favorite obscure covers!??

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Re: favorite obscure covers!??

Post by coniferouspine » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:42 pm

I love the Meters doing the theme from "Hang 'Em High." It's kinda like Spaghetti Western organ funk. S'nice.
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:43 pm

I like it when the Frames cover anything.

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:19 pm

Yeah, some people just don't get into The Bad Plus for some reason, and it's usually jazz fans. It's not for everybody.

I do need to check out that new record though. I personally really like them.

I've also got some weirdass cd called "Ricky Kitty and the Claws" that has a cover of bohemian rhapsody on it, being sung by cats. It's fun to sneak into the player at parties.

O.T.- Have you checked out the new Alice Coltrane record? She did a few of the tracks at our studio- She really looks like she couldn't possibly play piano at all, she's so seemingly frail, but some of the shit she does on the organ on that record is pretty out there, esp. on "Leo".

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:35 pm

ayanpal wrote:Mark Kozelek - yes's long distance run around
Sets the bar for covers, IMHO.

MT

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:00 pm

Today on the radio I heard a lovely version of "Straight No Chaser" as done by one of Miles Davis' groups. Cracked me right up.

A band called the Soft Pink Truth has recently released an album of covers of various punk and new wave bands. SPT is kinda bleep-bloopy but also kinda poppy. My fave that I've heard on the radio is their cover of Crass's "Do they Owe Us a Living." You haven't lived until you've heard Crass rendered as electroclash. (can I say that?)

Then there's Jah Division which is someone notable's side-project, I think. They do a whole album of dub covers of Joy Division songs.

Dead Kennedys "Take this Job and Shove It" is kind of a classic.

Oh yeah. I just heard a bootleg of Nick Cave (& Bad Seeds?) doing a version of "shivers" from the Dogs In Space soundtrack.

OneRoomStudios
audio school

Post by OneRoomStudios » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:10 pm

Brad Mehldau's Radiohead covers
Jeff Buckley doing Loenard Cohen's 'Hallelujah'
Fiona Apple doing Hendrix's 'Angel'
Iron & Wine doing The Postal Services' 'Such Great Heights'
Hendrix doing Muddy Waters' 'Catfish Blues'
Johnny Cash doing Soundgarden's 'Rusty Cage'
Nirvana doing Lead Belly's 'Where Did You Sleep Last Night?"
Smashing Pumpkins doing Van Morrison's 'Dancing In The Moonlight'
Thom Yorke doing Neil Yong's 'After The Gold Rush'
Tool doing Zep's 'No Quarter'
Unified Theory doing Floyd's "Breathe"

I guess some of those aren't obscure, but they're some of my favorites...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:22 pm

OneRoomStudios wrote:Unified Theory doing Floyd's "Breathe"
Where can I get a copy of this?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:22 pm

some of my favs:

Sonic Youth - superstar (the carpenters)
the Smashing Pumpkins - Dancing in the Moonlight
the Flaming Lips - I can't get you out of my head (Kyle Minoge)
Cat Power - that whole 'covers' record has moments
Iron & Wine - waiting for a superman (Flaming Lips)
Macha/Bedhead - do you believe in life after love (Cher)

if you haven't heard it, that Macha song is interesting. very laid back, slow, but they do used the auto-tune for the chorus.

also lately, I have been collecting covers of Sweet Home Alabama because nobody does it justice.

OneRoomStudios
audio school

Post by OneRoomStudios » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:40 pm

Zoltar wrote:Iron & Wine - waiting for a superman (Flaming Lips)
Whoa! Where can I get that?
cgarges wrote:Where can I get a copy of this?
It was live...I don't know if it was ever officially released. The quality isn't all that great, but if you want it, I can upload it somewhere so you can have it...

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:53 pm

OneRoomStudios wrote:
Zoltar wrote:Iron & Wine - waiting for a superman (Flaming Lips)
Whoa! Where can I get that?
It was live...I don't know if it was ever officially released. The quality isn't all that great, but if you want it, I can upload it somewhere so you can have it...
That was something I found on limewire, but haven't figured out what album it's on. It says 'yeti' on the mp3.

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:10 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:Oh yeah. I just heard a bootleg of Nick Cave (& Bad Seeds?) doing a version of "shivers" from the Dogs In Space soundtrack.
Um, Shivers is actually by the proto Birthday Party band 'Boys Next Door' anyway... though I think Rowland Howard wrote it.

Fuck, I even have that album.

Umm, covers, erm, um... Raincoats' Lola? Slit's Heard it Through the Grapevine? Those are good covers

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:13 pm

OneRoomStudios wrote:
Man, that would rock. I'm a big fan of UT. I grew up with Chris and I think it's some of his best stuff. He had a great band after that with Dave Kruzen and another guitar player and my buddy Cody Davis from Flyweb on bass. I almost got to do a session for them when they were in town one time, but I was going out of town and the timing didn't work out. I was really bummed. I did get to see them though and they were great. Chris is one talented dude.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Post by Isolation » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:16 pm

apropos brought up the Dead Kennedys, one of their best covers has got to be 'I Fought The Law'...brilliant guitar solo on that one...

i'm gonna fuck it all up and bring in Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, they do nothing but covers...most of which are absolutely boobs...

The Offspring do a neat, crappy fun cover of Hendrix's 'Hey Joe'...

Ministry's version of Dylan's 'Lay Lady Lay' is one of my all time favorites...one of my favorites albums by jourgensen too which most don't like...

there are a couple of local punk bands around here that do covers, the first one is a band called Small Town Massacre, they do a bad ass cover of Talking Head's 'Psycho Killer'...the second band is called The Put-Downs and they do a version of the Buzzcocks 'What Do I Get?' that nails me to the floor every time and stays in my head for days...

Revolting Cocks rendition of Rod Stewart's 'Do Ya' Think Im Sexy' is a strip joint classic...

The Vandals covering 'Kokomo' and Grease's 'Summer Lovin'' are zippy and
powerful...good fun...

Snapcase does a covers album, they covered a few Devo songs, most notably a favorite of mine, 'Gates of Steel'...

i know there's others but damned if i can think of 'em at the moment...

the weirdest one i can think of would have to be Chrome's deconstructed version of 'I Left My Heart In San Francisco'...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Post by Isolation » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:21 pm

does anyone know if anyone's ever covered The Big Bopper's 'Chantilly Lace'? the Bopper is from my area and i thought it would be tres cool to do a cover of that song...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:30 pm

Isolation wrote:there are a couple of local punk bands around here that do covers
Oh yeah, you reminded me of the best of the best: the Avengers' "Paint It Black" Although the Residents' version of it is pretty good, too now as I think about it. (Though nowhere near the genius of their "It's a Man's World")
Isolation wrote:Revolting Cocks rendition of Rod Stewart's 'Do Ya' Think Im Sexy' is a strip joint classic...
I love that. Playing that record insures gettin' some.

I've got at least three versions of "Down in the Park" by Gary Numan. One is a Christian Death bootleg which is awesome (speaking of which, their cover of "1983, a Merman I should turn to be" by J. Hendrix is great! Gitane Demone's got a fantastic voice!). Then there's the NIN/Marilyn stupid one that everybody's heard, and then there's the one by the Foo Fighters off of the X-Files "tribute" fan disc. ...Which rocks, hard.