Figure-8-in-Guitar Amp Phase Question

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Stephen B.
gettin' sounds

Figure-8-in-Guitar Amp Phase Question

Post by Stephen B. » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:06 am

So I'm wondering about something. If I use a bidirectional microphone, nameley a R-121, in the back of a guitar amp stuck inside the cabinet, will there be phase problems? I know one lobe of the pattern is 180 degrees out-of-phase with the other side, soooo... if one lobe is picking up one speaker and the other is picking up another and the speakers are basically the same (though, of course, no two speakers are identical), wouldn't they in theory all but cancel each other out? I want to record a live show, but I don't have enough 57's to go the traditional route, and the r121 is pretty much my electric amp go-to guy now. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen
"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

C.S. Lewis

BJohnston
ass engineer

Re: Figure-8-in-Guitar Amp Phase Question

Post by BJohnston » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:52 am

Phasing shouldn't be a problem with one mic. The 2 speakers working together wouldn't cause any phasing unless they're wired out of phase. Why mic the amp from the inside for a live show? Will you be micing it from the front too? Just wondering. I prefer micing with ribbons and condensors live or recorded. Good luck with the it.

B

Stephen B.
gettin' sounds

Post by Stephen B. » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:51 am

Thanks, I was starting to think no one would respond. I was planning on micing it from the inside because I figured that since it's figure-8 I would get a lot of bleed if I miced it where I normally would. I'm not one of these scared of bleed type of people, but this is a really small coffee shop venue, and I'm afraid the drums will be all over the place. I think I'll just try to position it well to minimize bleed and go ahead and put the mic on the outside.
"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

C.S. Lewis

BJohnston
ass engineer

Post by BJohnston » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:15 am

Is the Figure 8 the pattern your only option on the mic? If it is I'd still mic it from the front.

Take Care,
B

Luke
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Luke » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:18 am

Sounds like a good idea. Try it and let us know how it works out. If I had an open back cab I'd try it.
Use what you have, after all, it's all you've got.LV

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:42 am

Just point the other lobe of the figure 8 away from the drums. You're going to be up against a pretty loud source anyway.