CDR audio format compatibility question

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
filterdish
alignin' 24-trk

CDR audio format compatibility question

Post by filterdish » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:51 pm

So a band I'm working with needs 50 copies of the CD we just finished recording by Friday. They have two options:

1) pay almost $300 for 50 CDs made by a pro CD company

or

2) pay my poor ass much much less to burn them 50 of em.

I want to be up front about compatibility issues with them. If I'm using a very recent version of Toast and burning discs at aroung 8X will I still have huge compatibility problems with old CD players? What are some strategies for maximizing compatibility (programs, disc types, write speed)? Does Toast burn Red Book format audio? What's the difference between a "real" cd (e.g. from mixonic.com) and my CDRs?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
if you can't see me in my mirrors
i can't see you

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Re: CDR audio format compatibility question

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:42 am

If your original disc is a verified, RedBook compliant (let's not forget the block-error rates - especially on short-run stuff) disc and you're making clones, it should be fine.

The assembly of the master disc is the important part -

Any short-run place is going to basically do the same as you - Exact copies onto CD-R. As long as the drives are in good shape, the discs should be also. Use a decent quality disc though - Tayio Yuden, Maxell, Sony...
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:15 am

There can still be issues with really old CD players, though. That has more to do with the optical properties of CDR versus the original manufactured CDs. But you're probably OK, since anybody in the business with an old-school CD player has likely already figured out that they need a newer player for all the CDRs they get.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:26 am

"There can still be issues with really old CD players, though. That has more to do with the optical properties of CDR versus the original manufactured CDs. But you're probably OK, since anybody in the business with an old-school CD player has likely already figured out that they need a newer player for all the CDRs they get."

my car is one of them...if it's a for sale thing...it really bums me out when i buy something for 10 bucks and it's a cdr...

Mike

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:18 am

I encourage clients not to price CDR dupes too high - they don't play in all players (I dont care what anybody tells you - they don't and it doesn't matter if you pay $300 for 50 of 'em.) I encourage that if they're really serious about selling CDs, to get a minimum of 300 replicated discs done, just bite the bullet and do it. It's their reputation and posterity on the line.

Also, the perception (as in the last post) of lesser quality is accurate - many, many CDRs become even less "travelable" from machine to machine over time, so even some players that had no problems with a certain disc at first might not work at all later on.

But if the drive/burner is in good shape and you use exceptionally good media (Taiyo Yuden comes to mind) then at least you're ahead of the curve...
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

filterdish
alignin' 24-trk

Post by filterdish » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:18 am

thanks guys

in this case there is no "master disk" just the files on my drive....

is this going to mean I'm not RedBook compliant?

and are we sure that a place like mixonic.com puts out CDRs?
if you can't see me in my mirrors
i can't see you

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:13 am

filterdish wrote:thanks guys

I haven't used Toast before, but I'm pretty sure it produces redbook compliant CDs from files on your drive. And I'm also pretty sure that mixonic does use CDRs for runs of 50, they advertise 2-day turnaround on under 500 CDs, and I don't think there's any way they could do that if they weren't using CDRs. But they very cleverly don't say that they use CDRs, I guess you could email them and ask them. I've recorded thousands of CDRs, and I've found the Mitsui brand to be the one that is compatible with the most players.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:51 am

I can get you dups made at 50 cents per disk + cost of media(your pick) and shipping through a friend of mine..bulk verified duplication..pm me if this appeals to you..

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:17 pm

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:I can get you dups made at 50 cents per disk + cost of media(your pick) and shipping through a friend of mine..bulk verified duplication..pm me if this appeals to you..
For verified CDRs that seems like a pretty good price.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:20 pm

jv wrote:
filterdish wrote:thanks guys

I haven't used Toast before, but I'm pretty sure it produces redbook compliant CDs from files on your drive. And I'm also pretty sure that mixonic does use CDRs for runs of 50, they advertise 2-day turnaround on under 500 CDs, and I don't think there's any way they could do that if they weren't using CDRs. But they very cleverly don't say that they use CDRs, I guess you could email them and ask them. I've recorded thousands of CDRs, and I've found the Mitsui brand to be the one that is compatible with the most players.
RedBook compliant depends on your buring software, and how it is set. Toast or Nero in Disc-At-Once modes will usually be RedBook.

I know of no place that makes Replicated CDs in quantities less than 500 (although some will sell you only 300 anyway) because it's just not remotely cost-effective for them to run anything less. (I could be wrong about this, feel free to correct me if you know of a place that actually runs less than 500 Replicated...)

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Post by Tim Casey » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:24 pm

Get Adaptec's Jam. If you've already got Toast, you might as well get Jam. I'm pretty sure that that's the only way to make redbook compliant CD-Rs from Adaptec, and it lets you write disc-at-once, which can include crossfades with no tiny bits of silence between the tracks when you don't want them (try copying "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" - you'll see what I mean). You can also adjust the level of each track and create index points (though I don't know anyone who uses those anymore). You won't regret it.

And pay for a real copy. It'll work better, you'll get a manual, and you'll be doing the right thing.