?uestlove article

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

trashy
dead but not forgotten

?uestlove article

Post by trashy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:08 pm

This came up in another thread: it'd be great if tapeop could do an interview with ?uestlove.

more hiphop/rap articles would be great, in general. There is some amazing stuff going on...

yours,
Phil

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:24 pm

more electronic too. i think there is this fear of MIDI music, but more then ever these people are finding ways of making the output sound interesting.

honestly, if it's about some studio with same top-shelf pre and comp, it's gonna get skipped. CREATIVE recording is the pretense, not IDEAL recording.
boobs are life's fountain

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:12 pm

larry always says to this... "set up an interview!" there's a lack of electronic music in tape op *only* because no one actually follows through with interviews...
right, larry?

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:01 pm

TapeOpHillary wrote:larry always says to this... "set up an interview!" there's a lack of electronic music in tape op *only* because no one actually follows through with interviews...
right, larry?
that's what I'm wondering... set up the interview, but then who writes it? who gets the pics? Because if I come within ten miles of ?uestlove, I'm interviewing the dude, even if it's to put in my own magazine called "Can you believe it? Phil actually interviewed ?uestlove!!!!!!! Holy Fucking Crap!!!!!"

It'll be interviews, mostly.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:45 pm

you set up the interview, you do the interview, either you take the pics or have a photographer friend. edit it yourself.
if you don't, who will? solicit someone else that's written for tape op already if you don't feel comfortable doing it.

that's what i mean. lots of people want to see interviews in tape op with specific bands/artists, but the way that most of the articles end up in there is because the interviewers/writers solicit larry to do them...

:)

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:04 pm

TapeOpHillary wrote:you set up the interview, you do the interview, either you take the pics or have a photographer friend. edit it yourself.
if you don't, who will? solicit someone else that's written for tape op already if you don't feel comfortable doing it.

that's what i mean. lots of people want to see interviews in tape op with specific bands/artists, but the way that most of the articles end up in there is because the interviewers/writers solicit larry to do them...

:)
yeah, cool. I've written for magazines and newspapers a bunch, so I'm cool with that part of the project. With a guy like Ahmir, though, I suspect he's pretty busy - I don't know if I'm comfortable telling him that I'm with tapeop or whatever. See what I mean? I know things get delayed and articles get put aside for a bit sometimes. I'd feel weird about interviewing him and not having a date where he could see the printed thing or whatever; I'd feel weird about interviewing him knowing that it may never get printed in the magazine I'm "representing". How does tapeop work around these types of issues with the bigger name interviews?

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:09 pm

you're right about the interviews that are piled up ready and waiting. they have so many because so many people submit them.
i don't know the process larry & john use to prioritize (larry?) but if you want the interview to exist (or if you would want to read one), you should go for it and not worry about what will happen with it. it could become a bonus article if nothing else! and besides, you'd get the questions you'd want answered...answered!

you can keep your questions unrelated to what he's doing right now, but more general, so the article wouldn't seem dated. i don't know who ahmir is so i don't know if he'd have a manager or not, but do some research and see if he does. if he does, contact his manager about the interview. that usual gets the ball rolling faster.

:mrpink: hillary

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:25 am

trashy wrote: yeah, cool. I've written for magazines and newspapers a bunch, so I'm cool with that part of the project. With a guy like Ahmir, though, I suspect he's pretty busy - I don't know if I'm comfortable telling him that I'm with tapeop or whatever. See what I mean? I know things get delayed and articles get put aside for a bit sometimes. I'd feel weird about interviewing him and not having a date where he could see the printed thing or whatever; I'd feel weird about interviewing him knowing that it may never get printed in the magazine I'm "representing". How does tapeop work around these types of issues with the bigger name interviews?
This is a good point I think. It all comes down to what Tape Op is comfortable with us saying. With a moderately successful artist, we can't just call and say "can I have an interview?". But can we really say "can we do an interview for Tape Op magazine?" even if we're just doing it in the hope that it will get in? Do you guys mind us saying it's for Tape Op at that early stage?
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:17 am

Yeah. I spose an approach hinged on "I'd really like to conduct an interview with you for TapeOp mazagine, although I should probably mention that the piece may be a bonus article tucked away somewhere on the website, or else may appear in the mag proper in 3 years time. So - are you up for it or what??" might not always work very well. I dunno.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:59 am

bobbydj wrote:Yeah. I spose an approach hinged on "I'd really like to conduct an interview with you for TapeOp mazagine, although I should probably mention that the piece may be a bonus article tucked away somewhere on the website, or else may appear in the mag proper in 3 years time. So - are you up for it or what??" might not always work very well. I dunno.
:lol:
beware bee wear

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:42 pm

that reminds me, there is a chap on Fat Cat records I've been meaning to interview

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:19 pm

If you are serious about wanting to interview someone for Tape Op then drop me an email (larry @ tapeop.com) and I'll talk to you about it and send the "writer's guidelines".

Please DO NOT contact people about doing an interview for Tape Op without talking to me first. Imagine if we already had someone on it, had already done one, or were about to run another interview! It makes us all look bad.

Also remember that PHOTOS are super important. Many of the articles in the Bonus Articles section are there because of lack of photos! Imagine John's face when someone sends him out of focus prints developed at K-Mart! Ugh.

I am super interested in articles on recording music outside of the usual Tape Op fare. I also want to see more articles on women recordists. More variety. More countries. More music. When people perceive us as "indie rock" recording I cry myself to sleep...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:40 pm

email sent.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:56 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote: I also want to see more articles on women recordists.
PJ Harvey? Bjork? I would love to hear some inside info on their recording process.

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:43 pm

A Prefuse 73 article would be nice as well.

Or how about a Photek article... Maybe that has been done? Can't remember..