Mic-Pre's for Protools

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
generate
audio school graduate

Mic-Pre's for Protools

Post by generate » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:07 am

So I hear everywhere that if you're going to record with Protools one of the things that will make your songs sound warmer and richer is the use of a good ol' fashion tube mic-preamp before going into the computer. I don't have much knowledge on mic-pre's. Any recommendations on what to buy?

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Re: Mic-Pre's for Protools

Post by Huntlabs » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:23 am

http://hamptone.com/HVTP2.htm

Try one of these. If you can solder build it yourself. If not buy it assembled. Scott Hamptone is the coolest mofo on the planet too.

I use it with my 001 / Octopre / LucidAD9624.

What is you PT set up?[/url]
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

BJohnston
ass engineer

Post by BJohnston » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:26 pm

I bought some Telefunken V672 pre's in the raw from a guy in Germany for $25.00 a piece. This was before anyone was really on the trail looking for these things. You can buy them right out of board and send them off to get rack mounted. I'm know genious when it comes to reading schematics so I opted to send them to Oliver at Tab-funkenwerk. He does a great job. When it was all said and done I made out like a bandit on those things. I've got about $450.00 in them. I saw some selling the other day for $1,500. They sound amazing and I ended up saving some serious cash. Good luck. Hope this helps.

BJohnston

Greg Dixon
audio school

Post by Greg Dixon » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:30 pm

A good preamp is no more important with digital, than it is with analogue. And yes, I agree a good pre is important. Older digital dfinitely sounded harsher, but I think one of the reasons people thought that digital was cold, is because everything else they were using was cheap. A lot of peoples only experience with digital, was with budget studios, that had cheap condensers and a cheap desk. So when they bought a good pre, they went, wow!, what a difference. But it would have made just as much difference, if they were recording to 2" analogue. It's just that 2" analogue required a much bigger financial commitment and so very few people would use that with cheap gear.