Logic- how sweet are the plug-ins?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dirtmachine
pluggin' in mics

Logic- how sweet are the plug-ins?

Post by dirtmachine » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:17 am

I'm on DP and the stock plugins are pretty crappy to my ears. My number one DAW priority right now is acquiring a small array of killer eq's, compressors and reverbs. Once you start pricing out 3rd party stuff it quickly exceeds the cost of a total platform switch(not to mention a decent used car) and I've heard some praise of the Logic Pro plugins. Can anyone comment on how they stack up versus some of the high end classics?

Space Designer vs. Altiverb?

Logic EQ vs. Waves?

Logic Compressors vs. UA/ Bomb Factory?

The best thing I guess would be to spend a few hours just messing around with it.... seems like everyone I know is on PT.

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:58 am

I like a lot of Logic's plugs, especially the synths, but some can sound very 'clinical' to my ears.

space designer sounds incredible, and does some amazing otherworldly stuff as well. It also runs much heavier than altiverb, if that's a concern. Space designer may not do the very 'real' sounding reverbs quite as quickly as altiverb, but that may be due to the amount of controls available to you in space designer.
I like logic's eq a lot, and it displays your waveform behind the eq curve, which I find useful. It's a very surgical feeling eq, to my ears. It is also very light on the computer, and you can easily eq every channel, without much of a cpu hit. I'm not very knowledgable with wave's eq.
I'm not that into Logic's compressors, though. Maybe because I enjoy more colored sounding comps than this. I only rarely find myself using logic's comps. If you are looking for an array of different comps, there the free digital fishphone (I think that's what their called) plugins, which have a nice gritty comp in there. It won't work for all applications, but I find it to be useful here and there.

IMO, Logic's plugs are much better than DP's, the last time I checked (v4).

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:00 pm

While I am no lover of plugins, I find the logic suite to verrry useable. Though I always defer to hardware, I think its stregths are in the EQ, some modulation effects, and instruments (definitely), but feel it is not so great for compression and limiting. The space reverb can do some stuff, but you really have to go through the impulses to find the right fit.

It's been so long since I used DP, I can't really vouch for comparisons, and I prefer the UAD stuff to waves 10 times out of 10, not to mention they are an easier company to deal with, than another aforementioned, but I digress.

Just my 2c.

Best,
H

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

d

Post by jeddypoo » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:33 pm

I'm fond of a lot of the logic plugs, but I don't like the compressors much at all. I find them to be a pain to get any real desirable results from. My old G4 was too slow for Space Designer, so I can't wait to get it working on the new machine.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:54 pm

I was surprised at how many (few) sampled rooms Space Designer shipped with (on Logic 6.4).

Did Logic 7 ship with any "famous rooms"? How do you load these in, if say, I want "Air Lyndhurst"

dirtmachine
pluggin' in mics

Post by dirtmachine » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:21 pm

ahh, it's good to be back in the warm embrace of the TOMB.
thanks for your replies. ive never used altiverb, but it seems to be much loved.

the more i monkey around with the computer, the more i want to get sounds in the real world, and just use the machine to make it all fit, ie eq comp and reverb. maybe the Universal Audio stuff is the way to go...

theistheman
pushin' record

Post by theistheman » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:36 am

I like the Space Designer reverb a lot, and for some reason it chews up less cpu on my machine than Altiverb.

As for the compressors, I must say that I LOVE the audio units multiband compressor. I can't even stand to use my old PC with Logic 5 now, as the multiband compressor has become mandatory to every mix I do. I shudder at the thought of having to use the old Steinberg multiband compressor I used to have.

I'm a Logic bigot though, as I've used it for like 6 years, so I might be the wrong one to ask.