Evil Sampler-MAX/MSP

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

theistheman
pushin' record

Evil Sampler-MAX/MSP

Post by theistheman » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:29 am

Hey guys,

I created a neato MAX/MSP instrument, the Evil Sampler. You should check it out if you've got the time:
http://the83.com

I've included both a standalone app (not midi controllable) as well as the full max patch (do what you want with it).

It won't do you too much good for recording, but it could be a neat live performance tool. I use it for making beats out of stuff I sing and play into it.

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:54 pm

would it be possible to make a .zip file so i can see if it will work on pc?

it looks like it could be very fun.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:23 pm

how do ya load samples into it?

theistheman
pushin' record

Post by theistheman » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:18 pm

crashsick wrote:would it be possible to make a .zip file so i can see if it will work on pc?

it looks like it could be very fun.
I just tested it with PC, and the standalone app doesn't work. I need to compile it with a PC that has MAX, which I don't have access to until Jan. Bummer.
eeldip wrote:how do ya load samples into it?
It's not designed like a traditional sampler where you just load samples straight-up (although the next version will probably allow that). Instead, you can open a sound file (the "box" up in the in/out section in the top-right corner-.wav or .aif), and hit the green button, which plays it back. You set the record level with the slider that's to the left of that, and select your buffer with the dropdown box that's right below where you opened the sound file. You hit record by hitting the red button by that, or you can hit the check box and it will constantly randomly select a buffer to record to and hit record for you.

This isn't the real main purpose anyway. The cooler thing to do is to select channels above which allow you to get in through the inputs on your sound card. Then you can play whatever you want into the buffers, and it'll chop it up and spit it out rhythmically. My main reason for building it was so that I can have backing tracks made on the fly for live performance.

I guess I wasn't kidding when I said that it's better for experienced MAX/MSP users...some of this stuff is pretty obvious to people who are familiar with it.

Future plans include a pluggo version of it, and probably a more user-friendly version that will be easier for non max/msp dudes to use.