in/8out
- Upgradeable hard drive to add recording time...

*** Optional Would be NICE to have's include:
- WAV file export of tracks or at least 2 Track final mixes...
- Integrate with a PC or Pro Tools.
- Decent screen.
- Moving faders or at least some form of automation.
- PC Control.
- CD Burner.
- SCSI interface for extra recording time or at least back up.

Again, this won't be the heart of my studio, but I see it as a good way to save wear & tear on my big toys & also be a decent portable recording system & serve as my quick recording scratchpad, mixtapes, ideas, etc....

Hell if it sounds decent enough I might even dump tracks to & from the Otari 8-tack (1") on ocassion... I know, I know... But hey why not.

So what would you suggest?

Roland, Korg, Akai, Boss ?

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Suggest me an All-In-One Digital Recorder unit

Post by kayagum » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:24 pm

Do you really need 8-in? That seriously limits your options, especially on the cheap.

If you're really looking for scratch pads, I'd look at a Tascam DP-01, brand new for $400 street w/o FX, $500 with FX. I think the main thing to consider is the interface- lots of these all-in-one boxes have mind-numbing submenus.

jtotheg
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jtotheg » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:41 pm

Yeah, 8-In's is an absolute must have otherwise I can't record & mix from my sampler/drum machine (which has 8 outs).

I've seen VS units pretty cheap on eBay, which doesn't seem to bad.
I just don't know which one is decent, or if i am better off with some other brand/model.

Don Shumai
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Don Shumai » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:59 pm

I have the Fostex VF-16, which can record 8 simultaneous tracks (16 with an ADAT in), and has 8 inputs, only 2 of which are XLR, unfortunately. You need a SCSI cd burner with this one, but the VF-160 has it built-in, and then you can export .wavs. Or if you have a sound card with lightpipe capabilities, you could export that way, I think.

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:34 pm

yeah, the Fostex VF160 is pretty good. It doesn't have 8 analog outs, but it has ADAT optical in and out. For analog outs, it has main, monitor, and 2 aux. I'm not sure if the monitor outs are the same as the mains.
But it does export .wav files to CD or SCSI.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:36 pm

the yamaha aw16g, closesly related to the 4416 in terms of use, seems like a great choice for you, but it is around $1000, so thats out of your range. however, it would be worth the extra investment. sorry if that didnt help, but just a thought.

I wil lsay the VF is nice, although I never had a good experience with fostex as a company. they basically told me to *$*& off when I had a problem with my old tape deck
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:06 pm

I love my Korg D1200. Plus, the Korg users forum (korgstudios.com) is 100% responsible for my understanding of the thing. It has four inputs that you can use simultaneously, not eight. Probably find one used for $500. You may be hard pressed to find 8 inputs on a hard disk machine for $500.

StivBatorsWreckedMyCar
alignin' 24-trk

Post by StivBatorsWreckedMyCar » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:21 pm

I have a Korg D1600 which I am now selling as soon as I drag all the old tracks off it. I recorded a couple singles on it that were pressed and sold out so it's not useless. The pre's can be a bit brittle and some of the effects blow (and some are pretty good), but otherwise its rock solid, easy to use and comes with a CD burner. I highly recommend it. These things usually sell for about 500-600 used.

jtotheg
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jtotheg » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:04 pm

Well I'll be doing %99 Line-In level recording, so crappy Mic-Pre's won't make me cry, I don't expect much in that regard with a all-in-one'r

Yeah, I was considering the AW 4416 baby versions but they are out of my budget.

I am ok buying used.

I have heard the Fostex's are actually ok, I too have always kept my distance from Fostex, at least in the analog days.
But maybe one of these might work.

I'm just thinking something I can use as my mini-studio without havin' to crank on the analog board, the 1", the PC, the 1/4" the Rack gear, etc...

8 x 1/4" in's is perfect for me. XLR's not a big deal.
8 outs would be ideal, even if they're RCA's or Lightpipe, least I have that option if I wanted to dump the tracks out later.

Never know, sometimes that scratchpad "idea" ends up a keeper...

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:17 pm

Classic TapeOp board post. You want it all, and you don't want to pay anything. :roll:

Just like the current thread about the guitar amp preamp tubes.

Come to think of it, that's the American way too....

(Forgive me, I'm under the influence.... :twisted: )

If you really want cheap and 8 channels, get a used 8 channel computer pre, your current PC and a copy of Tracktion. I know you don't want laptop/desktop, but that's what you get for $300 used.

A used ADAT or Tascam 238 with a cheap-ass board (think 1202) will fufill your $300 8 input fantasy.

What drum/sampler do you have? Doesn't that have any .wav transfer?

Yeah, the 8 simultaneous input is a pain in the ass. Just for that alone, I went for a HD24. A 2488 will do 8 ins too, but it'll cost you over a $1K.

d-bolan
gettin' sounds

Post by d-bolan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:30 pm

I used the Korg D112 forever and I beat the shit out of it. It was great to me. I've since sold it cause I got PT. But I've borrowed my friend's D1600.....it sounds like thats your answer. You should really check it out. I never even opened my manual. Easy to use, decent effects, 8 ins, you can't beat it for what you're looking for. Goodluck.

-Danny

P.S. My Father is Alex J Korg
call me rabbit fighter

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:44 pm

d-bolan wrote:I used the Korg D112 forever and I beat the shit out of it. It was great to me. I've since sold it cause I got PT. But I've borrowed my friend's D1600.....it sounds like thats your answer. You should really check it out. I never even opened my manual. Easy to use, decent effects, 8 ins, you can't beat it for what you're looking for. Goodluck.

-Danny

P.S. My Father is Alex J Korg
Too bad it costs $900 used.... http://www.prepal.com

jtotheg
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jtotheg » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:21 am

hehehe... Well, I'll pay something...

And I already have computer mixing , I'm simply lookin for a decent all-in-one box...
So let me rephrase the question...

If you had to go buy used All-In-One STANDALONE workstation & had a budget of just under $500...
What would you get?
Used gear is definitely OK.

Right now I am leaning towards the Roland 1680, 1880 or the Fostex VF units...

Again, only Must-haves are 8 in's & be capable of 44.1/16 recording in some manner.

kayagum wrote:Classic TapeOp board post. You want it all, and you don't want to pay anything. :roll:

Just like the current thread about the guitar amp preamp tubes.

Come to think of it, that's the American way too....

(Forgive me, I'm under the influence.... :twisted: )

If you really want cheap and 8 channels, get a used 8 channel computer pre, your current PC and a copy of Tracktion. I know you don't want laptop/desktop, but that's what you get for $300 used.

A used ADAT or Tascam 238 with a cheap-ass board (think 1202) will fufill your $300 8 input fantasy.

What drum/sampler do you have? Doesn't that have any .wav transfer?

Yeah, the 8 simultaneous input is a pain in the ass. Just for that alone, I went for a HD24. A 2488 will do 8 ins too, but it'll cost you over a $1K.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:25 am

the rolands are quite cool and i know you could find em used in your price range. i'd scope them out...that roland planet support group is supposed to be really helpful as well...

edit - in your price range...the 880 that is.

Mike

jtotheg
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jtotheg » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:21 am

Yeah I am slightly leaning towards the Rolands.
They seem to be the most popular, seems like everyone has one...
I know I've heard of several artists actually using a Roland VS to make actual records.

I know I can score a 1680 for under 500 (no extras of course) easily.
The 1880 are right around low 500's.
But The 1824 seems the best version... Might be worthwhile to save up a lil more i guess.
I'll poke around the VS-Planet board for more details on these...

Anyone ever done any All-In-One Workstation recording that they either dumped from Tape or later bounced to tape?

I once had a guy bring me his vs-890 & we dumped the stereo mix from it thru a pair Distressors & then to a 2-track 1/4" tape mixdown, it came out sounding pretty good.

I'd get one of those but they only got 6 inputs, I need 8 !!!

Thanks!