Buying a bass cabinet. Should I get a 1x15 or a 4x10?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Coco
re-cappin' neve

Buying a bass cabinet. Should I get a 1x15 or a 4x10?

Post by Coco » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:20 pm

I am about to buy an Orange bass cab to match with my 200 watt Orange bass head. I am not a bass player by trade, just a drummer that likes to play bass. It will be used as a studio amp as well in our recording space, never live. I am curious as to which configuration I should get. A 1 x 15" or a 4 x 10" In a perfect world I would have both or two of the same but since cash is a factor and that not being a bass player I don't really need a full on set up. The Orange stuff is loaded with Eminence speakers, not sure of the model numbers.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Re: Buying a bass cabinet. Should I get a 1x15 or a 4x10?

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:28 pm

Single 15 cabs are great for the studio....the Ampeg fliptop being my fav.
I do have a nice little vintage Sunn cab that might be for sale soon if you're interested. I believe it's loaded with the vintage JBL, but I haven't popped it apart to verify. It's got the silver dustcap and that JBL sound....I just never bothered to check. Anyway, shipping would be a mother to you, but if you're interested.....
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:30 pm

That depends on your playing style.

If you're slapping-n-popping stuff, the 4x10 will project better.

For most other styles, the fifteen is better although I bought a 2x15 cabinet as it was clearer and had more oomph than a 1x15.

If you're playing four hour club gigs, the eminence speakers won't hold up. Peavey Scorpions are rugged and reasonably priced. Recording, eminence will suffice.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:35 pm

Like I said, I am NOT a gigging bass player. I just wanted a nice rig for personal use and to use in our recording space as an extra flavour. I have a 400 watt JBL E140 15" speaker that I could load into the Orange 1x15" cab. The music store would take the original speaker back on trade towrds the cab or something else. I was going to get a custom made 2 x 15" but the shipping cost from the US to Canada would be insane! I can get Orange at my local music shop so the idea of no shipping and the ability to put half down pay the rest later is also appealing. I want to stick with the Orange to match my head, and most companies are using particle board, while Orange uses marine grade baltic birch plywood. I have seen too many Ampeg cabinets fall apart, so for a little extra scratch I can get the quality of the Orange. I did not know if the 4 x10" might have a bit more low end because four 10 inch speakers have more surface area than one 15".

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:47 pm

Coco wrote:\I did not know if the 4 x10" might have a bit more low end because four 10 inch speakers have more surface area than one 15".
Yes, but usually only one speaker is miced.

ape32
gettin' sounds

Post by ape32 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:50 pm

calling shennanigans on the eminence warning - those speakers are fine, I have done hundreds of gigs on them mixed with old JBL's and they are plenty rugged within their ratings. On the other hand - I can't recall ever using a Peavy speaker that sounded like anything I liked.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:52 pm

I prefer to mic 10" speakers when recording bass. I seem to get more definition from the 10's.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:02 pm

if its just gonna be for recording, I would probably go with the four tens. For some reason one 15 allways comes out sloppy for me. Even better I think would be two tens. but whats the point in that if you are rocking the orange. Yeah, I guess I would get the four tens.

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:08 pm

i think the 10's are tighter and more accurate. probably more versatile for getting lots of different sounds. i've got a few old fender bassman cabs loaded with the 15" jbl's and an ampeg svt (8x10) and the ampeg produces a great deal more bottom that is tighter.

but i personally usually play through the fenders, i love those old jbl's....

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:09 pm

Another vote for the eminence. I've used their beta and kappa lines in 12 and 15 inch varieties, and I like them alot. And I've got to agree with ape32 again about peavey, they're bass cabs/speakers are better known for their durability than their sound, and for good reason.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:18 pm

I think you guys are right about the Peavy thing, although I blew one of my Fanes in my Hiwatt cab, and the only thing that comes close is a Peavy speaker out of a 5150! Yeah I was shocked too but I can not find a vintage Fane replacement so the Peavy stays. Anyway, thanks for the comments guys. I still don't know which one to go for. If they sold a 2 x 15" I would go for it but maybe the 4 x 10 is the more logical choice. The Orange head definitely sounds great. A little tubby for guitar but it is a great sounding bass head. The 1 x 15" is a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the 4 x 10" but that is not the issue. I have this 50 pound JBL sitting on my shelf and need a box to put it in. That sounds kind of perverted now that I think about it.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:19 pm

I like one 15, but then I generally play with a pick and mute heavily.
beware bee wear

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:45 pm

Is this tthe same size cab with your choice of either a 4x10 or 1x15 baffle? I would go with the bigger sized cab physically if there is a size difference. I used to record a band alot and their bass player had a 4x10 ampeg cab and it sounded totally boxy and small compared to the 8x10 that I have, and thats micing one speaker. Go for the biggest box you can get for a bass cab and then deal with whatever baffle it comes with, thats what I would do.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:13 pm

a 4x10 is way more versitile and will still have tons of meat. get a 15" as an upgrade down the road if thats possible. then youd be really smokin

I recommend mixing a bass DI as well as a good miced cabinet for the mixdown. the DI will get the 'bass'. the mic will get the actual 'tone' of the instrument. I could never get a bass sound I was happy with with only one or the other.
Last edited by Zeppelin4Life on Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:14 pm

First of all I agree with the earlier posts giving a positive nod to Eminence speakers. Eminence are my all-time faves for guitar and bass. They just plain sound good and I've never had one blow up on me.

Second, you might want to audition both cabs and see how they sound to you. I've always gotten the best results mic'ing a bass cab (with a kick/bass mic) from 2 feet back or more where the soundwaves are a little more developed than they are right up against the speaker. Blend that mic'd signal with the direct out signal from your head and you've got a beautiful track (usually).

Just to add, the coolest bass sounds I ever got were from a guitar amp and also from plugging straight into an old tube RTR deck.