how do i get that effect...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
hearmeout
audio school

how do i get that effect...

Post by hearmeout » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:41 pm

i was listening to some good electronica with sampled drums, and the producer made the drums sound like they were off in the distance in the back somewhere afar from everything else, but they were still audible...
it seems as if its a mixture of reverb, dynamics, and a few panning tricks...or how do i go about getting this type of effect?

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Re: how do i get that effect...

Post by psychicoctopus » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:47 pm

without hearing what you're talking about, I'll make some guesses: maybe they used drum samples that were recorded with a distant mic. or maybe it was a very short, wet reverb.

stereo phase trickery w/ a short reverb can give the impression of the drums being far away. if the sound is diffused into a wide stereo image, that can contribute to the far-away effect. a short reverb with lots of early reflections.
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

hearmeout
audio school

Post by hearmeout » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:47 pm

no, the drums were sampled off of vinyl. and whats the meaning of "wet" reverb? I'm familiar w/ the term but not its actual meaning or what its difference is between a regular reverb. let me find the song, and i'll give you a link where you can find it.

Madguitrst
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Madguitrst » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:01 pm

Wet reverb = lots of reverb.
Basically, wet always refers to the effect and dry to the instrument or sound.
Dry = no effect/reverb

I think the effect you're talking about is that the volume of the reverb was high but the direct sound (the drums) was low, basically approximating what would occur in nature. Example: If someone were to play a drum well off in the distance, by the time the sound reached you it would be mostly reflections, ie: mostly reverberated.

In general and on most typical recordings, the volume of the instrument is louder than the reverb. If the volume of the instrument is low and the volume of the reverb is significantly louder, the instrument will sound as if it's off in the distance.

Or something like that..............
The Madguitrst has left the building.

hearmeout
audio school

Post by hearmeout » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:09 pm

i really cant recall what song it was, but these songs have the same effect (by the same artist) listen to all 4...sorry, but all have their similiarities and differences on the effect im speakin of, thanks!

http://www.ninjatune.net/getreal.php?fi ... 29%2F06.rm

http://www.ninjatune.net/getreal.php?fi ... 36%2F03.rm

http://www.ninjatune.net/getreal.php?fi ... 36%2F01.rm

http://www.ninjatune.net/getreal.php?fi ... 48%2F06.rm

hearmeout
audio school

Post by hearmeout » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:11 pm

LISTEN to the songs above w/ a good pair of headphones!! the best way i can describe it is as if the drums are placed in the back of your skull...listen to the drums!

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:38 am

sorry, no realmedia for me. boycott! I respect ninja tune, tho.

jebjerome
takin' a dinner break

Post by jebjerome » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:40 am

The first one sounds like drum samples in a room. the depth sounds like the room sound contrasting with the upfront electronic drums which gives some depth.

Second one, you can hear different room sounds on different samples. He may have added a little reverb to the samples, but it very well could just be the ambience of the original recordiing. Alot of jazz records sound like that.

Third one, again probably ambience of the recording and some additional reverb on the whole "kit".

Fourth, more upfront, but some room sound.

He uses a lot of reverb on everything and/or samples with a fair amount of ambience, so it gets a little dense and hard to tell where the reflections are from, but I think much of it is the original recording and sometimes supplement. Some may have a slight and subtle delay too. That's what I hear. He's good at getting interesting samples.
<i>who shot...
What, who, the bazooka was who
And to my rescue, it was the S1Ws - PE</i>
Jeb

hearmeout
audio school

Post by hearmeout » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:48 am

yea, how do i get that type of ambience? i mean you do feel me on the part where it sonds like the drums are in the back of your skull or ears, you know...its in the back somewhere...but still good enoug to hear..is this a combination of reverb and eq'ing?

jebjerome
takin' a dinner break

Post by jebjerome » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:13 am

If you are recording drums, record them in a nice sounding room. Set up some room mics in places that sounds good and play with the distance from the kit until you get the depth you want to achieve. Record to analog, use dark mics, and/or roll off some high end to help get those sounds.

If you're sampling, find samples that sound like those that you like- 40-60s jazz with nice drum solos recorded in nice sounding rooms.

If you're recording digitally, you may want to play with convolution reverbs-Altiverb and such- until you find that room sound that sounds like it's in the back. Other reverbs too can get similar effects. Maybe try drums alone to begin with running through the reverb at 100% mix, play with the time, reflections and depth until you get it in the space you want, back off a bit. Bring your other elements in and see where it all sits. Again, rolling off highs helps with the depth and maybe try some analog tape emulation plugs to help get that sound.
<i>who shot...
What, who, the bazooka was who
And to my rescue, it was the S1Ws - PE</i>
Jeb

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:52 am

try flipping the polarity of one channel of the drum track. in stereo, it will sound like it's coming from a different space outside the rest of the mix. you lose mono compatibility this way.

who listens to electronica in mono anyway?