HIT FACTORY NYC CALLS IT AN ERA......

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Re: HIT FACTORY NYC CALLS IT AN ERA......

Post by Fieryjack » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:30 am

We all should be trying to make the "best" recordings in whatever space and with whatever equipment we have at our disposal.
Great post hulahalau, it doesn't hurt to be reminded of this EVERY DAY....thanks

hulahalau
gettin' sounds

Post by hulahalau » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:20 pm

Fieryjack wrote:
We all should be trying to make the "best" recordings in whatever space and with whatever equipment we have at our disposal.
Great post hulahalau, it doesn't hurt to be reminded of this EVERY DAY....thanks
Thanks. Let's all get back to work and fun!

wenley
takin' a dinner break

Post by wenley » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:56 pm

'Even stranger to me is recording schools opening new facilities left and right while the studios that are going to give their suckers, er, students jobs when they graduate are shutting down just as fast.'

hey - you gotta make a buck...education is where it's at...
Seems like NYU could have bought the damn place...they've certainly got the money, but maybe not compared to a developer.

Still all the history of that place is amazing, and the fact that the ones who are losing out (engineers, techs, staff, producers who love the room) is a drag.

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:21 pm

Last time NYU bought a NY musical landmark (the palladium) they made it into dorms. :(

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:33 pm

Hey, let's all put our money together and BUY IT!!!

Seriously though, I can't imagine someone wouldn't want this place with all its charm. What else would they do with the space?
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

GregW
audio school graduate

Post by GregW » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:32 am

jmiller wrote:Reminds me of a joke i heard the other day. How do you make a million dollars in the recording business? Well, first you start with two million...
What's the difference between a soundman and a pizza? A pizza can feed a family of four.

But anyway, I have my day gig which I hate. (Don't we all? At least until we get downsized.) I have it mostly for paying for equipment...having a family is not an option! I do live mixing and recording, and I'm trying to do audio for picture as well. Bands seem to like my work (Fools, all!! : -) I have a feeling that if I hooked up with more people in the industry at the same level, then we'd all get somewhere. I'm sure advertising, and a dose of salesmanship, and a web site worthy of the name wouldn't hurt.

So, make contacts and diversify. Maybe that's the key.

(Now, if only other people in the industry would ever return a phone call or email. Screw it, I'll do it myself! :-P )

But don't ever give it up!!! If it's fun, and you can pay your bills SOMEHOW (i.e., with a day job) then keep doing audio. Everyone needs a hobby, and if it can't be more than that, oh well, do it whenever possible. I gave up some years ago, and then a little incident concerning planes and tall buildings told me life's too damn short. I think I needed the break, and I still freelanced, but still...

I think there will always be a need for us. Many bands have said "Yeah, we can do this on our own, but we don't want to bother; we'd rather pay someone to tweak the knobs." Some will do it themselves, and that's fine, but many will be willing to pay. As for the big studios: They'll always be around, too, for those bands who not only want to have someone else tweak the knobs but want to go to the next level. There may not be as many big studios, but some will always be here.

So, how's this: Make contacts, diversify, don't give up, do it as much as possible.

(I'll be following my own advice this weekend and next: a live gig two hours away Saturday, an on-site in a church an hour away all next week, another on-site an hour away next weekend. Who said Feb. is a dead zone?? :- )

-GRW
N.O.M.A.D. Travelling Recording Studio.
http://world.std.com/~grw
"Keep it off my wave" -Soundgarden
"America may not be perfect, but it's done fu***** all right by me." -John Valby

hollywood_steve
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hollywood_steve » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:02 pm

I'm just waiting for the day a few years from now when someone wants to record an orchestra and can't find any studio with a live room big enough to hold them!

This whole "we can make good records in our bedrooms" attitude is fine and wonderful, but it only works with some very specific kinds of music. What about classical, big bands, 60 person gospel choirs, etc.? Are all of those sessions going to take place in North Dakota because every big studio within 500 miles of a city was converted to condos?

Yes, a lot of these sessions can be done on location in concert halls, large churches, etc. And as a location guy, I look forward to more work, but it seems like we're moving backwards, this certainly isn't progress. I can't imagine any person who ever had the thrill of working in one of the "great" studios not being very bummed out at the thought of them all disappearing.

One of the reasons that I held out from putting together a "home studio" for so long was that I'd rather spend one day per month in a fantastic place than have unlimited access to a bedroom studio. Soon I may not have that choice, and that really sucks.
Steve
Lexington 125 - High Resolution Location Recording

lex125@pacbell.net
www.lexington125.com