A Hard Days Night Chorused?!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Devlars
re-cappin' neve

A Hard Days Night Chorused?!

Post by Devlars » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:35 am

Has anyone else seen/heard the DVD release of A Hard Days Night? I was watching it again a few days ago and I can't get over how horribly processed the songs all sound. I swear I'm hearing a chorus effect on every song you hear played throughout the soundtrack. One song I distinctly remember being "not right" was I Should Have Known Better (the song they sing when playing cards in the storage car of the train). I KNOW it doesn't sound like that on the original vinyl or CD release. Anyone know why this was done? It sounds awful and it's clearly done on purpose but why would anyone do that to these songs?!
Last edited by Devlars on Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: A Hard Days Night Chorused?!

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:07 am

A sick joke? Maybe its part of a mind control conspiracy?

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:09 am

They can't take "I Should Have Known Better" away from me!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:14 am

Yes but they sure can pooch it and many other songs on the DVD thereby detracting from the listening experience.
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

hulahalau
gettin' sounds

Post by hulahalau » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:26 am

I have the DVD, but listened to it only on my 25 year old RCA TV. Did not detect the "chorusing" that you are speaking about.

By the way, there are at least two versions of "I Should Have Known Better" and "Can't Buy Me Love" in the US over the years. I had the original LP release of Hard Days Night on United Artists in mono (I didn't want to pay extra for the stereo version on my elementary school budget - does that date me?), and the "Hey Jude" LP which apparently is an American Capitol creation.

The Lennon vocals are double-tracked in the verses of "ISHKB" on the HDN LP, but are single-tracked (as I recall) on the HJ LP. On "CBML" the guitar solo differs. The most extensive difference however between the soundtrack album and the LP is that "And I love Her" has Paul's voice single-tracked on one vesion (HDN LP???, and double tracked on all other LPs (like the "Red collection"). That's all I can remember now, and my turntable has been in sotrage for many years so I can't pull out both albums and play them Plus, of course, the HJ LP is stereo. I seem to recall a Rolling Stone article on the Beatles that in passing noted the re-recording of vocals with the imnplication that this was necessary to support issuance of a true stereeo mix of these early-recorded songs. On the other hand, the refernce books seem to indicate that the original HDN sessions were, in fact, recorded on a 4-track Studer - the first-ever 4-track sessions at Abby Road.

Perhaps you are familiar with one mix, and didn't realize there is a different mix???

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:32 am

Yes I was, am and have been aware of the things you speak of in regards to the different releases of the LP but on the DVD, on every song, on every aspect of the performance (not just vocals but the WHOLE song) has been processed and I'm most certain that it's a chorus effect. It's somewhat mild but there enough so that if you focus on it (as I find myself doing when watching) it sounds absolutely dreadful quite frankly.
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:51 pm

maybe your speakers are out of phase?

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:55 pm

I've read others report the same as devlars.. It seems the processing on this new HDN dvd sucks. period.
beware bee wear

Albro Swift
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Albro Swift » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:59 pm

Are you listening through a 5.1 reciever? Sometimes they can have a faux-surround mode that sends a processed/chorus-y version to the rears...

Just a thought.

Josh

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:01 pm

joeysimms wrote:I've read others report the same as devlars.. It seems the processing on this new HDN dvd sucks. period.
Yis.
Albro Swift wrote:Are you listening through a 5.1 reciever? Sometimes they can have a faux-surround mode that sends a processed/chorus-y version to the rears...
No.
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:03 pm

But dev, it could be that you are not playing it through a 5.1 system, but that the 5.1 playback mix is selected somewhere in the menu?
beware bee wear

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:15 pm

Good thought but I doubt it. What I also should have mentioned is that this sound only occurs on the songs, to the songs. If it were the case of a mismacthed set up or phase issues(ha ha) then it would affect the sound of the entire movie. This is most definitely something that was done to the mixes of the Beatles songs for the DVD release.
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:22 pm

Well now that you mention it there's no end to the screwing with Beatles relic-ry... the "whole new beautiful" Yellow Submarine is robotic, kind of small-minded sounding. The whole "One" collection has an odd tilt, too.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:27 pm

joelpatterson wrote:Well now that you mention it there's no end to the screwing with Beatles relic-ry... the "whole new beautiful" Yellow Submarine is robotic, kind of small-minded sounding.
Ahh but I do LOVE what they did to Pauls bass, it has so much more baulce on the remastered Yellow Submarine release. Same with the Anthology versions of Day Tripper, Paperback Writer and Rain (an octave pedal or similar processing I wonder?)
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:31 pm

Just to mention those words, "Day Tripper, Paperback Writer, Rain" ... it all conjures up such a lost world. I would have fought a war for those words at the time, if someone had showed me how.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net