CB RADIO MIC????

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

zak
audio school

CB RADIO MIC????

Post by zak » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:43 pm

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard or used a cb radio mic to sing through. I would imagine there would be some soldering invloved benig that every cb radio mic ive found has a five-pin plug and we would need a 1/4" plug to be compatible with recording equipment. If anyone has any suggestions about this pleeeeeeeeease let me know.

thanks in advance.

-zak.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:54 am

Some of them have 4 pin plugs, I remember putting new jacks on those in the early '80s. What brand is it? I think they even vary depending on who made them.

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Take the mic apart and find out which 2 wires are connect to the mic element. Remove the 5 pin plug and Solder the positive wire to the tip of your 1/4" and the Neg to the sleeve.

If you get them reversed it wont destroy anything the phase would just be reversed.

You may want to put an XLR connector on it.

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:01 pm

I did this once, It was a kind of hook it up to a cable plug it in and check kind of thing, not the way I would recomend, do what Rodc suggested, its a pretty cool thin lofi sound definitly worth it.

Disasteradio
pushin' record

Post by Disasteradio » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:37 pm

They're great for vocoders.. I hooked one up to my microkorg after the (terrible) gooseneck mic failed and now it's actually providing some crisp, intelligible vocoding.

The one I found has a 1/4" TRS jack on it with the talk switch closing on ring, iirc.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:53 pm

I did a brief tour opening up for Roger Miller from MOB in 1995 - he had a CB mic rigged up as an alternate vocal mic for some tunes where he wanted that cool distortion effect on his voice. I forget how he had it rigged up though. You can hear it on a couple tracks on his solo "Elemental Guitar" album.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:49 am

Yes. They work great. Put one up next to the great vocal mic you're using and print each sound to different tracks.

I have an Ektaphone that sounds fantastic. Also, a Telefunken D11B and a Grundig. The Grundig's were very popular for a while- about 50 years ago!

kingquasar
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kingquasar » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:58 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:Yes. They work great. Put one up next to the great vocal mic you're using and print each sound to different tracks.
I second that. They're great for doubling. To add to this, I like to leave the "good" track dry and apply any effects (delays especially) to the CB track. Because of the narrow bandwidth, they'll cut through but not get in the way of too much else. Try harmony vocals through them, too. If you're savvy, you can wire the push-in switch to ground out the signal while it's not engaged so it works like you would expect it to.

-kQ

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:39 pm

stupid question..
don't these need juice..?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:25 pm

The bass player I work with used to do a RIDICULOUS routine with a CB radio at gigs (at least when they were in populated area) involving a loudly amplified attempt to engage in intelligent conversation with random passersby (ie, not at the gig) who happened to be monitoring and responding via CB radio. I witnessed it only twice but he claims that at his finest hour he kept somebody talking for twelve minutes while the guitarists and drummer kept a quiet vamp going in the background.

Skipwave
takin' a dinner break

Post by Skipwave » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:01 pm

I also stumbled my way through making one of these several years ago. It still works and I managed to make the switch work as expected, although that turned out to be a hassle when you put it on a stand and have to keep the button depressed somehow.

Something to consider when using these is impedance. They are probably on the high side, so you may get better performance feeding a DI input than a low -Z mic input. Just a thought. What's great is that they interface perfectly with guitar effects pedals.
"I want to be champion of the world, or champion of something." -Duchamp

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:10 pm

I want to hear the recorded document of a highly overdriven, amplified CB mic swung in circles on a cord over somebody's head while the feedback wails away through a loud amp.

kingquasar
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kingquasar » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:49 pm

Skipwave wrote:...although that turned out to be a hassle when you put it on a stand and have to keep the button depressed somehow.
Rubber Band!

-kQ

zak
audio school

Post by zak » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:41 pm

wow..thanks for all the feedback. i get paid in a few days and im gonna buy a mic then. ill let you know how it turns out.

over and out.