best mic for my bong?

Locked
User avatar
psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio
Posts: 890
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 3:01 am
Location: Austin, TX

best mic for my bong?

Post by psychicoctopus » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:11 am

what song has the best bong sample? should the bong be miked close to the bowl, on the tube, or at the carb? or a stereo pair set back a few feet?

it's hard to record a lighter, I've found. there's a lot of transient detail in the lighter sound and it doesn't come through well with a cheap condenser mic.
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

User avatar
Bear
deaf.
Posts: 1880
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:52 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Contact:

Re: best mic for my bong?

Post by Bear » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:16 am

This is one of my favorite thread titles ever.

But I need to know if this is a wizard bong we're talking about here, or a skull bong that tells the future. If it's a wizard bong, mic the bowl, and if there's someone in the room saying "dude" and "bro" a lot, mic him too. If it's a skull bong, mic the prophecy. The future will fuck you up, and the skull bong's words will take you straight to 4:20, regardless of what time it is.
I am wangtacular.

User avatar
syrupcore
deaf.
Posts: 1793
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:40 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: best mic for my bong?

Post by syrupcore » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:33 am


User avatar
psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio
Posts: 890
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 3:01 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: best mic for my bong?

Post by psychicoctopus » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:50 am

and the winner is... sm57.

heh. I already forgot about that other thread. don't I look like a stoner now.
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

User avatar
andyg666
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:25 am
Location: Witchtown, MA
Contact:

Re: best mic for my bong?

Post by andyg666 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:50 am

i used an audio technica 813b through an old mackie channel for this one. small diaphragm condenser. recorded a few years ago.

www.porkfriedrecords.com/andi/bonghit.mp3

User avatar
Piotr
tinnitus
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 12:02 pm
Location: Piortland, OR
Contact:

Re: best mic for my bong?

Post by Piotr » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:07 am

Why the 421, of course!
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

User avatar
Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel
Posts: 1528
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:29 am

Re: best mic for my bong?

Post by Mr. Dipity » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:34 am

psychicoctopus wrote:what song has the best bong sample? should the bong be miked close to the bowl, on the tube, or at the carb? or a stereo pair set back a few feet?
Easy Star All Stars Dub Side of the Moon - Money

There's a lo-fi sample on their website.

Don't know about fidelity, but it's definitley my favourite bong sample.

User avatar
Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten
Posts: 2022
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 7:22 am
Location: El Granada, Ca
Contact:

Re: best mic for my bong?

Post by Rick Hunter » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:45 am

Bear wrote:This is one of my favorite thread titles ever.

But I need to know if this is a wizard bong we're talking about here, or a skull bong that tells the future. If it's a wizard bong, mic the bowl, and if there's someone in the room saying "dude" and "bro" a lot, mic him too. If it's a skull bong, mic the prophecy. The future will fuck you up, and the skull bong's words will take you straight to 4:20, regardless of what time it is.
11.0

User avatar
Bear
deaf.
Posts: 1880
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:52 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Contact:

Re: best mic for my bong?

Post by Bear » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:17 am

Rick Hunter wrote:
Bear wrote:This is one of my favorite thread titles ever.

But I need to know if this is a wizard bong we're talking about here, or a skull bong that tells the future. If it's a wizard bong, mic the bowl, and if there's someone in the room saying "dude" and "bro" a lot, mic him too. If it's a skull bong, mic the prophecy. The future will fuck you up, and the skull bong's words will take you straight to 4:20, regardless of what time it is.
11.0
Thanks!

Image

"You will be famous and rich, and you will become a crime fighter. You will also eat some nachos later today. I have spoken while you were tokin'."
I am wangtacular.

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'
Posts: 454
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:07 am
Location: Windham, NH
Contact:

Re: best mic for my bong?

Post by djdrake13 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:06 am

I once mic'ed my buddy tryin to make some type of sippin sound, or i dont' konw what the fuck he was tryin to do.. but it came out sounding like the best bong sample I've ever heard. sounds more realistic than the real thing mic'ed. We used a Nady SCM900 mic about 4 inches from his mouth. I'll try to bring the sample in tomorrow and post it for y'all to hear.

I know its not as cool as the real thing. But if you're looking for sound quality.....
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

Spiderhead69
steve albini likes it
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:01 pm
Location: The Ice cream truck in my neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter

Re: best mic for my bong?

Post by Spiderhead69 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:26 pm

Check out The Bong Song by Butthole Surfers...

That's a killer....

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests